Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Thumbs down Getting Microchipped Ignition Key Made

I bought a used vehicle and it only came with one key. I found out from Canadian Tire that it has an immobilizer chip in the key so they can't make a copy. I phoned a few dealers and they quoted $90 bucks to get one made. Is there a cheaper way to get this done? It seems like a total gouge.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

What did the owner say happened to the other key?

Most new vehicles come with 2
Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bought it at auction.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What kinda vehicle? With some of the older ones, you may be able to buy a chipped uncut key off Ebay for less, and have that cut somewhere.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah you can buy a blank key off ebay for under 10 bucks, but you still have to buy the fob. The fob will run you about 30 bucks, but it's not programmed and completely useless until it is. Getting it programmed from the dealer is usually 1 hour labour, so about 100 bucks. Plus you still have to get the key cut, which if it's laser cut it won't be cheap. So really, I can't imagine how you could do it for less than 90 bucks but these prices are all for VW's where a new key from the dealer is about $330, so maybe you're vehicles key components are cheaper. Really I think 90 bucks sounds like a steal but thats probably just because I only have one key for my Golf and can't imagine paying 300+ for a new one.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Most car you will be able to buy the key online, and use your own car to program the key. Search for instructions online... usually there will be a forum with such valuable information. Go to Canadian tire to get the key cut.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

what make/model/year?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You can sacrifice the key to remove the immobilizing system (kinda like what they do when they install 3rd party automatic starters)...
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
Most car you will be able to buy the key online, and use your own car to program the key. Search for instructions online... usually there will be a forum with such valuable information. Go to Canadian tire to get the key cut.
usually program yourself though you need 2 keys. i bought one for my car on ebay just to have in case, (07 fusion with fob on key, it all works!!)
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd. I might be willing to disable the immobilizer considering I didn't even know it had one.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
It's an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee ltd. I might be willing to disable the immobilizer considering I didn't even know it had one.
If it is factory, I doubt you can disable it. $90 all in for a new key from the dealer is not a bad price. The chip is usually embedded in the key itself, the fob is just for the remote unlock/lock.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #12
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Yeah you can buy a blank key off ebay for under 10 bucks, but you still have to buy the fob. The fob will run you about 30 bucks, but it's not programmed and completely useless until it is. Getting it programmed from the dealer is usually 1 hour labour, so about 100 bucks. Plus you still have to get the key cut, which if it's laser cut it won't be cheap. So really, I can't imagine how you could do it for less than 90 bucks but these prices are all for VW's where a new key from the dealer is about $330, so maybe you're vehicles key components are cheaper. Really I think 90 bucks sounds like a steal but thats probably just because I only have one key for my Golf and can't imagine paying 300+ for a new one.
For VW's I'm almost certain you can program your own blank key that you can just buy on the internet. I know for Audis it has the instructions right in the manual, and most things VW and Audi are the same.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
For VW's I'm almost certain you can program your own blank key that you can just buy on the internet. I know for Audis it has the instructions right in the manual, and most things VW and Audi are the same.
Yes, but IIRC you need 2 keys in order to program a third. Our truck is the same way - I think it is to prevent you losing one key and having someone finding it and cutting more copies.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Yes and no. You can program a key to work the locks without any dealership help or additional equipment. But you need a VAG-COM to program it past the immobilizer to start the car.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be very careful about the blank keys you buy on eBay. I bought a Murano from auction that only had one key and refused to pay the screw job Nissan prices for a new key so I bought 2 on eBay for $10 each - I was then going to take the blanks to Nissan and have them cut and programmed for far less.

When I took the keys in to get cut, they noted right away that they weren't official Nissan keys and couldn't guarantee that they would work. The problem was I had to pay to have the keys cut and programmed to know if they would work or not. I got a call later in the day and they said everything worked fine...but that story sadly changed when I went to pick it up. When I picked it up, they said they keys wouldn't hold a program and no longer worked...SWEEET! So, I totally wasted $80 at Nissan to find out these cheap imitation keys didn't work. I got a partial refund from the seller, but still ended up paying for nothing.

If it were me, I'd suck it up and pay the dealer and have a guarantee that your key will work.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate dealers and don't want to give them a penny more, there has to be another way.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #18
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know, I feel the exact same way. There has to be someone who has the capability to program these keys - does no locksmith have this ability?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote