Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
icon54 Another computer help thread

Hey all,

I have been having an intermittent issue with what I believe is my graphics card. The symptoms that I have experienced is the same type of crash time and time again (screen freezes for a second, then massive artifacting and almost vertical lines appearing in a multitude of colors, followed by all display shutting down) which happen upon me playing a game or opening a video.

This happened months ago, and I tried to figure out what was causing it, but it seemed to fix itself after a bunch of reboots (I knew in my heart that it'd be back, but these things are so irritating I just deceived myself for the moment).

I've tested my system memory, my video card memory, updated drivers etc. I've watched temperatures on my video card which while high seem to be in range for the type of card (gtx 280).

I wish I had a spare graphics card to switch out with my current one, but alas I do not...I am seeing if I can get a buddies extra card sometime in the next few days.

Any ideas or utilities people can recommend to test my system to try to diagnose it?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And after perhaps 6 hours of tinkering, it seems to be working again.

I installed the newest drivers for the card ontop of the already installed newest drivers for the card and it all seems to work. Installing something twice is better than once I guess.

I did get my hands on another video card as well though, so if it starts crashing again I guess I have another way to diagnose the problem.

Sorry for the spam thread I guess!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Run Furmark and see if your card artifacts at stock clocks.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-1.8.2_d2523.html

If your card does artifact and starts having issues, do you still have warranty with it? If not, I would suggest trying to "bake" you card in the oven. I am serious.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-ca...-oven-fix.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: