Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #981
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
I've seen an awful lot of bad decision making in Brodies part this year that cannot be blamed on the other players on the ice.
If you rewind the play, it probably can. People only remember what happened right before the goal, but goals against usually start a while before that, usually multiple zones away, often on the opposite side of the ice from where the final mistake was made.

Shift-for-shift, teams are constantly making easy exits, entries and dump-ins onto Hamonic's side of the ice. Then Brodie gets hit with suicide passes by Smith and Hamonic and makes mistakes. Brodie hasn't played to his full potential either, but people are too quick to overlook what Hamonic did or didn't do on most of the same plays.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #982
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't understand. Is hamonic bad or is Gulutzan bad? Are they both bad? Does that then make Treliving bad?
Hamonic has had a Corsi over 50 per cent once in his career. His relative Corsi has been positive once in his career. He’s really not all that good.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #983
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
If you rewind the play, it probably can. People only remember what happened right before the goal, but goals against usually start a while before that, usually multiple zones away, often on the opposite side of the ice from where the final mistake was made.

Shift-for-shift, teams are constantly making easy exits, entries and dump-ins onto Hamonic's side of the ice. Then Brodie gets hit with suicide passes by Smith and Hamonic and makes mistakes. Brodie hasn't played to his full potential either, but people are too quick to overlook what Hamonic did or didn't do on most of the same plays.
That's fair enough, Hamonic definitely hasn't helped Brodie the way he was expected to, but Brodie hasn't helped either. He's one of the best skaters in the league and I can count at least three goals against just in the last couple weeks where he had an opportunity to cover the dangerous man and ended up flopping down on the ice trying to block a pass and looked like a fool. It's like he's channeling his inner Kris Russell. I bet if you lined up every goal he's been on the ice for the majority of them you would say that the guy he should have covered has way too much time and space. I know he's a better player than that, but he seems unsure and complacent in his positioning.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #984
Brodieyouevenlift
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Defense is going to be a huge strength

I would say easily top 2 top 4 alongside Nashville

Brodie is going to have a huge comeback year playing with a legit too 4 guy
We were so naive
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #985
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The price to get Hamonic was bad, Gulutzan is bad for forcing Hamonic and Brodie to suffer together, and Hamoinc is bad by default for making Brodie worse than he is and because he cost too darned much for what the team is getting after 26 games when something should have shown to be better.

If all that bad adds up to a bad season, Treliving will be looked upon as bad when the Isles win the draft lottery and grab stud D man Dahlen. Much egg on face, such sad. Wow.
Fyp, you forgot one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #986
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I though Hamonic was the night move over the summer. 27 years old, physical, signed to a great co react with 3 years term, right shot, stay at home, decent skater. Seemed like the exact type of partner we needed for Brodie.

Early returns have been poor and both players have struggled. Not sure what the solution is under GG.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #987
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I do, Rasmus Andersson. I think he showed that in Camp. And in his 2 games while Hamoinc was hurt. Would have saved us some much needed currency to use at the deadline or a really really nice pick in a deep draft.
"Or a really, really nice pick in a deep draft"

Ya like a 21st overall pick. Im not too worried about losing our draft pick unless it ends up being top 10
Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #988
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, Hamonic is still worth what we paid for him. The only problem is we are playing two struggling players on the same pairing. Either you pair up Brodie with Giordano or Stone, and Hamonic with Hamilton or Kulak. I don't see why GG continues to play Brodie and Hamonic together when Stone has clearly been playing better than Hamonic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #989
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Early returns are poor but he's still got two years after this at an affordable cap hit. I would like to see him play under a different head coach before calling this trade a disaster. Needless to say regardless of what happens with Hamonic over the next couple of years this was a home run trade for the Islanders as they could be getting a top 10 or top 15 pick and the 2nd round picks are gravy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #990
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could we try this:

Gio - Hamonic
Brodie - Dougie
Kulak - Stone

why wouldn't something like this work?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #991
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Could we try this:

Gio - Hamonic
Brodie - Dougie
Kulak - Stone

why wouldn't something like this work?
Both making horrible pinches at the same time would be a treat to watch for the opposing team and their fans.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #992
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so what is the answer?

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Hamonic

I have no idea but splitting that pair up I think is necessary at the moment.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #993
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, your first one was better. You could also just reunite Gio - Brodie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #994
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so what is the answer?

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Hamonic

The answer is this I think:

Gio-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Brodie-Dougie

Drop their minutes until they figure it out. Hamonic and Gio would form a strong shut down pair, and Kulak-Stone could probably handle their own against secondary competition (I hope).

I just think you need to send a message to the guys who are struggling and/or not committed enough to making strong plays every shift. Reward the guys who have been doing that for you.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #995
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The answer is this I think:

Gio-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Brodie-Dougie

Drop their minutes until they figure it out. Hamonic and Gio would form a strong shut down pair, and Kulak-Stone could probably handle their own against secondary competition (I hope).

I just think you need to send a message to the guys who are struggling and/or not committed enough to making strong plays every shift. Reward the guys who have been doing that for you.
Ya, I agree 100%. Gotta start somewhere and giving them less time should hopefully wake them up. GG needs to do something and something soon.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #996
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Hamonic is having problems adjusting to the West game. I find him weak along the boards and puck protection. He seems to be overwhelmed by the strength of the wingers and the more crash, grind, play of West teams over the more open style of the East. His positioning to me seems on point but he constantly loses the puck battles and make errors clearing the zone. I agree he needs time away from Brodie and think he might be better served playing on the third pairing with Kulak who can move the puck but takes a lot less risks than Brodie.

Gio-Brodie
Hamilton-Stone
Kulak-Hamonic

I don't know how Hamilton will do on the left side defensively, but it should open him up for more shooting opportunities.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #997
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a simple thing to try is:

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Hamonic

But I would like to see:

Giordano - Hamonic
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Hamilton

(and that isn't a demotion for Hamilton - I don't get hung up on 1st , 2nd 3rd labels - I just think it would be better utilization of the players)
Old 12-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #998
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Early returns are poor but he's still got two years after this at an affordable cap hit. I would like to see him play under a different head coach before calling this trade a disaster. Needless to say regardless of what happens with Hamonic over the next couple of years this was a home run trade for the Islanders as they could be getting a top 10 or top 15 pick and the 2nd round picks are gravy.
Flames got their 4th round pick tho, incoming superstar
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #999
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
so what is the answer?

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Hamonic

For me personally, knowing how GG prefers the LD-RD combination I'd go with:

Gio-Hamonic
Shutdown pairing.

Kulak-Dougie
Promotion for Kulak, he has been solid so far this year. Dougie is still allowed to pinch with Kulak being reliable (not that Gio isnt, but this is to mix up the pairings and IMO they fit better than Brodie-Dougie)

Brodie-Stone
Limited minutes for Brodie plus they have looked good for the few games they were together.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #1000
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so what is the answer?

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Hamonic

Something like this. In any case Stone deserves more minutes. The top 4 is playing 20 minutes or more per night, Stone only gets 17.

Stone has been steady and solid, and even has the same points as Hamonic. He has earned bigger minutes while Hamonic has struggled, yet Hamonic gets the more TOI.

I think these things that can also slowly eat away team moral. Players care a lot about icetime, and if the way it gets spread out doesn't seem to make sense, it has to affect their trust in coaching.
Closed Thread