Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #721
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Your memory fails you djs

Jbo wasnt there in 09 when they added Jokinen and Cammy was gone when they brought in Jbo
Oh crap. You're right. A slight 'era' crossover. My bad.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 AM   #722
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted. It's just too good not too share.

https://oilonwhyte.com/2017/06/24/ed...ic-no-problem/
Good god. That is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:10 AM   #723
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So now we've got our Regehr equivalent.

Just need our Iggy and Kipper. The two pieces that those old teams have on the current roster.

But like others have posted, this defence and team is far more complete than any of those 05-10 teams were. Okay, maybe 06-10. That division winning team was pretty damn good. Stupid effing Ducks!
Old 06-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #724
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Good god. That is hilarious.
Quite a fairytale our neighbors are living.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #725
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
My reaction to that article:

Sure, Andrej Sekera is out injured for 6-9 months, and Edmonton needs more depth, the Oilers already possess the right pieces to cope.

The Oilers strengthened the right side of their defence corps this past season by trading Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Though he wasn’t a power-play quarterback, let alone a puck-mover, the Oilers got a more physical, stronger and smarter defenceman.

Behind Larsson, the Oilers got a strong shot-blocker out of Kris Russell and finally built a strong top-four.

This stuff is pure gold.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #726
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That gif is hilarious. And the perfect reaction after reading that...uh I dont know exactly what to call it.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #727
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, Kris Russell.

The Oilers have found the magic that the Blue Jackets, Blues, Flames and Dallas couldnt find.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #728
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So now we've got our Regehr equivalent.

Just need our Iggy and Kipper. The two pieces that those old teams have on the current roster.

But like others have posted, this defence and team is far more complete than any of those 05-10 teams were. Okay, maybe 06-10. That division winning team was pretty damn good. Stupid effing Ducks!
That team could not score to save its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #729
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Gio
Hamilton
Phaneuf
Bouw
Brodie
Reggie
Hamonic
Interesting
Old 06-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #730
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm naturally pessimistic with these trades. I have to say I'm not sold on this one, but I'm keeping an open mind. The Hamilton trade was a case in point where I felt the cost was too high and now I think he's arguably our best defenseman.

If the Flames do well the next two years, it helps not only the return, but the cost. A 27th overall pick is a vastly different pick from a 5th overall. You need to gamble to get better, and I know Treliving is smarter than me, but we have no picks in the first 3 rounds next year. That won't hurt next year, the year after, or maybe even the year after that, but it will thin the replacements at some point. If the Flames do well enough that the picks are in the late 20's, this trade is a steal. If they finish bottom 10 and draft high it's really not worth it IMO.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #731
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great move by tre! I for sure thought we'd lose bennet to get harmonic.

Glad I'm wrong on that one
Old 06-25-2017, 12:29 AM   #732
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I'll enjoy this trade more after watching Hamonic play. I'm not over the moon like I was when I heard about the Dougie deal. I'm quite neutral on it.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:29 AM   #733
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=timbit;6303958]Gio
Hamilton
Phaneuf
Bouw
Brodie
Reggie
Hamonic[/QUOTEif u truly were a donufht I'd know Reggie was the toughest to play against in the league !
Old 06-25-2017, 12:32 AM   #734
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Backlunds_socks;6304008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Gio
Hamilton
Phaneuf
Bouw
Brodie
Reggie
Hamonic[/QUOTEif u truly were a donufht I'd know Reggie was the toughest to play against in the league !
In English please.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #735
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'm naturally pessimistic with these trades. I have to say I'm not sold on this one, but I'm keeping an open mind. The Hamilton trade was a case in point where I felt the cost was too high and now I think he's arguably our best defenseman.

If the Flames do well the next two years, it helps not only the return, but the cost. A 27th overall pick is a vastly different pick from a 5th overall. You need to gamble to get better, and I know Treliving is smarter than me, but we have no picks in the first 3 rounds next year. That won't hurt next year, the year after, or maybe even the year after that, but it will thin the replacements at some point. If the Flames do well enough that the picks are in the late 20's, this trade is a steal. If they finish bottom 10 and draft high it's really not worth it IMO.
Right....but if you want to ride the ride you have to buy a ticket, otherwise you're just watching.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #736
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While reading that hilariousness, the most appropriate advertisement popped up in the middle of the article.

Just about pissed myself at how fitting it was.

So it starts out by saying that the Oilers need more defense depth, but that they're also okay (well alright then!). His argument for the Oilers not needing Hamonic is because Russell brings everything he does, and I guess you can only have so much shot blocking on one defense. Also says that "trusting" a 23 year old sophomore straight out of the NCAA to step into a top 4 position in Sekera's absence is a better option, because... actually there isn't really an explanation. Because it's good for his confidence? I think. Also stuff about Larsson being a great acquisition even though it has nothing to do with the #4 spot. Just pointless boasting about a trade that they lost. A++ article. Would read again.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-25-2017 at 01:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:45 AM   #737
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I apologize if this has already been posted. It's just too good not too share.

https://oilonwhyte.com/2017/06/24/ed...ic-no-problem/
This article is pure cognitive dissonance on the part of Oiler fans!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:51 AM   #738
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Right....but if you want to ride the ride you have to buy a ticket, otherwise you're just watching.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson
That's why I said you need to gamble. I'm just putting context to how I think the succeed/failure will be judged
Old 06-25-2017, 01:24 AM   #739
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Thats all well and good...problem is that in the next 2 drafts the Flames are down 4 picks in the first 3 rounds including nothing til round 4 next year.

Thats why when i see "lots of time to recoup picks" thrown about, it makes me cringe because the only way that happens is if the team starts to sell off some players...which means the season isnt going well.

Im of the opinion that this team still needs some holes filled up front and why i hated the acquisition cost of Hamonic as the currency to help up front has entirely disappeared in the last week.
If you like this trade in the basis that Flames will recoup the lost picks, well I just don't think that's realistic. The Flames were buyers at the deadline this year with a playoff bubble team and I just don't see the mentality changing unless the team horribly under performs. In which case we are probably looking at a new management team who will discuss the lack of picks.

Now I will get behind the move as I love that Treliving is trying to ice the most competitive team possible and at end of the day, I'm a fan of the game on the ice. But the acquisition cost was high and the lack of high picks will have a lasting impact on the organization. You just have to hope we didn't go all in on a mediocre hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #740
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Thats all well and good...problem is that in the next 2 drafts the Flames are down 4 picks in the first 3 rounds including nothing til round 4 next year.

Thats why when i see "lots of time to recoup picks" thrown about, it makes me cringe because the only way that happens is if the team starts to sell off some players...which means the season isnt going well.

Im of the opinion that this team still needs some holes filled up front and why i hated the acquisition cost of Hamonic as the currency to help up front has entirely disappeared in the last week.
I'm not sure about. Didn't we pick up two extra seconds and a third in the 2015 draft while making the playoffs? Teams are always hungry for vets around the TDL and there are always desperate GM's to be taken advantage of. A veteran C like Stajan on an expiring contract might have more value to a young team than we might think.
Closed Thread