Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
agubuan
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Suggestions for DVD to iTunes software converter.

I'm looking for a free software that can rip DVDs to iTunes format. Any suggestions.
agubuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I believe this is what handbrake does best.

Possible fata, though admittedly hard to find.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Though its development has been forcibly halted by law and it's almost 5 years old, I continue to use DVD Decrypter to rip DVD's. It is amazing. Most DVD's, it is a plug-and-rip device. Some newer DVD's, you have to play around with it a little bit in order to circumvent the digital locks. Not very user friendly, but it does the job and it does it well.

Then, once I have the DVD ripped, I use Videora (device name here) Converter. They have converters for iPod, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, XBox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, and a host of others.

However! Videora converter 5.04 had a huge bug in the audio decryption that caused noise spikes at random intervals. A rollback to 5.03 was necessary to remedy the problem. They've just recently come out with 6.00, but I haven't experimented with it yet to see how stable it is.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

+1 handbrake
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another happy user of Handbrake, though have not used the PC version, only the Mac version.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have used Handbrake on both the Mac and PC and it has done a great job on both.

However, it is a 2 step process. You first need to rip the DVD (I use Mac the Ripper on the Mac, DVD Decrypter was recommended here in this thread and in others for the PC) and then you use Handbrake to encode.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I have used Handbrake on both the Mac and PC and it has done a great job on both.

However, it is a 2 step process. You first need to rip the DVD (I use Mac the Ripper on the Mac, DVD Decrypter was recommended here in this thread and in others for the PC) and then you use Handbrake to encode.
Hmmm...I encode right from DVD on a Mac
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone use Handbrake to convert AVI to MP4 for Itunes/AppleTV? The quality isn't ready all that great in my mind. Any help?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Hmmm...I encode right from DVD on a Mac
Yup, probably because you have VLC installed. If you have VLC, Handbrake will use its libraries to do the decryption. It’s all covered in the handbrake documentation
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any advice for those DVD's that VLC won't break encryption on?

I am toying with the idea of re-ripping my DVD at a higher quality than my current divx collection, for an eventual Apple TV purchase, but after a test batch of 10 discs, 2 of them wouldn't work. With errors indicating the disc was encrypted.

One was a Disney (or Pixar) disc, I think Ratattouie and another was LOTR:Fellowship.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

MacTheRipper
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
MacTheRipper
On PC.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
agubuan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I downloaded handbrake and followed the instructions. So far, so good. Thanks to those who suggested it, another reason why CP rules.
agubuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Any advice for those DVD's that VLC won't break encryption on?

I am toying with the idea of re-ripping my DVD at a higher quality than my current divx collection, for an eventual Apple TV purchase, but after a test batch of 10 discs, 2 of them wouldn't work. With errors indicating the disc was encrypted.

One was a Disney (or Pixar) disc, I think Ratattouie and another was LOTR:Fellowship.
DVD Decrypter breaks an incredible number of encryptions. Though I acknowledge that Disney has been getting VERY good at encrypting their DVD's. I could not decrypt WALL-E without assistance from the trial version of SlySoft DVDRipper.

The WALL-E DVD had somehow managed to convince the DVD Decrypter software that there were 50+ versions of the movie on the DVD, which is naturally impossible. All but one of those tracks were garbage, but using DVD Decrypter to determine which one was the right one was too difficult. Each track was only seconds different in length from its neighbours. Using SlySoft DVDRipper as a support tool, the garbage tracks were removed and the right track discovered.

Lately I've noticed an encryption method whereby cells of garbage data are placed at the beginning and end of the movie tracks proper, preceding opening credits and succeeeding ending credits. These cells of garbage data confuse the software into running read loops instead of progressing further into the movie for decryption. Fortunately, these cells are easy to spot as they are usually less than a megabyte in size and fractions of a second in length. Directing the software to bypass cells of irregular size and time duration resulted in a successful decryption.

Honestly, the best digital lock I've ever encountered using the DVD decrypter software was on the Matrix DVD. The scenes where the filmmakers used the 360 degree camera tricks for the slow motion are not part of the movie proper, so in the movie opening when Trinity is cornered by the police, the scene where she jumps into the air and kicks the cop in the chest is missing entirely from the decrypted file. The soundtrack keeps on playing as if it was there though, so what you end up with is a sudden 5 second audio/video synchronization failure. No one's dialogue syncs with the movement of their lips for the rest of the movie.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 09-10-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Finished a cut-off sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to HeartsOfFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Disney seems to be the only one that encrypts dvd's really well. I use a combo of mactheripper and handbrake as well.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

DVD Shrink to rip the DVD
- There are others out there, I just happen to use this one. To save time ripping the DVD you don't need to rip the whole thing just the movie or TV show. This will cut down on the ripping time.

Handbrake for encoding
- You can setup a queue of several movies and/or TV shows. I would have it run over night and while I was at work. Worked like a champ. Just keep an eye out for windows updates (you computer may restart) and other scheduled tasks.

MetaX for Windows
- Port of the Mac program. This will tag your mp4 videos so they will have things like title, date, description, artwork. This is a must have if you are using iTunes and other Apple devices. The program looks ugly, but it works. It can also find chapters titles and lengths which is awesome for movies.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how to get partial subtitles? I have been trying forever to get Kill Bill's subtitles working. It only has subtitles for part of the movie and I can't get it working.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
On PC.
SlySoft AnyDVD...transparent DVD decryption. Just pop in a DVD, copy off the data (or encode directly from the DVD to your hard drive, which saves a lot of time since you aren’t copying all that data to a temp folder first)
Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Prototype

Exp:

I have a PC, and I've found some success with DVDFab.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
SlySoft AnyDVD...transparent DVD decryption. Just pop in a DVD, copy off the data (or encode directly from the DVD to your hard drive, which saves a lot of time since you aren’t copying all that data to a temp folder first)
For folks that can't be bothered to play around with other software and just want a quick 1-click be-all-end-all solution to ripping and converting, yes. Slysoft is by and far the best software available. If you're willing to fork out the money they want you to pay.

Just decrypted and copied Gamer to my hard drive. I'm about to encode it.
Chapter 1 - Cells 1 thru 7 contained garbage loop-back data
Chapter 25 - Garbage data in its entirety

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 09-13-2010 at 09:25 PM.