Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Closet Renovations

I have purchased a new house and the master closet leaves a lot to be desired. We set up and appointment with California Closets. The estimate for a pretty basic closet was over 5,000 bucks. Is this pretty standard for a closed that is basically a 10x8 square? Any recommendations of other places to try?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats Nick! I don't have any personal experience, but Costco has pamphlets for that kind of service. Might be worth a look. There's also the good folks at ikea
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have found that these various closet companies are quite expensive. I would recommend finding someone that is comfortable working with wood and doing something that way. It would certainly be cheaper although it might require you to do a bit more work in terms of sourcing some materials that you might want (glides for pull outs, mesh baskets, etc.)

Many years ago my parents did exactly that. They had California come by and put together some design ideas and costs but the price was pretty crazy. My parents ended up finding a wood worker through a friend who built a custom shelving unit for significantly cheaper. It did take a little while but my parents weren`t in a rush.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

California Closets was always one of, if not the most expensive closet trade I dealt with when sourcing out for trades. While their work isn't bad by any means, I'm not sure it's really that much above and beyond some of the other places out there. I've seen them and others build closets in $1M+ homes and aside from the custom carpenter built closet (jaw droppingly amazing), you couldn't tell them apart. You might want to give Calgary Custom Closets a call and get a quote from them. That was another place we used quite frequently with very good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
California Closets was always one of, if not the most expensive closet trade I dealt with when sourcing out for trades. While their work isn't bad by any means, I'm not sure it's really that much above and beyond some of the other places out there. I've seen them and others build closets in $1M+ homes and aside from the custom carpenter built closet (jaw droppingly amazing), you couldn't tell them apart. You might want to give Calgary Custom Closets a call and get a quote from them. That was another place we used quite frequently with very good results.
We have a meeting with them today. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On my old house, I actually flipped through some pictures on websites like California Closet came up with a design myself, then built it out of wire shelves. It was a 10 x 2 Closet with bifold doors. probably cost ~$300 to do double high shirt racks, some shelving, shoe racks, tie racks.....

Depends on what you are looking for, I didn't think closet was a space that I needed to look good. I just needed it to be highly functional in a small house.

We have a 8 x 10 walk in closet now, and its OK for me with just the standard racking for now, but if we need more space I would probably do it the same way again.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
On my old house, I actually flipped through some pictures on websites like California Closet came up with a design myself, then built it out of wire shelves. It was a 10 x 2 Closet with bifold doors. probably cost ~$300 to do double high shirt racks, some shelving, shoe racks, tie racks.....

Depends on what you are looking for, I didn't think closet was a space that I needed to look good. I just needed it to be highly functional in a small house.

We have a 8 x 10 walk in closet now, and its OK for me with just the standard racking for now, but if we need more space I would probably do it the same way again.
I am not handy!