Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Calgary hotel help

Alright CP hive mind, you’ve helped me a number of times with similar requests, so here goes again:

I have an event in a few weeks and I’m trying to game plan if we should spend the night at a hotel. The event is at the Deane house and we live outside the city, so it would be a late night if we drive back home. In a perfect world, I’d love to just be walking distance to the restaurant, but in my brief research it appears that is not going to work. Any thoughts on decent value hotels near the restaurant? Or should I just bite the bullet and stay at one of the nicer hotels in downtown? I used to be pretty well versed in downtown hotels, but that was way before COVID so I’m sure things have changed pretty drastically.

Thanks in advance!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:51 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s Alt Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn not far in the East Village.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:09 PM   #3
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The last hotel I stayed at in Calgary was Le Germain, which was very nice and is still pretty close to Inglewood.

A quick google says Le Germain is $30/night more than Alt, which seems like an absolute bargain to not stay in the east village.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:21 PM   #4
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
There’s Alt Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn not far in the East Village.
Those are both close but pretty dicey areas, anywhere near the drop in Center is a crapshoot and I’ve seen junkies shooting up on the south end of the Hilton garden fairly regularly. The Tim Hortons around the corner is crackhead central. Avoid the area IMO.

Depending on budget I’d suggest the Germain, hotel arts (short cab ride) or Sheraton eau Claire. Much nicer areas, they all have different things to offer after dinner as well. My pick would probably be hotel arts and go hit a bar up 10th ave after your dinner.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:27 PM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alt Hotel is great. Plus, great breakfast restaurants in the lobby.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:34 PM   #6
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should give you some context as I’ve never stayed at either Hilton Garden Inn or Alt Hotel. I’m sure the rooms and the hotel itself are very nice. I just know the area well from working downtown and it can be colourful, especially near the superstore.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:03 PM   #7
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Inglewood Bed and Breakfast is a short walk away.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:02 PM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The T&C
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:52 AM   #9
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The T&C
You'll have to break in because it's been closed for awhile and probably full of squatters. So, same as it always was.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:58 AM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Those are both close but pretty dicey areas, anywhere near the drop in Center is a crapshoot and I’ve seen junkies shooting up on the south end of the Hilton garden fairly regularly. The Tim Hortons around the corner is crackhead central. Avoid the area IMO.

Depending on budget I’d suggest the Germain, hotel arts (short cab ride) or Sheraton eau Claire. Much nicer areas, they all have different things to offer after dinner as well. My pick would probably be hotel arts and go hit a bar up 10th ave after your dinner.
Who doesn't go to the big city for some excitement?! It's all part of the experience.

Avoid the area is a bit dramatic I'll say.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:11 PM   #11
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recommend the Alt Hotel. It's a nice hotel with great views of the river, ask for a high floor. I've stayed there many times and enjoyed it.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:15 PM   #12
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd be looking at Alt or Hotel Arts in your situation.

Be sure to get a cocktail at the Nash Off-Cut bar while you're still in Inglewood after dinner is done.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:56 PM   #13
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You'll have to break in because it's been closed for awhile and probably full of squatters. So, same as it always was.
Sounds like it’s still a viable place to crash and the price couldn’t be more right!
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:58 AM   #14
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The Inglewood Bed and Breakfast is a short walk away.
Is this the one that's owned by a CP member?
I'd have to do a lot of digging to find who owns which B&B in inglewood...

and then questionable if this is still true as this was pre-covid times.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:55 PM   #15
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go with the Alt hotel too, while Riverwalk can have some undesirables it is nothing compared to the concentration you get by the Hilton Garden Inn. There is also usually plenty of pedestrian traffic along Riverwalk, even at later hours if the weather is nice.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:27 PM   #16
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Definitely a bit more happening (in a good way) around the Alt Hotel in the East Village. A couple of "proper" coffee options, more restaurants, etc. If I was visiting, I'd rather walk out of the front door in the morning of the Alt Hotel vs. the Hilton Garden Inn, for sure.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:11 PM   #17
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Already said multiple times but the Alt hotel is the move. Walk 9th to 6th and it’s maybe 10 minutes tops and unlikely you’ll encounter anything concerning. Maybe a $5 or less Uber if that’s a worry (I don’t know, it’s like a minute drive so it can’t cost much).

The drop in is on the other side and for whatever reason the Alt hotel area acts as a weird barrier where you’ll see a LOT of homeless people and addicts like… 2 minutes past the Alt hotel… but not really between it and Inglewood (or in Inglewood much at all). There’s housing on the Inglewood side of the Alt with young people and families so it keeps the area pretty safe.

Also second getting a drink in Inglewood at Off Cut or Ol B, or hitting the patio at CharBar. Might as well turn it up while you’re in town.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:37 PM   #18
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks everyone for your input! Looks like Alt Hotel is about $225 all in and Le Germain is $275, so I think I’d take the $50 and get some nice drinks with it.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 10:26 PM   #19
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Who doesn't go to the big city for some excitement?! It's all part of the experience.

Avoid the area is a bit dramatic I'll say.
Meh to each their own. I’ve spent a ton of time, street level in that area. My personal favourite moment was watching one junkie take a roller blade (from god knows where he got it) and he smashed another junkie in the mouth with it. 3 times. Never seen anyone’s face caved in like that before. That was half a block from the Simmons building.

There’s also the group of 10+ men near the LRT crossing next to superstore who get high and drunk everyday. Constantly they scream at each other and once in a while you get a budget boxing match
Old 04-12-2024, 07:13 AM   #20
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Not everyone needs to be scared to even enter an area because someone who is supposedly there a ton has a couple fun stories.

I pass directly by the Alt or pop into Phil’s for coffee (or Sidewalk Citizen for breakfast, Phils + SW is a great combo for your morning after breakfast), 3+ days a week and I’ve never seen anything so dramatic. The people walking their dogs and pushing their kids around in strollers between there and St Patrick’s Island aren’t afraid, so I’m sure one adult man who will walk through it for 10 minutes will survive.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: