Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #21
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
1)
What really has made us happy is the neighbourhood. We're active people, partly because of where we live. My neighbour told me we look like a Participation commercial. We'll do a bike ride in Fish Creek, come home and have lunch. Then walk over to the lake for a swim. Then play tennis there in the afternoon. Then hit Brewster's for wings. In the winter we'll skate around the lake, or around the bonfire, or toboggan down the hill. I honestly believe you could live a very happy, fulfilling life without ever leaving Bonavista. That, to me, is way more important than a fancy bathroom or higher ceilings. So when you ask specific questions about the physical home, there's no doubt the old one was better. But my new lifestyle and neighbourhood are better and are well worth the trade off - no regrets whatsoever about the move.
I'm starting to appreciate this as well. I'm see the value in having walkways where you can walk or bike and a pub and coffee shop nearby. Is it worth getting a bit of a worse house to live in an area with a lot of ammenities? I think so.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Been there done that

I am in the older age category now but 25 or so years ago I had the same questions.
I was the average Joe that got transferred to Calgary in the late 70's from WPG and rented for the first few years. I bought a house for next to nothing as I waited for the crash in the 8o's to sort itself out. I was one of the first streets in Lake Sundance at the time.
Hardly any house or streets were even built but ours was and the lake and the time. Trouble was my lifestyle with 2 vehicles, boat and RV just didn't fly with the the smaller lots. Had to make a decision after many tickets and warning to move my toys out of the alley that we need a new house. Well to get a nice new bigger house and a place to park my toys which has got worse since made us look elsewhere. To get bigger house and huge lot was insane so we talked it out and decided to get a decent size house in an older area with big yard for toys and enough room for the 4 kids. 1200 sq ft bungalow did the trick and huge lot to park the toys and have grass, deck etc. to boot.
We thought of a new house a few years ago but with just 2 of us left why bother. House paid for, place to park the toys, yard, deck and with kids gone we still have rooms not used.
Point is as you will get older and things will change. kids will move out and you will have more house than you think.
In laws in their 80's still have 2400 sq. ft. main living plus basement and all she does is complain that the house is too big.
If you are buying for the flip do your thing but don't forgt you may find as the family moves on for 2 the condo or smaller house may work just fine.

Just what we have found........
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #23
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just reread this thread and want to thank everyone for their thoughts. It has been really helpful. I ended up not going ahead with getting the property I first mentioned here, but am instead about to make an offer on a different one. The wife and I have really thought it through. Its something we can afford and something we really want.

Now I just got to get my head around selling my existing house.
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #24
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I live in an 800 sq/ft. condo and while I could afford to go for a bigger unit and take a bigger mortgage, I find the savings give me more flexibility to do what I want, whenever I want in my life. I'm more into experiences than material things, personally I'd rather stay in my current place and have extra money to travel and go to shows and events, etc. than have a bigger place and having to give up some of those things.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If I had quiet neighbours above me I'd never want to move from my condo. It's so low maintenance and my girlfriend and I don't need more space.

The ability to host a lot of people is not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to me.

Peace and quiet on the other hand is totally worth it. I hate my stupid ####ing neighbours.