Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default RPGs for the PS3

My PS3 Slim just arrived today and as it stands now I won't have any games until NHL 10 is released on the 15th. I'm going to go out later and rent 4 or 5 games, and hopefully find some that I want to buy too.

I'm a big fan of RPGs, but the PS3 catalog for the genre seems kind of small. Can any of you recommend some good RPGs for the PS3? Are there any Final Fantasy-esque games out right now, or any soon-to-be released games that are expected to make a big splash?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Having owned a Playstation for a year now, were I to be purchasing a system now, the first game I would buy would be Batman. Even though it is new, I think the replay factor for me will be high. The challenges are fun, working your way through the surprisingly expansive map is fun, and everything about the game oozes awesome.

It's also an RPG that you can play a little bit at a time, which for a gamer like myself, is a huge bonus. I don't always have two hours to plunk down on a level, and the challenges in batman allow me to play for 10 minutes if I am waiting for the wife to get ready.

The game is just so great, it will easily tide you over until NHL comes out, and then probably for awhile to come.

I would also rent Fallout 3. Great game from what I've played, but I have really only gotten part way through. If you are looking to log hours, this is an expansive game.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are no good Final Fantasy type games at all. The closest would be white knight chronicles but that's not until 2010. I highly recommend Valkyria Chronicles if you like strategy rpgs(the japanese kind). Demon Soul's is supposed to be good, comes out in october I think.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Human Torch hit the nail right on the head. There's nothing spectacular when it comes to RPGs on the PS3, yet. Valkyria Chronicles (if you can find it) is supposed to be amazing and Demon Souls is supposed to be great though it's expected release date is sometime in October. Another game called Tales of Vesperia has been announced for the PS3 (it's already out on the XBox) though I'm not sure if that's a worldwide release or Japan only. You should probably check that one out too as it's a pretty good JRPG.

Also, as Flash Walken stated, Fallout 3 is a great RPG and I believe in the next few weeks they will be releasing all the DLC packs (five in total) for the PS3.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oblivion is the highest rated PS3 RPG game on game sites. I bought it not too long ago and it seems pretty good, but I'm not too far into it.

I stole a horse from a monastery, so that gave it good marks in my books.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oblivion is a decent game, with a very flawed levelling system. I'd recommend Fallout 3 way before that one.

They don't have too many RPGs so far though. Valkyrie Chronicles is a great one, it has some RPG/Strategy elements to it. Eternal Sonata is a very linear RPG, yet has a nice combat system to it.

I've heard good things about Folklore, but haven't tried it out.

Coming this fall, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS is going to be a much needed RPG on the system, even though it is coming out on the 360 and PC as well. It's made by Bioware and reminds me of a cross between Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic. Watch out for that one in November.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

if youre really desperate to play a FF-esque RPG on the PS3, if you dont have it already, you can always buy ff7 from the playstation store for $9.99 (it can also be trasnferred to a PSP if you have one)

actually I would recommend checking out PSN anyways because theres a lot of good and unique games on there, and most for pretty cheap as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Oblivion is a decent game, with a very flawed levelling system. I'd recommend Fallout 3 way before that one.

They don't have too many RPGs so far though. Valkyrie Chronicles is a great one, it has some RPG/Strategy elements to it. Eternal Sonata is a very linear RPG, yet has a nice combat system to it.

I've heard good things about Folklore, but haven't tried it out.

Coming this fall, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS is going to be a much needed RPG on the system, even though it is coming out on the 360 and PC as well. It's made by Bioware and reminds me of a cross between Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic. Watch out for that one in November.
Agreed. The leveling in Oblivion was quite stupid. But I would suggest Oblivion before Fallout. Oblivion is way longer and IMO the better game. Fallout 3 is good don't get me wrong, I have all 5 of the DLC's for it (360), but Oblivion I would suggest first.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Valkyria Chronicles (if you can find it)
I saw a bunch at Best Buy last time I was there. Liked it much more than Oblivion and Fallout.

I think Eternal Sonata has a demo on PSN, if you want to DL and try it out.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by czure32 View Post
if youre really desperate to play a FF-esque RPG on the PS3, if you dont have it already, you can always buy ff7 from the playstation store for $9.99 (it can also be trasnferred to a PSP if you have one)

actually I would recommend checking out PSN anyways because theres a lot of good and unique games on there, and most for pretty cheap as well.
Ya Wild Arms is good too.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Having owned a Playstation for a year now, were I to be purchasing a system now, the first game I would buy would be Batman. Even though it is new, I think the replay factor for me will be high. The challenges are fun, working your way through the surprisingly expansive map is fun, and everything about the game oozes awesome.

It's also an RPG that you can play a little bit at a time, which for a gamer like myself, is a huge bonus. I don't always have two hours to plunk down on a level, and the challenges in batman allow me to play for 10 minutes if I am waiting for the wife to get ready.

The game is just so great, it will easily tide you over until NHL comes out, and then probably for awhile to come.
Arkham Asylum isn't an RPG at all. It's a stealth/combat game. It's more like
the Splinter Cell genre than an RPG!

The PS3 has a lot of RPG games, unfortunately, they are all in Japanese...

Valkyrie Chronicles might be called an RPG but it's really a strategy game like Final Fantasy Tactics.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hate FPS and Third Person Shooter styled games, but absolutely love RPGs and stuff like that.

I highly recommend Uncharted, which is mentioned in another thread still on the first page of the Tech Talk forum.
Deegee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
I hate FPS and Third Person Shooter styled games, but absolutely love RPGs and stuff like that.

I highly recommend Uncharted, which is mentioned in another thread still on the first page of the Tech Talk forum.
But that's a 3rd person shooter? :P

IMO, I would have loved Uncharted that was just about exploring and solving mysteries. No stupid wave after wave of thugs and monsters and zombies and nazis.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's my whole point. IMO Uncharted is so fun and the combat is easy enough that people who get frusterated with those style of games can still enjoy it.

I think that says a lot about a game's quality.
Deegee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I got tired of having to shoot guys who weren't even wearing T-Shirts like 5-10 times to kill them unless it was with a Magnum. Are they born with bullet proof skin?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
5-10 times
....really now?

Also this rpg looks like one to watch for:

http://www.3d-heroes.net/images/s3.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/20/fr...art-ps3-style/

Last edited by Human Torch; 09-01-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll add in another thumbs up for Valkyria Chronicles. I'm not going to go in depth about the game (you kind find all kinds of stuff all over the internet), but I will say it is by far my favorite game on the PS3 and right near the top of my list for best games I've played in years.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy , nhl 10 , ps3 , rpg