Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2023, 11:53 PM   #41
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but get a Thermacell. We have a permanent spot (private land, not 1 of those cram packed rv resorts) and we use the Thermacell a lot, for when we're sitting at our outdoor table or in the camp chairs, reading/drinking coffee/whatever. It really does help a lot with bugs. When we go out camping now, in the back of the truck, it's usually just the husband and I, and it's the first thing I pack into the truck and the first thing I get going as soon as we stop to set up.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 05:54 AM   #42
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but get a Thermacell. We have a permanent spot (private land, not 1 of those cram packed rv resorts) and we use the Thermacell a lot, for when we're sitting at our outdoor table or in the camp chairs, reading/drinking coffee/whatever. It really does help a lot with bugs. When we go out camping now, in the back of the truck, it's usually just the husband and I, and it's the first thing I pack into the truck and the first thing I get going as soon as we stop to set up.
Was going to post! The thermacell laterns are leaps and bounds better than the off ones.

Also afterbite
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:16 AM   #43
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I know you're into carpentry Surferguy, so saving some of those wood chips/saw dust you can wrap up in little cloth bags nice and tight makes great firestarter.

Tarps. Lots of tarps. Rope. If you're tenting it a tarp under your tent is a good idea. One above to run any rain water and dew off. Building a windbreak and lean-to for keeping firewood dry is always a nice touch.
Bungee cords and tarp straps help take out the slack easier than rope once it's all half asses up.

Don't forget booze.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 09:11 AM   #44
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I actually have a whole pile of wood chip and beeswax fire starters I built last year. They are pretty great at starting a fire in crap conditions. I might invest in a couple more tarps as well

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Well I know you're into carpentry Surferguy, so saving some of those wood chips/saw dust you can wrap up in little cloth bags nice and tight makes great firestarter.

Tarps. Lots of tarps. Rope. If you're tenting it a tarp under your tent is a good idea. One above to run any rain water and dew off. Building a windbreak and lean-to for keeping firewood dry is always a nice touch.
Bungee cords and tarp straps help take out the slack easier than rope once it's all half asses up.

Don't forget booze.
One thing is if your Tent needs a tarp over it to stop it from leaking you have the wrong tent. Don’t accept leaky tents in any conditions.

I generally agree with your lots of tarps comments though and certainly agree with using a grind sheet to make the floor last longer.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 09:36 AM   #46
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
What’s Sibbald Lake campground like? Is it boring? It kinda looks boring but I’ve never been there before.
I guess it depends what you are looking for... the lake, is more like a pond that I don't think you'd really want to swim in.

There is a kids play park there, some hiking trails around the area to the east, west and south. A group picnic area. A number of people that go there seem to do a lot of mountain biking in the area. It is nice and close and relatively quiet. No cell service.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socktape For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #47
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One thing is if your Tent needs a tarp over it to stop it from leaking you have the wrong tent. Don’t accept leaky tents in any conditions.

I generally agree with your lots of tarps comments though and certainly agree with using a grind sheet to make the floor last longer.
When I tented I always used a tarp above to insulate from ant sun, and to wick water off instead of having dew or moisture on top of your tent.
Not to patch up holes. Cover it up anyways.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #48
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We go tenting about once every two years and every time we take the tent down my wife and I bark at each other for forgetting about putting a tarp down underneath the tent. It's always wet and then we have to air dry it out at home. Grrrr
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:11 AM   #49
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

If you are getting so busy you need a grind sheet to make the floor of your tent last longer you may want to consider a more durable grind location.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:51 AM   #50
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually have a whole pile of wood chip and beeswax fire starters I built last year. They are pretty great at starting a fire in crap conditions. I might invest in a couple more tarps as well
Dryer lint goes up surprisingly fast too. If you can accumulate about a base ball sized chunk of lint (maybe a months worth?) can really help to get things going. Loosely packing it in a toilet paper roll works great.

And then look at people with knee high socks to see if you can do the below is always good for a laugh.

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #51
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're ATVing in inclement weather or snowmobiling, bring tampons to help start a fire. Just drop one in your gas tank and pull it out, always have a few in the tool compartment.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #52
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Please educate me on solar power banks. I would like something to be able to charge my phone while out in the woods.

Pros/cons?

A trick I was recently told: pre make breakfast sandwiches.

I cooked the egg and ham then placed on English muffin with cheese. Wrap in foil and freeze.

In the morning build your fire and then warm up the package on the coals.

It has worked pretty well for me so far.

I also purchased a collapsible bucket to have water on hand at the site to put out the fire at the end of the night.

https://www.amazon.ca/Collapsible-Fo...s%2C346&sr=8-3

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 04:24 PM   #53
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please educate me on solar power banks. I would like something to be able to charge my phone while out in the woods.

Pros/cons?
I've used a solar panel to charge a battery pack and then use that to charge my phone. Something like the link below.

Works pretty good, but it gets really hot. You need to cover/hide keep the battery/phone out of the sun

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EXWCPLC?...g=thewire0f-20
Old 07-24-2023, 04:41 PM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also just get a big enough battery bank to keep you going the weekend, unless you are going longer. Something like this will get you at least 5 full phone charges, and still keep you entertained if it rains all weekend.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Portable...p_ob_title_wld

If you want, later you should be able to pair it with a solar panel and have the panel charge it, here's a random one.

https://www.amazon.ca/ALLPOWERS-Fold.../dp/B08DKTZY7G
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 04:50 PM   #55
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a smaller solar generator, I use the Bluetti EB3A+PV120 | 600W, 268WH,120W Solar Kit.

My more permanent solar generator I use the EcoFlow DELTA 2 Portable Power Station and EcoFlow 160W Portable Solar Panel

I use the Ecoflow to run a fridge and induction cooktop.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-24-2023 at 05:14 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #56
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Solar power banks... Don't. Unless you don't have an alternative for a long time. I think it takes around 30-50 hours to fully charge most power banks, but I honestly also don't know what the discrepancies are in terms of larger solar panels (ie: Fold out ones) and side of the bank itself (ie: 10,000 mAh vs 25,000 mAh).

I think it'll charge enough to top up the bank and be enough to keep a phone well charged in a regular state, but perhaps not enough to justify the difference between a regular vs solar panel power bank.

Like, if you're going to be days up to weeks between being consistently around an outlet to charge, like a back packing trip or traveling, sure. But for weekends, I don't recommend it as an upgrade. Just get a larger basic power bank for the premium you're paying (ie: 20K or 2x 10K mAh power banks and wireless charging features). It's honestly more nuisance than benefit.

I have a solar power bank. If the world goes to #### it'll be something I have to keep a phone on airplane mode as a flashlight and a place to look at pics of loved ones... but for premium camping, it ain't something I'm contemplating.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:06 PM   #57
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That concrete nail idea instead of tent pegs is awesome.
These aren't too bad to stake down your tent either.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...p.html?loc=plp

I use these for tent, sun canopy and even lawn Christmas decorations in the winter.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #58
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

For those of you that use concrete nails as tent spikes - Tell me more. I broke/bent a few of mine a couple of days ago. I’ve see some at cabelas that have a small plastic tab on the top, are those the ones? Or are they just straight up large construction spikes?

Edit: the post above are the ones I’ve seen. They had them at cabelas a couple of weeks back for 88c a piece but I can’t seem to find that deal anymore.

Last edited by surferguy; 08-03-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #59
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I bought an Ecoflow River Pro and a solar panel (160W) this year to power an electric cooler and run devices. It's not at all cheap, if your spot is overly shaded it can run out over a weekend, and there's a lot more management of it required than I anticipated. It's great to have and I love it, but it's pricey and involved to venture beyond standard battery banks.

If charging devices is all you need, I think buying a bunch of little banks and charging them pre-trip is probably the best bet. Charging them there via solar might be a bit of a hassle.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2023, 12:23 PM   #60
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For those of you that use concrete nails as tent spikes - Tell me more. I broke/bent a few of mine a couple of days ago. I’ve see some at cabelas that have a small plastic tab on the top, are those the ones? Or are they just straight up large construction spikes?

Edit: the post above are the ones I’ve seen. They had them at cabelas a couple of weeks back for 88c a piece but I can’t seem to find that deal anymore.
We have had those same ones for over 15 years. Quite a few places here in Vernon sell them individually, if you can’t find any and want some just let me know.

Last edited by Lumby Lager; 08-03-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote