Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
The execution of ideas might be different (due to restrictions that were torn down in Soviet Russia), but the mindset is the same.
...and boom goes the dynamite.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #42
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Would you support an in part, publicly funded, not for profit university system like we have up here in Canada?
They already have that in their state universities. For residents of the state, the tuition at those places isn't much different than universities in Canada.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem with "less government" is there is really no other way to provide things that we find, as a society, to be worthwhile - like education and health care for people who couldn't otherwise afford it, disaster relief, etc. Without government regulations, there is no real way to ensure environmental protection - private industry acts for the benefit of their shareholders, not to the world at large. I suspect that Hurricane Sandy caused a few undecideds to come down on the side of "government has a role".

There is no question that some goverment spending is BS but with oversight and social media that will change.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Less government to me doesn't mean hacking up the EPA or Department of Ed. It means less restrictions like no large soda's in NY
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #45
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A little off topic and I lost track, but does anyone know if Trump got the million dollars from Colberts Superpac? Was there ball dipping?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #46
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

True, charities and private scholarship foundations couldn't possibly provide education&health care for the poor, not to mention both the health care system and education system couldn't possibly function more efficiently and be more cost effective and therefore cheaper.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
True, charities and private scholarship foundations couldn't possibly provide education&health care for the poor, not to mention both the health care system and education system couldn't possibly function more efficiently and be more cost effective and therefore cheaper.
Show us one example of a nation where that is working?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #48
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Show us one example of a nation where that is working?
?

I said it's impossible. Wouldn't want to rely on private donations to the poor from people who want to take care of the poor using public funds. They might be de-masked as hypocrites, and we don't want that.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #49
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I am glad that it is Obama - not Romney - that is in office to deal with the current international quandaries. Not because I like Obama's foreign policy but because Romney's embarrassing lack thereof which would have been heavily influenced by the same neo-cons that took advantage of the last Republican President that was uninterested in foreign policy.

I am much more hopeful for Susan Rice as Secretary of State, but regardless of who takes over (even if it was Romney/Senor) can we evaluate Clinton's tenure as SOS as anything but a failure?

She leaves with a hot war raging in Israel, a humanitarian crisis in Syria, a desperate coutry approaching nuclear capabilities, an "ally" in Pakistan that is using American debt to fuel their own military capabilities against a more sensible ally (India), and the expansion of decades-long willingness to engage in murdering whomever the CIA or White House please without regard for the sovereignty of the nations encroached upon or the lack of a trial afforded to underage American citizens.

Her appointment looks to be little more than a coalescing of the Democratic party for electoral purposes from a wily President that entrenched the vicious elements of previous administrations he had pledged to reform.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #50
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Now that the bold Romney/Ryan plan of "let congress figure it out" has been rejected, and congressional Republicans steadfastly refuse to increase rates, where are additional revenues in tax code going to come from?

Top ten by $ http://www.politico.com/news/stories...065.html?hp=f3
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #51
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

In the interest of posting something that reflects well on the policy positions of Republicans, they actually put out an ideological argument against current copyright law.

http://mobile.slate.com/articles/bus...committee.html

They quickly recanted, presumably under corporate pressure to do so, but I find it difficult to embrace (or even respect) the policy positions the GOP presently hold. Those of you who are bemoaning the "bashing" that the Repubs are getting...what current & specific policies do you admire?

I'm looking forward to what Elizabeth Warren will sponsor, and expect it to be considered and admirable, even if I disagree with the specifics.
Who should I have high hopes for on the right?
Paul Ryan and his "mystery meat" budget?
Marco Rubio who thinks the age of the Earth is a theological dispute?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #52
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
They already have that in their state universities. For residents of the state, the tuition at those places isn't much different than universities in Canada.
But instate tuition is a lot cheaper than out of state tuition and plenty of schools make it almost impossible for instate students to get into their schools rather taking the out of state students that pay a crap ton more.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #53
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Deleted some posts, the previous politics thread got locked partially because it had stopped being about anything other than bickering and name calling.

Rather than take a bunch of time to try and edit out insults and leave content in posts, we're just going to delete entire posts that focus on the poster rather than the topic, and all posts that quote it too.. so if you want your point to not get deleted, best not to engage someone else who's talking about you rather than your point and just ignore them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Would you support an in part, publicly funded, not for profit university system like we have up here in Canada?
Post-secondary education and health care should be be non-profit industries.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #55
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
I am glad that it is Obama - not Romney - that is in office to deal with the current international quandaries. Not because I like Obama's foreign policy but because Romney's embarrassing lack thereof which would have been heavily influenced by the same neo-cons that took advantage of the last Republican President that was uninterested in foreign policy.

I am much more hopeful for Susan Rice as Secretary of State, but regardless of who takes over (even if it was Romney/Senor) can we evaluate Clinton's tenure as SOS as anything but a failure?

She leaves with a hot war raging in Israel, a humanitarian crisis in Syria, a desperate coutry approaching nuclear capabilities, an "ally" in Pakistan that is using American debt to fuel their own military capabilities against a more sensible ally (India), and the expansion of decades-long willingness to engage in murdering whomever the CIA or White House please without regard for the sovereignty of the nations encroached upon or the lack of a trial afforded to underage American citizens.

Her appointment looks to be little more than a coalescing of the Democratic party for electoral purposes from a wily President that entrenched the vicious elements of previous administrations he had pledged to reform.
How much of a difference could any other SOS make? Not sure all of that is her fault. Seems like the cards fell into place with the US not being able to do much about it. Obama is playing the Syria crisis right in my books. Not sure what else we can do but to sit back and let them fight it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #56
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...voters/265002/

As a centreist/small c conservative, I would not vote Republican if I was an American. Their pandering to racists, teabaggers, creationists and the generally uneducated has finally come home to roost. This piece explains it pretty clearly. Unfortunately for the GOP, they just don't see it. And yes, I believe Rush Limbaugh is the worst thing that has ever happened to the right. The angry old white guys can stay angry all they want, but it won't get them the Senate or White House.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #57
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, let's just simplify the tax code and eliminate loopholes.

It's hard to think of any statement that on its surface sounds less controversial. Eliminating loopholes means more revenue. Everyone likes simplification.

Efficiency!

So why doesn't it happen?

This fantastic chart from Credit Suisse's Neal Soss is the answer. It shows the top 20 biggest "Tax Expenditures" which cost the government over $900 billion in the 2012 fiscal year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-t...itures-2012-11
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

The easiest one to eliminate on that list is probably the mortgage interest deduction, but even that would be very unpopular.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #59
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't you cap most of those so that it'll affect people that make 250K+?

Say like on the mortgage interest thing, why not have it so that properties that sell for over say 2 million do not get that write off.

Remove the exemption on capital gains

stuff like that.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #60
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Or maybe get rid of everything and start over again.
Closed Thread

Tags
clinton 2016 , context , democrat , history , obama rules! , politics , republican