Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #61
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
As usual you don't make sense but let's try and not derail the thread.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/23...r-hockey-sense

This is coming from someone who will not give Jay any credit, and is writing in 'Jay appreciation' thread. You started it. Go post some inappropriate pictures.
theoforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #62
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jay 100% deserves credit. Hartley big time. Hudler and Wideman definitely. Scouting not so much. So I know you tried to say Jay was responsible for changing scouting philosophy but as the article shows Button said that came from Daryl. As usual I'm having to prove you wrong and your having to resort to your last ditch insults. At least get some new material if that's all you've got.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #63
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Jay 100% deserves credit. ....
Now, was it so hard to give Jay some credit.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #64
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Let's be fair - when the Jokinen deal happened, it was pretty much UNIVERSALLY endorsed (pundits and fans (yes, always an exception or 2)). /
I think we're talking about the other Jokinen deal – where Darryl traded him away for three used pucks and an enema bag.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #65
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Thanks Jay!

Yeah the majority of this team is his, and Hartley was his hire. He kinda made his own noose with the pair of the Jankowski pick and the O'Reilly debacle, and those were big mistakes, but everything else was perfect. Some of it magic. How he dealt with that defesemen who didn't want to sign,I forget that nobody's name, (Tom something?) was brilliance.

He did a really good job all things considered.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #66
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoyFlizzy View Post
Not sure why Darryl is being thanked, he left this organization in shambles.

This is all thanks to finally realizing that sitting with old guard would never work, and that Darryl's idea was flawed, and forcing Jay to follow that vision was the wrong move as well.

Once they allowed Jay to tear it down we can see how drafting and building is the only way to get it done.
I like the irony in that the Flames player that torched the Kings the most this year, Johnny Hockey, likely never would have been drafted by size-matters-most Darryl Sutter
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #67
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I like the irony in that the Flames player that torched the Kings the most this year, Johnny Hockey, likely never would have been drafted by size-matters-most Darryl Sutter
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/23...r-hockey-sense
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #68
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Stop deralayling, only the good stuff about Jay. Your premise has aLways been that Jay should get no credit for drafting, While some of us believe that the GM should get credit for everything under his tenure. (The good and the bad).
Old 04-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #69
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can imagine Gelinas being a key piece too didn't see any mention of that I believe that was a Feaster/CC addition as well
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #70
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoforever View Post
Stop deralayling, only the good stuff about Jay. Your premise has aLways been that Jay should get no credit for drafting, While some of us believe that the GM should get credit for everything under his tenure. (The good and the bad).
Well it's a common misconception that Jay was the one who changed the drafting philosophy when in fact it started with Daryl, the guy who many like to say was terrible with drafting. If you look at when Button says the philosophy changed you see a drastic difference in draft success. The scouts do all the leg work. They compile the list. They deserve credit for the draft. So ya I think Feaster did some good things for this team I just think his drafting is vastly over-rated. I don't think the fan base should praise Feaster and crap on Sutter without knowing all the facts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #71
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was one of those stock market things where we sold very very high. We can definitely thank him but I'm also thankful for treliving
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #72
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really its awesome that Jay seems to harbor no resentment. He did some good work here.

He cleared the deck for a new identity
He did not accept that we had to be a bad team to get better even if he needed to clear the deck.
and, He drafted well.

Most of All, he brought us Bob.

It's great that even though we was let go he can appreciate his contribution to what seems to be a vary well constructed franchise.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #73
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drafting can be argued, but Hudler can't. 4 years, $4M ?

Very rarely can you get good deals in UFA... You can argue the close calls like Brad Richards but you can't argue Hudler.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #74
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Giordano, Backlund, Bouma, Brodie, Stajan, Ortio and Ferland were all brought into the organization under Darryl's watch; they clearly had a large impact on this seasons team.

Why do so many "fans" feel the need to crap on ex-players, coaches and GM's as soon as they leave the organization?
Darryl saved this franchise in 2003, and he should always be remembered as one of the best people ever associated with the franchise.
Darryl Sutter the coach was a legend.

Darryl Sutter the GM was just downright trash.

The guy should have always remained a coach.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #75
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Darryl Sutter the coach was a legend.

Darryl Sutter the GM was just downright trash.

The guy should have always remained a coach.
Darryl started out well. Kipper, Nemo, Langkow, Juice, Cammalleri, Tanguay (v 1.0). Then it went down the crapper fast. Olli, Kotalik, Stajan + garbage (in fairness I like Stajan, but the return for Phanuef at the time should've been higher), never finding a suitable backup, Chucko, Pelech, etc.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #76
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it's a common misconception that Jay was the one who changed the drafting philosophy when in fact it started with Daryl, the guy who many like to say was terrible with drafting. If you look at when Button says the philosophy changed you see a drastic difference in draft success. The scouts do all the leg work. They compile the list. They deserve credit for the draft. So ya I think Feaster did some good things for this team I just think his drafting is vastly over-rated. I don't think the fan base should praise Feaster and crap on Sutter without knowing all the facts.
The GMs deserve credit because ultimately, they have to put their name on the decision. Jay Feaster was the one who stuck his neck out and drafted a 139 lb child. The buck ultimately stopped with him, and all the positive contributions he made to this team should be lionised accordingly.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #77
theoforever
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Darryl started out well. Kipper, Nemo, Langkow, Juice, Cammalleri, Tanguay (v 1.0). Then it went down the crapper fast. Olli, Kotalik, Stajan + garbage (in fairness I like Stajan, but the return for Phanuef at the time should've been higher), never finding a suitable backup, Chucko, Pelech, etc.
In the last days of Darryl, something happened to the man, most likely due to pressure and he became an unpleasant human being.
Loved him as the coach, trusted him as the GM early on, and became disappointed in the end.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #78
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think in the last days of Darryl there was an organizational tip to do whatever it took to win a cup. They had this core player group who had gone the distance in 04' that they still wanted to win with no matter the odds.

Would be similar to Pittsburgh's moves the last couple seasons. Chasing the cup, the power, with disregard to health of the organization.

The club that has really balanced things well has been Detroit.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #79
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Drafting can be argued, but Hudler can't. 4 years, $4M ?

Very rarely can you get good deals in UFA... You can argue the close calls like Brad Richards but you can't argue Hudler.
Very likely Hudler ends up in the top ten for league scoring. Besides Iginla who was the last Flames player to do that? Fleury?

And paying the guy $4 million per year... that was a masterstroke by Feaster.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #80
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Very likely Hudler ends up in the top ten for league scoring. Besides Iginla who was the last Flames player to do that? Fleury?

And paying the guy $4 million per year... that was a masterstroke by Feaster.

Yup. I hated Feaster when he left because of his trades. Have to give him credit on Hudler , Wideman signings. They both had career years this year. Give him props for Russel trade and getting Hartley into flames system . Wasn't impressed with much else, but those 4 transactions alone have turned into pure gold.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote