Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2024, 09:05 AM   #4821
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Anyone else get foot pain with they clip in for a ride?

On the bottom of my right foot, a little above my arch on the right side, I get intense pain whenever I try to ride with my cycling shoes and go clipless. I tried adjusting every way possible and nothing helped.

I had to give up cycling clipless and have rode with flat pedals ever since, which is disappointing when trying to go for group rides or get my speed up.

I really don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on new pedals or shoes because that’s a lot of money, but secondly, it could just happen again.

It still annoys me.
Shoes might be too tight, I had a pair of Fizik that caused a similar pain, stabbed vertical slit in the side and it took away the pressure, problem solved but also a cut in shoe.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:15 PM   #4822
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

On the bottom of my right foot, a little above my arch on the right side, I get intense pain whenever I try to ride with my cycling shoes and go clipless. I tried adjusting every way possible and nothing helped.

I had to give up cycling clipless and have rode with flat pedals ever since, which is disappointing when trying to go for group rides or get my speed up.

I really don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on new pedals or shoes because that’s a lot of money, but secondly, it could just happen again.

It still annoys me.

Yah a bad shoe could do that, or something else that changes the angle of your foot such as funny pedal platform (ie bent, crooked), bad cleat, maybe something else contributed like change in flexibility, or hip angle (check your set for twist or if one side of saddle has collapsed). But start with the shoe.
Just a couple years back I took a 2 month break from cycling and when I went back I experienced immediate pain and discomfort and felt like bone bruising in my sit bones. I hadn't changed anything. Took nearly 8 weeks to settle down, and a change in saddle and other positioning. that sucked. So don't mess with it longer than you need to. good luck.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:11 PM   #4823
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It still annoys me.
I ended up with one of those inserts that you put in your shoe and it moulds itself to your foot. My bike fitter recommended it 4+ years ago and I've had not any issues.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:51 PM   #4824
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I ended up with one of those inserts that you put in your shoe and it moulds itself to your foot. My bike fitter recommended it 4+ years ago and I've had not any issues.
What brand?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:49 PM   #4825
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
What brand?
Looks like they are Sidas. I got them from TCR Sport Lab.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 08:29 PM   #4826
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone know a good triathlon club in the city? I'm a beginner and I jumped in with a big splash, signed up for an Ironman in Nov.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:16 AM   #4827
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Has anybody tried the Canal pathway recently? It looked pretty clear when I drove over it on Glenmore and then 52nd, but I know that is just a small portion of the route.

What concerns me is looking at the path beside 130th ave SE by the car dealerships, that route is still icy.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 03:29 PM   #4828
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anyone know if there are bike rentals in Victoria? We are going there around Easter for a family trip, and I'd like to get a day in riding.
What size bike do you need? I'm happy to lend you one if you like. Alternatively North48 looks like a good option. If you want to try out an eBike Oak Bay Bikes has those available, same with Ride The Glide (centrally located).
Old 02-21-2024, 03:38 PM   #4829
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Has anybody tried the Canal pathway recently? It looked pretty clear when I drove over it on Glenmore and then 52nd, but I know that is just a small portion of the route.

What concerns me is looking at the path beside 130th ave SE by the car dealerships, that route is still icy.
Following as I’d be interested as well.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:08 PM   #4830
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are bike rentals in Victoria? We are going there around Easter for a family trip, and I'd like to get a day in riding.
Rented from https://www.oakbaybikes.com/ a few years ago, and they had quality road bikes. Victoria has some great rides, and great coffee shops and bakeries. We'd always find a way to go by Ottavio's in Oak Bay. I recall Fol Epi being really good coffee as well.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:49 PM   #4831
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Update on the canal path- pretty much clear the whole way from 50th ave to 52nd street. Oddly enough the current bridge on 50th ave was the worst part- and it was slushy on the old 50th ave bridge. Also some ice under the train bridge- but then after that smooth sailing. Even under the rest of the bridges. A few puddles to watch for if you go earlier in the day. But I would even say you could take a summer bike for most of it.

They must have plowed it as other nearby paths are still snow covered.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 12:45 PM   #4832
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichozo View Post
Anyone know a good triathlon club in the city? I'm a beginner and I jumped in with a big splash, signed up for an Ironman in Nov.
Beginner to 140.6 distance in 8 months? I don't know your fitness base and your time commitment for training, but that could hurt. Are you looking to be competitive, or just survive? Depending on what you're after, there's a few. There's 3433 out of Repsol, Lynx Triathlon, No Limits, Critical Speed and I think TCR has one also. There's also the Airdrie triathlon club. I personally just train by myself with workouts that my coach gives me, but I know some people want / need the group interaction and accountability.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 02-23-2024 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:46 PM   #4833
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Beginner to 140.6 distance in 8 months? I don't know your fitness base and your time commitment for training, but that could hurt. Are you looking to be be competitive, or just survive? Depending on what you're after, there's a few. There's 3433 out of Repsol, Lynx Triathlon, No Limits, Critical Speed and I think TCR has one also. There's also the Airdrie triathlon club. I personally just train by myself with workouts that my coach gives me, but I know some people want / need the group interaction and accountability.
Bad news, Ironman is 180km bike, (Edit. my bad you're from the land of quarts and gallons)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:43 AM   #4834
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a new gravel bike on Black Friday and have yet to ride it. Today seems like a good day to get it out. Is there a good ice free stretch anyone could recommend? Around the reservoir maybe?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #4835
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I bought a new gravel bike on Black Friday and have yet to ride it. Today seems like a good day to get it out. Is there a good ice free stretch anyone could recommend? Around the reservoir maybe?
river pathway's pretty clear
usually you can head down by the bird sanctuary without too much trouble
a few posts back it sounded like the canal pathway was also good

I did up to the blue ring a few weeks back and there were sections with ice but nothing too terrible.

Also, what did you get??
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 10:59 AM   #4836
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks. I bought a Panoramic Katahdin. I got it with a rigid fork and the GRX 820 1x12 mullet drivetrain. It was 25% off.

Last edited by bossy22; 02-23-2024 at 11:28 AM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:00 AM   #4837
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
river pathway's pretty clear
usually you can head down by the bird sanctuary without too much trouble
a few posts back it sounded like the canal pathway was also good

I did up to the blue ring a few weeks back and there were sections with ice but nothing too terrible.

Also, what did you get??
Nose Creek pathway has some HUGE melt puddles right now, the stretch from Telus Spark north to 16th is where you will find most. When they melt in the afternoons they are about 5-6" deep. Also two big ones on the Bow river pathway going around the zoo.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 09:00 PM   #4838
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. I bought a Panoramic Katahdin. I got it with a rigid fork and the GRX 820 1x12 mullet drivetrain. It was 25% off.

More than anything it's the tires you install and the pressures you run them at. I've ridden Gravelkings (38 and 43mm) through the winter at about 40-50psi and they were almost as good as my Gravdals except on super smooth sheet ice. In addition to the much better grip on the winter rides you'll also have some cheap buzz reduction from all the little cracks and such. To make it even better splurge on a carbon seatpost and redshift stem.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:38 PM   #4839
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

a good read about a good Canadian boy, Meier...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/68427968
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:00 PM   #4840
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Picked up an Aspero GRX 810 for me and a Checkpoint SL5 for girlfriend.
Aspero will get a wheel upgrade in the next month or so, already swapped the bar for an Easton 100 and a longer FSA stem, basically it'll be a gravel bike with a road setup other than tires. Have a love hate relationship with gravel so we'll see if this helps move it more to love.