Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #661
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Time and time again Chia get's fleeced in trades, and fleeced in contracts, while other GM's are pulling the exact pieces we need for penny's on the dollar. Yet, because he was handed a team with the best 1-3 centermen core in the league and a bona fide #1 defenceman he gets a pass?
Let's be honest with ourselves, the guy has some serious flaws. We don't need to felate him because he happened to be at the helm for the turn around.

oh yeah?

news to me lol

is your cat doing singing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #662
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hearing Monahan
Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #663
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
news to me lol
You know how good #2 Center Ryan Nugent Softkins, #3 center David Desoftnais, and "zero Norris votes" #1 defenseman Oscar Klefbom are.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #664
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am absolutely stoked about this trade! For the first time in my life I think the Flames have a chance to be one of the best teams in the NHL. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but I think we'll be challenging for the division title.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #665
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
^Thanked in advance of reading it. I've been waiting so long for one of these!
That's how all Gaskal ATL posts are to be thanked.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #666
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now I feel like everything is riding on the rw we sign and the play of mike smith. Asides from that the team looks better on paper. Hope we sign stone as a 5th dman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #667
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft floor was CHAOS as this was unfolding. Was really neat to see the chatter bounce around in real time.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #668
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I am absolutely stoked about this trade! For the first time in my life I think the Flames have a chance to be one of the best teams in the NHL. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but I think we'll be challenging for the division title.
I will feel this way if Smith looks legit come October. It ALL depends on goaltending. As we learned over the past two seasons. We need a guy that can at least play at league average night in night out.

The team in front will mature into a force in the next few years, no doubt. But it's all for naught if a legit starter isn't between the pipes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #669
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same price we paid for Dougie but doesn't feel like the steal that trade felt like (and was). This was a steep price to pay but a price I am happy the Flamea spent. Calgary has a fairly solid prospect base. Andersen, Kylington, Fox, Valimaki are solid D prospects. Parsons and Gillies are among the best goalienprospexts in hockey. Up front Jankowski, Dube, Mangipane, Phillips, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Poirier all have some promise.

The Fles pushed their chips in the middle and told the fanbase to expect this team to be a contender. They have traded their second round pick from 2017-2020, and their first next year.

I would say this move gives Calgary the best top 4 in the league. Hamonic' contract is fantastic and fits in well with our cap structure. Great trade
Old 06-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #670
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You know how good #2 Center Ryan Nugent Softkins, #3 center David Desoftnais, and "zero Norris votes" #1 defenseman Oscar Klefbom are.
didn't even know who the #1 D was supposed to be, actually couldn't name klefbom. holy hubris adam west

is your cat doing singing?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #671
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Time and time again Chia get's fleeced in trades, and fleeced in contracts, while other GM's are pulling the exact pieces we need for penny's on the dollar. Yet, because he was handed a team with the best 1-3 centermen core in the league and a bona fide #1 defenceman he gets a pass?
Let's be honest with ourselves, the guy has some serious flaws. We don't need to felate him because he happened to be at the helm for the turn around.

oh yeah?

news to me lol
I wondered about this at first, then figured maybe the poster was talking about Boston.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #672
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
didn't even know who the #1 D was supposed to be, actually couldn't name klefbom. holy hubris adam west
Is he one of the six Giordanos they have up there?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #673
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do we call him "Hammer" in Calgary? Clearly a player the Isles fans hate to see leave.

Thanks Gaskal.....was overdue for a dose of watching the greasers rant!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #674
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
So do we call him "Hammer" in Calgary? Clearly a player the Isles fans hate to see leave.

Thanks Gaskal.....was overdue for a dose of watching the greasers rant!
I think we should call Hamonic and both Hamilton brothers "hammer" just to confuse opposing fans. It'd be nice if Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey jump on board as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #675
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Same price we paid for Dougie but doesn't feel like the steal that trade felt like (and was). This was a steep price to pay but a price I am happy the Flamea spent. Calgary has a fairly solid prospect base. Andersen, Kylington, Fox, Valimaki are solid D prospects. Parsons and Gillies are among the best goalienprospexts in hockey. Up front Jankowski, Dube, Mangipane, Phillips, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Poirier all have some promise.

The Fles pushed their chips in the middle and told the fanbase to expect this team to be a contender. They have traded their second round pick from 2017-2020, and their first next year.

I would say this move gives Calgary the best top 4 in the league. Hamonic' contract is fantastic and fits in well with our cap structure. Great trade
Agree with the bolded. Dougie came in with a lot of upside, and some uncertainty with his contract.

With Hamonic you know what you are getting, and comes with a great contract. As the Flames have and continue to restructure their payroll this fits in really nicely. They were spending 5.5 on Wideman, and 3 on Engelland. Now you have Hamonic at 3.9, and still lots of room to sign a guy like Stone, or someone similar. This will make for a very solid D core.

The price was high, but the fit is too good to pass up.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #676
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can somebody help explain - instead of signing Kris Russell to that contract and trading for Strome, why didn't the Oilers trade Eberle for Hamonic, with picks or other pieces to balance the trade as needed?
Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #677
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope we see #1D Brodie again without having to lug someone around. He came out moreso with stone but on paper Harmonic and Brodie seem like they could be a decent first pair.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #678
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I wondered about this at first, then figured maybe the poster was talking about Boston.

It is coming from an Oilers fan. Of course he is not talking about Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #679
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Can somebody help explain - instead of signing Kris Russell to that contract and trading for Strome, why didn't the Oilers trade Eberle for Hamonic, with picks or other pieces to balance the trade as needed?
Guessing that NYI had no interest in Eberle?

Edit: Meaning as the value in that trade. Obviously not in general.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #680
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames get Travis Hamonic + 4th for a 1st and 2x2nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post

I truly believe it was because Snow did not want to trade with Edmonton. GMs around the League probably are more than a bit jaded that the Oilers have lucked their way from a decade of dead last into the second round of the playoffs. They are probably jaded that Chiarelli walked into one of the highest paying GM jobs, and the chance to draft the best player since Sidney Crosby. Honestly, why wouldn't every other NHL executive absolutely despise the Oilers?

In the end, Snow did pretty well this weekend: a top-line winger, a first round pick and two seconds for a 3/4 defenseman, a young, project forward and ta fourth. He did much better than he would have if he were just dealing with Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Closed Thread