Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 07:45 AM   #21
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Rafa is victorious in his return to the tour 7-5 6-1 over Dominic Thiem.
Pages on the calendar continue to turn but one constant remains; Rafael Nadal
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:25 AM   #22
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Naomi Osaka and Emma Raducanu also recorded wins after a long layoff from the WTA tour. Nice to have both of them back playing in addition to Rafa.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 08:46 AM   #23
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, at the United Cup last night, Chile upset Greece last night as Tsitsipas did not play singles (bad back), but did team up with Maria Sakkari for mixed doubles. It did come down to mixed doubles and Chile took it 10-6 in the third set super-breaker.

Canada takes on Greece later today, no word as of yet on whether Felix will play. A win over Greece would put Canada at the top of their group, if they win a match, but lose to Greece 2-1, we'll likely need to get out the calculators to determine who ends up at the top of the group.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #24
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

And we're off to Sydney, Whitsunday and then Melbourne. My Wife is hoping to see Rafa play one more time. Not looking forward to this plane ride though. Later CP.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 09:51 AM   #25
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
And we're off to Sydney, Whitsunday and then Melbourne. My Wife is hoping to see Rafa play one more time. Not looking forward to this plane ride though. Later CP.
Have a great time!! Post pictures when you can
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2024, 11:39 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really dig the Australian stadiums with the open air roofs (Brisbane and Sydney). For the size of the country they have some fantastic tennis venues.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:57 AM   #27
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post

Tell me everything so I can live vicariously through you
Old 01-02-2024, 02:51 PM   #28
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Steven Diez will be playing singles again for Canada today as Felix's knee continues to bother him. Tsitispas has a wonky back even though he did play mixed doubles alongside Sakkari yesterday. Currently, Felix is scheduled to play mixed doubles with Leylah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM   #29
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742346590185025604
Old 01-02-2024, 07:07 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, Rafa!

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis-r...032058980.html

Quote:
"Since I have a memory of tennis, (Federer) is the player who has impressed me the most, the one who has entertained me the most, the one who has moved me the most," Nadal said in an interview with El Pais.
Quote:
"Watching Federer play has moved me more than Djokovic, and in the end, tennis is about emotion. It's the emotion that draws you to it."

Nadal said there are "several factors" that need to be weighed up in the GOAT debate, and statistics play just a minor factor. "Some I won't tell you because it's difficult for me, it's not my place to comment on them, but in terms of tennis, it's clear," Nadal said.

"It's a combination of very radical styles. Federer was perfection in terms of aesthetics, elegance and technique. I have very good technique, but technique is not the same as aesthetics. They are two different things. He had incredible technique, doing things beautifully with impressive elegance.

"We have all reinvented ourselves (and) that's why there has been this intense rivalry. We always surprised each other. Djokovic, as well, but with a difference compared to the two of us. He hasn't needed to evolve (his style) as much as we have. He hasn't suffered as many injuries. The only thing that has demanded him to improve his game has been his rivals, not physical issues. That's a difference." Djokovic has won a record 24 singles grand slam titles ahead of Nadal (22) and Federer (20).

Last edited by activeStick; 01-02-2024 at 07:09 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:45 PM   #31
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Marin Cilic with a strong case for choke of the year already only 3 days into the new year.

Remarkable loss and quite frankly he's never truly been the same player since losing that match to Guido Pella at Wimbledon 2018.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:54 PM   #32
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile in the Oeiras Indoor challenger Ugly American Aidan Mayo has an absolute raging tantrum after losing to Brit Jay Clarke.

https://www.atptour.com/en/atp-chall.../2024/2831/all

Go to the 1:55:50 mark for the blowup.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:06 AM   #33
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada was swept by Greece overnight and are out of the United Cup. I stayed up late to watch the Leylah - Sakkari match and the first set lasted over 80 minutes that Maria took in a tie-break (Leylah had two sets points earlier in the set). Leylah has yet to win a set from Maria in three matches, but I thought she played very well last night.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:50 AM   #34
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Djokovic lost to De Minaur, that's his first loss on Australian soil in almost 4 years
Old 01-03-2024, 09:27 AM   #35
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Djokovic lost to De Minaur, that's his first loss on Australian soil in almost 4 years
Novak was having some wrist issues in an earlier match this week. De Minaur has really stepped up his game in the last few months though, with the home crowd behind him, he's going to give anybody fits.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:37 AM   #36
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742891958505537947
Old 01-04-2024, 12:56 PM   #37
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is an automatic entry into qualifying or if Shapo will actually take the court. At any rate, It's better to see his name next to "In" as opposed to "Out".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742895108553400329
Old 01-04-2024, 02:01 PM   #38
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those toilet visits are often more frequent as one ages lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742848328226799784
Old 01-04-2024, 03:27 PM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Not sure if this is an automatic entry into qualifying or if Shapo will actually take the court. At any rate, It's better to see his name next to "In" as opposed to "Out".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742895108553400329
It's entry into qualifying, he was an alternate. He's not using his PR here, i think he wants some matches.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:27 PM   #40
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Denis might even be granted a main draw wildcard if enough guys withdraw according to the article below:

The former top 10 player and 2021 Wimbledon semifinalist hasn’t played since last year’s Wimbledon because of injuries, so his ranking has dropped to 109 in the world.

He has been in Auckland for most of this week, practising with other players, including Gael Monfils, in the hope that a spot would open up for him.

When he arrived in the country, his ranking wasn’t high enough to get him into the qualifying draw. However, following a couple of withdrawals the 24-year-old Shapovalov has made it into qualifying.

Classic tournament director Nicolas Lamperin is hoping that he’d be able to give Shapovalov a main draw wildcard, but to do that he needs Gael Monfils to make it into the main draw by his own ranking, which is 74 in the world.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis...at-asb-classic