Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Home Theater: Apple TV vs Mac Mini

Is anyone out there using a Mac Mini (server or regular) as a home theater server? I love my Apple TV, but it's really only truly worthwhile after it's jail broken and running XBMC.

This got me thinking... Why don't I just use a Mac Mini instead? They have a better processor, better graphics, more storage, run an actual desktop OS and allow for peripherals. Just plug an HDMI cable in, setup a bluetooth Apple keyboard, and I should be away to the races.

Right now, I'm using my new MBP for my work, school and gaming. I'm using my white MB for usenet and streaming to my hacked ATV... I could sell the MB and ATV and replace them both with a single Mac Mini.

Any thoughts?

(PS: I'm already aware that I can probably build a PC box for about $6 and use it instead, so don't worry about bringing that up. I'm looking specifically for feedback about the Mac Mini. Thanks.)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have done this approach in the past. I absolutely loved it. Combined the mini with Bluetooth accessories. 1080p!

Only downside is less "user" friendly unless you use front row or something of the sort in comparision to atv...
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

A buddy at work uses a Mac Mini as an HTPC and swears it's the best thing going.

I'm not really sure what the question is. Of course the Mac Mini is going to be better in pretty much every way than the ATV. Especially if you're using your old MB mostly just as support for your ATV and can subsidize the cost of it by selling them both. Looks like win/win to me.

My buddy has some app/scripts that automatically pull down every new episode of every show he's interested in. It essentially is used as a PVR without live TV. Sounds like a sweet setup.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 03-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
I have done this approach in the past. I absolutely loved it. Combined the mini with Bluetooth accessories. 1080p!

Only downside is less "user" friendly unless you use front row or something of the sort in comparision to atv...
Sounds like he'll be using XBMC, which even my gf has no problem navigating.

Which is saying a lot.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not really concerned with user-friendliness. I'm just wondering about any quirks that I haven't thought of yet. Things like how Netflix looks in full screen mode using the browser plugin, or movies in iTunes etc.

I just seem to remember the last time I thought about doing this, there was a few things that came up that deterred me from actually going through with it. Although, now that I think about it, I think the main thing was the lack of HDMI on the older models...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Yeah, I'm not really concerned with user-friendliness. I'm just wondering about any quirks that I haven't thought of yet. Things like how Netflix looks in full screen mode using the browser plugin, or movies in iTunes etc.

I just seem to remember the last time I thought about doing this, there was a few things that came up that deterred me from actually going through with it. Although, now that I think about it, I think the main thing was the lack of HDMI on the older models...
I've watched iTunes HD content via my HTPC and there's no discernible difference between it and through the AppleTV. I use the ATV for this normally though because the interface is much better suited to a remote control.

I thought the XBMC Netflix plugin didn't support HD, for some reason...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I've watched iTunes HD content via my HTPC and there's no discernible difference between it and through the AppleTV. I use the ATV for this normally though because the interface is much better suited to a remote control.

I thought the XBMC Netflix plugin didn't support HD, for some reason...
I don't intend to use XBMC at all on the Mac Mini. I'm just using it now on my ATV.

Although... I don't know. Maybe I will use it, or maybe not... This is all new territory for me now.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the advantage of using XBMC on the ATV? File format support?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
What's the advantage of using XBMC on the ATV? File format support?
- Plays anything
- Slick UI
- Stream from anything (doesn't have to be in iTunes)
- Library Browser is second to none, IMO

I really think XBMC is about as good as it gets for Media Center software, though I've heard Plex (which is based on XBMC) is quite good as well.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used to like Plex...but I think XBMC is a much superior software...

No need to transcode to devices that don't have that codec..since XBMC supports all.

Really not a fan of the Plex Media server used to library your catalogue...really finnicky with metadata.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
- Plays anything
- Slick UI
- Stream from anything (doesn't have to be in iTunes)
- Library Browser is second to none, IMO

I really think XBMC is about as good as it gets for Media Center software, though I've heard Plex (which is based on XBMC) is quite good as well.
Can it play Apple DRM movie files from iTunes?

I looked at Plex but it wouldn't play any of the plug-in videos unless I downgraded my flash to version 10.0.X. This sucked and I stopped looking into Plex as a Media Center.

As to the original post. The Mini is a great home theatre device but isn't the Mini due for a refresh soon? I figure the spec's on the new Mini would look similar to the 13" MBP. Wouldn't it be better to wait for the refresh model?
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Can it play Apple DRM movie files from iTunes?

I looked at Plex but it wouldn't play any of the plug-in videos unless I downgraded my flash to version 10.0.X. This sucked and I stopped looking into Plex as a Media Center.

As to the original post. The Mini is a great home theatre device but isn't the Mini due for a refresh soon? I figure the spec's on the new Mini would look similar to the 13" MBP. Wouldn't it be better to wait for the refresh model?
As far as I know, none of them will play Apple DRM movies. I fire up XBMC when I want to watch something I've downloaded, and use the regular ATV functions for everything else.

Good point about the refresh, btw. I was planning on giving it a month or so. There's a rumored iMac refresh coming in the next month, although I'm thinking it might not happen until Lion releases in the Summer.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn now you've got me thinking about ditching my huge HTPC for a nice compact Mac Mini...

Really, even the 2009 models should have more than enough horsepower for 1080p content. You can probably get those on the cheap...

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As far as I know, none of them will play Apple DRM movies. I fire up XBMC when I want to watch something I've downloaded, and use the regular ATV functions for everything else.

Good point about the refresh, btw. I was planning on giving it a month or so. There's a rumored iMac refresh coming in the next month, although I'm thinking it might not happen until Lion releases in the Summer.
This brings up another question I had about Apple's upgrade policy. IF the iMac and/or Mini come out before Lion, is there a free or subsidized upgrade path to get Lion or does Apple make us pay the full price? If we have to pay the full price, why would anyone want to do a hardware upgrade before the new OS comes out?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
This brings up another question I had about Apple's upgrade policy. IF the iMac and/or Mini come out before Lion, is there a free or subsidized upgrade path to get Lion or does Apple make us pay the full price? If we have to pay the full price, why would anyone want to do a hardware upgrade before the new OS comes out?
I don't know, but full price for Snow Leopard is $35.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Damn now you've got me thinking about ditching my huge HTPC for a nice compact Mac Mini...

Really, even the 2009 models should have more than enough horsepower for 1080p content. You can probably get those on the cheap...
Haha, I know hey?

And, yeah... for my purposes, a current model would work just fine. I would be irked to see them upgraded to an i5 or something in a couple months though. That's really the only reason I would think about waiting.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, but full price for Snow Leopard is $35.
$35 isn't bad but wasn't Snow Leopard sort of like an incremental upgrade? Wasn't 10.5 Leopard $129? If Lion comes in around $129 then I'll probably wait for that to come out before I buy any hardware unless there is some sort of upgrade migration.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
$35 isn't bad but wasn't Snow Leopard sort of like an incremental upgrade? Wasn't 10.5 Leopard $129? If Lion comes in around $129 then I'll probably wait for that to come out before I buy any hardware unless there is some sort of upgrade migration.
Ohhh, I see what you're getting at. Yeah, Apple usually has a grace period where you pay a discounted price to get new software, if you bought hardware within a certain time prior. For instance when iLife 11 was announced, people who purchased new Macs for a month or two prior were able to buy iLife 11 for just the cost of shipping (I believe).

For my own selfish purposes, though, this is all a moot discussion. As a registered Mac Developer, I get OS X for free.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

An equally good point on Apple not releasing a new hardware refresh until Lion gets released. Since The Mini currently has a server model and it looks like Lion will make the server model redundant since it has the server software built in, it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Mini server. Was thinking it would be nice if Apple came out with a lighter version of the current mini to use as a HTPC. Maybe they could call it their ATV Pro or something.

Is it true that Lion does not have Front Row anymore? Will they go with a newer version of iTunes or something to be their new media player if Front Row isn't added by release?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it true that Lion does not have Front Row anymore? Will they go with a newer version of iTunes or something to be their new media player if Front Row isn't added by release?
People use Front Row?