Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to the Consignment Gallery near chinook. They do have some accessories like mirrors etc usually at a good price.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

EQ3...I worked there for 2 years, and the majority of their upholstery is excellent quality, manufactured in Winnipeg.
I would stay away from their casework as it's imported, and not worth the cost for the most part though.
http://eq3.ca/cat-eq3/process/locale..._CA/index.html
It's right next to Ikea in Deerfoot Meadows.

I bought a couch and chair while I was working there, and loved it. I was truly upset when I sold it to a friend when I moved to Halifax.

*edit* as a note about Ikea product, you get what you pay for. The super cheap stuff at Ikea will probably need to be replaced after a few year, but some of the more expensive items are fairly well built.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I worked at Ashely Furniture about 5-6 years ago. It's hit or miss in terms of quality; some stuff is very high quality, and some is worse than Jysk.
Customer service at Ashley is pretty poor for the most part from what I've experienced.

A lot of Flames players 05-06 bought a lot of stuff there. I personally sold $5000-6000 worth of stuff to Daymond Langkow's wife, and was in the store while Dion Phanuef outfitted his first place there. Leopold bought some children's furniture there too from what I remember.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Anyone ever tried crossroads furniture in the NE? Some good deals there on the website
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #25
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the last 12 months, we purchased a whole bedroom suite for ourselves and bunkbeds with drawers for our kids from International Furniture Wholesalers: http://internationalfurniture.ca/

We were treated well and got what we thought was a fair price for everything. They don't have much for a showroom (just some pieces set up in their warehouse) but the selection was good. The furniture is made out of solid wood though some of the pieces have a veneer finish. It's higher quality than Ikea but lags behind the high end solid wood places. You get what you pay for and we've been pretty happy so far with our product.

Our headboard and one of the night stands were slightly damaged when they arrived at our house. The headboard was replaced no questions asked and the night stand was repaired at our home which was a nice touch. I'm a believer in word-of-mouth recommendations and these guys did well for us so I would encourage you to give give them a try too.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would have reccommended NOOD but alas, they have since shut down.

We picked our couch up pretty cheap from Urban Barn, it's nice and modern and has kept it shape, we've had it about 7 months now and it gets sat on a good 5 hrs a day.

I also think EQ3 has good stuff, sister bought an entire bedroom set from there and it seems good and sturdy, I think a bit on the pricey side though.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't know if they're even around anymore, but Old Hippy Furniture has some quality wood pieces. I bought a mission couch there and this thing is going to my children's children's children's children's children.

edit: quite pricy, though--but no more than other places that sell quality hardwood.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump...I'm looking to get a dining room table (possible custom built). Something that is going to last forever, any suggestions on where to look? Anywhere that has a pretty decent value (price/quality)?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I'd recommend bracko bros.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #30
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Bump...I'm looking to get a dining room table (possible custom built). Something that is going to last forever, any suggestions on where to look? Anywhere that has a pretty decent value (price/quality)?
What are you willing to pay for a custom build? I know a guy who does a great job but not sure what your price point is.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Don't go to Ashley furniture. Worst experience ever. It took me 6 months to get my order and I'm still missing a piece. Crooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
+1

Heard nothing, but bad things about Ashley furniture and issues getting warranty work completed or missing pieces from my circle of friends.

Stay away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
+1 for Ashley furniture being douchbags
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Weird I got stuff from Ashley like 7 years ago when I moved out and never had a problem. Bought a couch, recliner, bed set and it was delivered on time and haven't had any quality issues yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Also, I worked at Ashely Furniture about 5-6 years ago. It's hit or miss in terms of quality; some stuff is very high quality, and some is worse than Jysk.
Customer service at Ashley is pretty poor for the most part from what I've experienced.

A lot of Flames players 05-06 bought a lot of stuff there. I personally sold $5000-6000 worth of stuff to Daymond Langkow's wife, and was in the store while Dion Phanuef outfitted his first place there. Leopold bought some children's furniture there too from what I remember.

My wife and I bought our microfiber couch and recliner at Ashley furniture. We had great service and no problems.

In fact, the stitching on one of the cushions was coming loose and they sent over a repair person within 48 hours and they fixed it all up. Can't even tell there was ever a problem.

I would go back. We probably will soon...buying a bigger house!

Sorry to hear some of you had crappy experiences.

...oh, and screw The Brick.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
FireInTheHole
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bondar's has a clearance center in the SE just off Blackfoot and 42nd. They have a mix of everything there, and the selection changes all the time. I've seen some amazing deals there and have picked up some great stuff for a lot less than what it sell for in their regular store.
FireInTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i've gone the cheap route before, stuff like tv stands, shelves and tables, i've found ikea is just fine and the stuff lasts a while, but with sofas or anything with a cushion or mattress, I've realized you should spend the money on at least somewhat decent items as when cushions get worn out in these things, they are very hard to replace.

kijiji is good for decent tables and stuff too, just depends on how much time you have, and your willingness to scour kijiji a couple times a day
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Domain has very good quality, what style of table are you looking for?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want something really modern and custom built, I'd recommend Style Garage.
Don't think they have a Calgary location yet, but I'm sure they ship from Vancouver/Toronto.
It will be pretty $$$$ though, not sure what you are thinking budget wise.
www.stylegarage.com
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you ever see those "Show Home Furniture Sale" signs on the road follow them to their location. They are a bunch of dudes that setup a show room in local community centers. You can see all their stuff and then order it on the spot. It will then get delivered to that location later that night for pickup or delivered to your door at a later date...depending on what it is and what you want. Pretty decent quality stuff (real wood) at good prices.

My wife and I were on our way to buy a crappy Sears fake wood coffee table when we saw the signs. Dropped in and found a real wood coffee table for less then the Sears table.

My sister-in-law has furnished a couple of bedrooms using them. They even gave her a tall dresser for free when the one she ordered was discontinued.

Also, check out Cricklewood. They have a great showroom and lots of great people working there. They can also pretty much order in anything from the hundreds of catalogs they have.

Last edited by J Diddy; 11-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #37
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I've been to a few stores now and it seems the going rate for tables i've been looking at is $1800-3500. The problem comes down to the chairs, these things are priced ridiculously at about $500 per chair (i'm going to need 8).

I want something solid wood, built to last, and I want the best price possible.

I'd gladly buy something used, but ideally for our space I need a large square table and this seems to be a more recent trend in sizing.

There has got to be a "good deal" out there...
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #38
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a living room set from Leon's last year and had absolutely no problems. The sales guy I dealt with in store was efficient and honest, the delivery guys were on time, everything was set up correctly, the lady who waterproofs the cushions was on time & quick, and I haven't heard a peep from them since!

That being said, my brother had the opposite experience. I guess with stores like that it depends on who you deal with or how good/bad of a day their delivery guys are having.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
^ I've been to a few stores now and it seems the going rate for tables i've been looking at is $1800-3500. The problem comes down to the chairs, these things are priced ridiculously at about $500 per chair (i'm going to need 8).

I want something solid wood, built to last, and I want the best price possible.

I'd gladly buy something used, but ideally for our space I need a large square table and this seems to be a more recent trend in sizing.

There has got to be a "good deal" out there...
Urban barn has chairs around $200 a piece. My wife and I bought 6 a while back as they were on sale for 15% off. Great chairs. Comfortable and they look great.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #40
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
If you ever see those "Show Home Furniture Sale" signs on the road follow them to their location. They are a bunch of dudes that setup a show room in local community centers. You can see all their stuff and then order it on the spot. It will then get delivered to that location later that night for pickup or delivered to your door at a later date...depending on what it is and what you want. Pretty decent quality stuff (real wood) at good prices.

My wife and I were on our way to buy a crappy Sears fake wood coffee table when we saw the signs. Dropped in and found a real wood coffee table for less then the Sears table.

My sister-in-law has furnished a couple of bedrooms using them. They even gave her a tall dresser for free when the one she ordered was discontinued.

Also, check out Cricklewood. They have a great showroom and lots of great people working there. They can also pretty much order in anything from the hundreds of catalogs they have.
I bought my living room set from one of these showhome sales. One thing to note, is that usually the furniture has never even been used. As a matter of fact, my furniture was constructed specifically for me after I ordered it and my ass was the first to touch it.

It's not the best furniture in the world, but it was reasonably priced, delivered for free and looks good.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote