Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default DECK Questions

I figured that since CalgaryPuck seems to come up as one of the first few hits on Google whenever I am searching for anything about Calgary that it might be a good idea to ask my questions here.

I'm building a deck and I'm curious about a few things:

I know you're supposed to call the city when your framing is complete to have them come and sign off on it.* How critical is it? Are there penalties for not having it done?

When the city does come for a framing inspection do they measure deck heights from grade? I was a tad off on my height from grade (4'6" on permit, 5'2" in real life ) because I was planning on having more loam delivered to build up the base post construction. I estimated the final grade as 4'6" to avoid having to apply for a development permit which I was told was required for structures above 4'11" from grade.

I wanted to frame out some lattice with 2"x4"s and run it along the top of the handrail on both sides of the deck for some added privacy. I was going to attach the framed lattice to the rail posts which would run up to the top of the lattice. I didn't put this in my building permit. Am I screwed if I do this before a framing inspection? Am I screwed if I do it and any neighbors complain to the city about it since it was not on my building permit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

* This is all based on obtaining a permit from the city.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would say my deck inspection was one of the easiest city inspections I ever had. I was about 4' off the ground and he didn't measure; but being over 5' might be a little different.

My railings also ended up different than what I had on my plan. As long as it is to code I can't see it being an issue. That's the big thing the inspector is looking for- is it to code.

If you can do it after; I would though. Just easier. I wouldn't worry about a neighbour calling either. With the number of people who build decks without a permit- I would guess the city would pull up the file and tell the neighbour "he had a permit."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, Ken.

and El Bumparoni.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't even get a permit to build my deck - oops.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I didn't even get a permit to build my deck - oops.
Thanks for your contribution.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The framing should be inspected as part of the building permit, but you aren't hiding the framing work like you do on the interior of the house - the inspection could happen anytime in the future.

The building inspector shouldn't worry at all about development permit issues. He really should only be looking at building code related issues. The lattice isn't code related.

Worst case scenario if someone would complain is that you would have to get a development permit after the fact. If you don't annoy the neighbours, they shouldn't complain. If your deck isn't of absurd proportions, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a DP after the fact, if need be. I wouldn't really worry about it.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Build your deck to code, and don't worry about it too much, especially if you applied for a building permit. The framing inspection is paid for with the building permit, so it won't cost you anything, and you shouldn't have to worry about the lattice. If you are worried, just get the deck inspected, then build the lattice after.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
The framing should be inspected as part of the building permit, but you aren't hiding the framing work like you do on the interior of the house - the inspection could happen anytime in the future.

The building inspector shouldn't worry at all about development permit issues. He really should only be looking at building code related issues. The lattice isn't code related.

Worst case scenario if someone would complain is that you would have to get a development permit after the fact. If you don't annoy the neighbours, they shouldn't complain. If your deck isn't of absurd proportions, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a DP after the fact, if need be. I wouldn't really worry about it.
Unfortunately, it is of absurd proportions. Top deck is 9 feet x 16 feet and lower deck is 11 feet x 20 feet. The upside? The absurd proportions are in the building permit.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Unfortunately, it is of absurd proportions. Top deck is 9 feet x 16 feet and lower deck is 11 feet x 20 feet. The upside? The absurd proportions are in the building permit.
I'd get your framing inspection done, you paid for it after all. Like I said, the inspector should just be worried about building code issues. If the deck is up to code, you have nothing to worry about it. If the deck isn't up to code, it would be a good idea to to know about it so that you get get it fixed.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Fleaburn
Draft Pick

5'2" could be an issue. I believe in most areas of the city, the land use bylaw allows the maximum deck height to be 1.5 m above grade (just under 5') unless it is over a walkout basement. Anything more than 5' that would be a variance from the bylaw and you would need a development permit as well as a building permit.

I have a similar problem in that my existing deck is 5'2" and I want to replace it. The city told me I need a development permit even though it was already an existing deck that was permitted before the 2007 land use bylaw. I am think of doing a bit of landscaping to lower the height above grade to less than 5'.
Fleaburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
mrbanffgirl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you built everything as per plan (the deck part itself) and the height ends up being over by a few inches, it is very unlikely your inspector will cause an issue with it. I design home, and have had them end up being over the specified height by as much as 10 inches, and the inspector has only made up amend the drawings, worst case was we had to apply for a variance, but we could still work on the house. as long as you didn't stray too far from the plans submitted for you BP you should be fine. If you were over by more that 12" you would have a problem. more likely than not the inspector will look to make sure the thing looks like what you said you were going to build and is to code. the biggest thing to be wary of it your railing on any deck above 2 feet. make sure the railing spindles are to code and don't move, other wise you'll be rebuilding the railing!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had a helluva time getting our permit for our deck. It's 28 inches above grade and is 20 feet (the width of the house) by 10 feet. The guy approving the permit made me redundantly label a whole bunch of things on the plans and then wouldn't approve it until I changed the plan to include 3 16 inch diameter, 5 foot deep piles. In the end we got the permit but didn't actually call for the framing inspection because, as it turns out, 16 inch piles can only be drilled by specialized heavy equipment. We did 12 inch piles and the guy drilling them told us they were the largest piles he's ever done for a deck that size. All in all, was a terribly trying experience. No wonder so many people do things like this without permits.

Oh, and so far, no repercussions for not following up with the permit. Honestly, we hugely overbuilt the deck. If the city came along and told me they had problems with it I would throw a fit. There's a guy across the lane from us whose deck came in just under the 24 inch floor for not needing a permit and the thing is a total piece of junk. I would be afraid to stand on it, yet somehow his is legal and mine is technically not to code (according to the guy issuing the permit). Go figure.

Last edited by Aegypticus; 07-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

First off, thank you for all your replies.

Secondly, a further question.

In order to raise the grade I would need to throw dirt/stone under the entire deck. Is there any sort of powered soil/gravel/fill thrower that I could rent to make this job slightly less crappy? A soil conveyer or something?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is there any sort of powered soil/gravel/fill thrower that I could rent to make this job slightly less crappy? A soil conveyer or something?

is there a local equipment rental company you can contact? i know in kelowna there are a few of them so i'd imagine that calgary would have a bunch. if they don't have something like that they hopefully can point you in the right direction.

sorry i'm not much help, but that's where i'd start
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
is there a local equipment rental company you can contact? i know in kelowna there are a few of them so i'd imagine that calgary would have a bunch. if they don't have something like that they hopefully can point you in the right direction.

sorry i'm not much help, but that's where i'd start
No, that's a good point. That's help enough for me. Sometimes I forget about the simple things.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Bump.

So I was thinking of going with a composite deck top like Trex, but I've read a lot of horror stories about that stuff not lasting very long.

So I guess my only other option really is wood...what is the best kind of wood to use (that will last the longest)? Also, is there a wood that will be less likely to give slivers in bare feet, or is that just a function of sanding?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the best decking material you can use.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Cool thanks. Just checked that out tonight and it is amazing. It'll be $5000 just for the top of my deck, wood only with that stuff. I'm going to have to think about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why would you mess around with that other stuff when you can use cedar for less cost?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Why would you mess around with that other stuff when you can use cedar for less cost?
I'm concerned it's so soft that the deck will be a marked up mess. I was at Totem tonight and I scratched the cedar with my fingernail and it left an impression. Love the price, though.