Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #5381
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole point of science fiction is to be believable -- a look at what could be possible in the future with massive advances in technology/knowledge.

Our technology and knowledge have already proven that the hammy concept of Lucy is false and impossible, so yes, it is harder to buy in then if she some sort of experiment or just born with it like someone out of X-Men.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #5382
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
Hmmm, you apparently don't read comments on the internet.
Yep. Pretty sure 10% is being generous in most cases.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #5383
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The whole point of science fiction is to be believable -- a look at what could be possible in the future with massive advances in technology/knowledge.

Our technology and knowledge have already proven that the hammy concept of Lucy is false and impossible, so yes, it is harder to buy in then if she some sort of experiment or just born with it like someone out of X-Men.

I'm with you, except for the bold.
The number of implausible or ridiculous science fiction movies that require you to fully suspend your belief or knowledge of the world vastly outnumbers the ones that are firmly routed in a plausible, attainable reality.

Minority Report would be one of the few that quickly pops in mind as containing mostly realistically plausible elements (save for the psychic kids floating in water), but for every MR there is a Matrix.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #5384
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post

Minority Report would be one of the few that quickly pops in mind as containing mostly realistically plausible elements (save for the psychic kids floating in water), but for every MR there is a Matrix.
I thought Matrix played with believability very well (the first one, at least). All of humanity enslaved by artificial intelligence and plugged in to a hyper realistic virtual reality our entire lives?

Part of the fun of that movie was everybody leaving thinking it actually had already happened!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #5385
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm with you, except for the bold.
The number of implausible or ridiculous science fiction movies that require you to fully suspend your belief or knowledge of the world vastly outnumbers the ones that are firmly routed in a plausible, attainable reality.

All I ask is for internal consistency with the rules of the universe. It doesn't matter how plausible the rules are as long a they are followed.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #5386
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
All I ask is for internal consistency with the rules of the universe. It doesn't matter how plausible the rules are as long a they are followed.

Within their own universe right?
So I mean in theory, as dumb as the 10% thing is, if that's a reality in the "Lucy" universe, then any and all outcomes from 'brain power unlocking' should be plausible, as it starts from a fictional premise, so long as it's internally consistent.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #5387
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Car accidents GMG

Do we have a resident CP lawyer who deals with personal injury?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #5388
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Car accidents GMG

Do we have a resident CP lawyer who deals with personal injury?
VladtheImpaler

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #5389
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Within their own universe right?
So I mean in theory, as dumb as the 10% thing is, if that's a reality in the "Lucy" universe, then any and all outcomes from 'brain power unlocking' should be plausible, as it starts from a fictional premise, so long as it's internally consistent.
That is my thought. Otherwise you might as well not bother watching sci-fi. The rules might be implausible or false but as long as they are followed I can watch it and not be annoyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #5390
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Getting sick in the middle of the summer GMG's.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 07-22-2014 at 03:14 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #5391
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Gettick sick in the middle of the summer GMG's.
I hate this one too.

One of my biggest right now is talking to people about playing on a hockey team. They always ask cost and once I give it to them they say....
"I 'll just spare when you need someone to play".

I know money is a legitimate issue but a lot of times to me it sounds like "I don't want to pay to play so if it's free, I am in"
Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #5392
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm living that right now. Went to bed perfectly fine one night last week, then woke up at 3am with a sore/dry throat and I've had it ever since.

Also, forgetting my lunch at home. God ####ing dammit.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #5393
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Home descriptions on MLS.
Every single home lists a chef's kitchen. I am sorry, putting a nice sink in a cramped kitchen doesn't make it a chef's kitchen. I know they are trying to trick people into the house with a glowing description, but if the description is far above the actual house then people just walk through disappointed.

I wish they would stick closer to actual descriptions for things rather than useless and wrong descriptions.

Spa ensuite is another one. So many homes list the ensuite as a spa when there is absolutely nothing special about the ensuite.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #5394
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Home descriptions on MLS.
Every single home lists a chef's kitchen. I am sorry, putting a nice sink in a cramped kitchen doesn't make it a chef's kitchen. I know they are trying to trick people into the house with a glowing description, but if the description is far above the actual house then people just walk through disappointed.

I wish they would stick closer to actual descriptions for things rather than useless and wrong descriptions.

Spa ensuite is another one. So many homes list the ensuite as a spa when there is absolutely nothing special about the ensuite.
But but but the tub is bigger than a regular one. Like a spa.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #5395
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #5396
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bras were invented by men, then button-up flys were invented by women.

Sadistic
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #5397
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I hate this one too.

One of my biggest right now is talking to people about playing on a hockey team. They always ask cost and once I give it to them they say....
"I 'll just spare when you need someone to play".

I know money is a legitimate issue but a lot of times to me it sounds like "I don't want to pay to play so if it's free, I am in"
Also a big gear grinder for me. I work out of town and usually only make a third of the games and I still pay the full rate knowing I'm not gonna play a lot.

Then we have guys that say they can't make any games and just wanna spare and end up playing more than 1/2 season on a free ride

I recommended charging spares $15 (still below cost) but of course the spares were offended by it. Give me a break do you think the ice is free? Simply never called them back... Some guys are understanding that things cost money and are willing to pay.

Annoying
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #5398
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
This times 1000x.

I got strep during my vacation so I was overdosing on advil so that I could still function and enjoy it.

Now I'm at work exhausted and sick. Finally got some antibiotics though so hopefully I'll be fine soon enough.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #5399
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Websites that automatically play a video (eg. NFL.com, Weather Network), specifically when you're at work. Especially the ones that start with a (extra loud) commercial, so you don't even have the option to pause it. C'mon man.

And you can tell it's summer when this thread has actually fallen off the first page..

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #5400
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It RGMG when your cutting a bagel on a plate and the knife quickly cuts through the bagel and hits the plate really hard, and it actually causes a ringing in your ears.
Closed Thread