and congrats btw on the impending arrival
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotato View Post
Thanks to CorporateJay for the message with his findings! Thanks to everyone in here for the comments as well, much appreciated.

My own research has found that the cord blood banks oversell the benefits of the cord blood, much like Canada 02 posted. The most common disease that cord blood is used for is childhood leukaemia, however you cannot use your own cord blood for this, as the defect is present in the cord blood as well.
I always thought it was more like you could use it if some other subsequent child needed a bone marrow transplant. I don't have any kids so I've never looked into it, although a pretty significant family history of leukemia means I'd probably spend the money for even a slim potential benefit.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This is nonsense. I sent you a PM
I disagree that it's nonsense. I think there's only around a 0.02% chance that you'll actually need it for any reason. Even in the unlikely event you do need it, doctors don't want to use it because it contains the same genetic defect they're trying to treat.

Better off to donate it or do delayed clamping.

Last edited by Grimbl420; 04-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #24
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my research, I looked at the odds the $2000 or whatever would do my kid any good (including collection and storage costs for 20 years). The odds are remote. If I wanted to do something to help my kid with the $2000, I'd be better off buying life insurance or investing it for education. Setting aside the $2000 to pay for cabs when partying would probably do more statistically for the health of your child than saving the cord blood.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #25
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
I disagree that it's nonsense. I think there's only around a 0.02% chance that you'll actually need it for any reason. Even in the unlikely event you do need it, doctors don't want to use it because it contains the same genetic defect they're trying to treat.

Better off to donate it or do delayed clamping.

You said it was basically a scam, it's not a scam, that is nonsense.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #26
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
You said it was basically a scam, it's not a scam, that is nonsense.
Paying someone for a 1/20,000 chance you'll need it, and even if you do it carries the same defects you need it for. It's my opinion, but it sounds like a scam to me.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #27
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

bump! we're expecting soon and I'm thinking of registering by next week!

Any feed back, who's good to use?

I guess I should say, I will be doing it ~$2000-$5000 for a 0.02% chance of usage for my babe is worth it.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

$200,000 is worth it so they can live FOREVER!

http://www.alcor.org/BecomeMember/index.html

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #29
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just had a baby and I didn't even know this was a thing.

Wouldn't have done it anyway, that cost is absurd.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit, this is one of those "It's for my child's future" moments that the industry gets you on. I'm no expert, but you can't help but wonder if stem cell research results in future treatments where having 50-75ml of cord blood is absolutely invaluable in the future.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #31
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Delayed cord-clamping over cord blood storage.

Cord blood storage is more or less a money grab (unless you donate rather than store privately). Cord blood is usually more beneficial for a sibling that has an illness, whereas the cord contains a significant amount of the babies own blood that can be beneficial in increasing iron levels, decreasing the chance of jaundice, and higher haemoglobin levels. It is an immediate benefit to your child, rather than a possible benefit down the road.

Cord blood banks (private) can refuse storage if it doesn't reach certain standards that they have. You pay prior to banking, and if storage is rejected your money isn't rejected. Refusal of storage can result from the blood not being delivered on time, if there isn't enough stem cells in the cord blood, as well as any compliance issue with Health Canada Regulations (blood sugar levels can be included in this).

Delayed cord clamping is becoming a more common practice, so much that doctors are even performing this procedure for C-section patients as they recognise benefits towards baby and mom.

If you do still decide to go with cord blood storage, all storage facilities are regulated by Health Canada so a higher price does not mean a higher standard of banking.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #32
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Dammit, this is one of those "It's for my child's future" moments that the industry gets you on. I'm no expert, but you can't help but wonder if stem cell research results in future treatments where having 50-75ml of cord blood is absolutely invaluable in the future.

High probability
MotoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #33
Knut

Exp:

http://www.skepticnorth.com/2010/08/...ype-or-hope-2/

This gives a good overview if you really want to get into the science. The main points were covered pretty well before.

It is likely better to just donate it to a bank. The chance of actually having to use your own babies cord blood is extremely small and the $3000 (total cost over 18 years) is likely not worth it.

Sure it could come in handy one day, but the current evidence points to it not being that beneficial.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #34
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think you can no longer donate in Calgary, only Edmonton.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #35
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Cord Blood Storage in Calgary?

From nurse in Calgary who works on unit involved with stem cell patient care;

"Seen patients wait months for stem cell match. When you have a chemo treatment for example a stem cell transplant is a miracle. Go from weeks recovery to days instantly. I wouldn't think twice about private or at least donate"

All I need to hear regardless what any non-medical professional opinions are.

Last edited by MotoRacer; 04-18-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #36
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacer View Post
From nurse in Calgary who works on unit involved with stem cell patient care;

"Seen patients wait months for stem cell match. When you have a chemo treatment for example a stem cell transplant is a miracle. Go from weeks recovery to days instantly. I wouldn't think twice about private or at least donate"

All I need to hear regardless what any non-medical professional opinions are.
With my son being born all of 4 days ago, cord clamping and cord blood storage came up as a topic of conversation while my wife was in early stages of dilation. There were two nurses present, our midwife, towards the end of the conversation a doctor. All of them agreed that cord blood storage is a sham and delayed cord clamping is the way to go.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #37
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Cord Blood Storage in Calgary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
With my son being born all of 4 days ago, cord clamping and cord blood storage came up as a topic of conversation while my wife was in early stages of dilation. There were two nurses present, our midwife, towards the end of the conversation a doctor. All of them agreed that cord blood storage is a sham and delayed cord clamping is the way to go.

We did both delayed clamp and storage... Our staff was pretty much clueless as well... You can only donate from 5 canadian hospitals currently is likely why

https://www.blood.ca/en/cordblood

https://www.blood.ca/stem-cells

Last edited by MotoRacer; 07-01-2015 at 11:30 AM.