Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #221
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Monahan has been soft as hell I watched maybe 5 min of the game last night but the part I saw Johnny was thrown down, and got up and threw a shove after the whistle and Russell came in and started roughing up gaudreau. Monahan was right behind Russell and could have at least pulled him away but he did nothing just skated past
Ya this was one thing that really stood out to me. He skated toward the scrum and basically wanted nothing to do with it. Your 150lbs star winger is getting rag dolled and you shy away. Monahan has been scoring but you need to stick up for your teamates there, show some team pride and some fight..... show you don't like to lose and you won't let your star players go in alone in a scrum. It's just the way he is wired I think, I don't know if that can change.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #222
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Gulutzan's only saving grace at this point is his record is still ~.500. Just when you thought this group had figured things out, they fall back into abject mediocrity. Defensive coverage in their own zone is still a glaring problem, two of the three goals Johnson let in were complete defensive breakdowns. And things didn't get much better in that regard when he was pulled, the first Elliott goal was a gift by the Flames D. You can only blame goaltending for so much, just watch those goals and tell me what the goalies were supposed to do there -- seriously.

No idea how to fix this one, but it is abundantly clear Treliving needs to make some changes soon or the season is as good as lost.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #223
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for me it's the way they're losing that bothers me. When's the last game they lost where they haven't been completely outplayed? It seems like too often the losses are never close.

This team is showing progress from last year, and that's good. They're in a playoff battle, but they're not quite there yet. They have a lot of dead weight coming off the books this year and are in a great position for the expansion draft. If losing Ferland is the worst case scenario, count me in. This is going to be a huge off-season for Treliving. If we come into camp with another Chiasson as the best option for Gaudreau to play with he will have failed.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #224
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Gulutzan's only saving grace at this point is his record is still ~.500. Just when you thought this group had figured things out, they fall back into abject mediocrity. Defensive coverage in their own zone is still a glaring problem, two of the three goals Johnson let in were complete defensive breakdowns. And things didn't get much better in that regard when he was pulled, the first Elliott goal was a gift by the Flames D. You can only blame goaltending for so much, just watch those goals and tell me what the goalies were supposed to do there -- seriously.

No idea how to fix this one, but it is abundantly clear Treliving needs to make some changes soon or the season is as good as lost.
I don't want any desperation trades being done to salvage a season that wasn't going anywhere in the first place. Really how high a price do you want to pay to be first round fodder? I don't want to pay futures for an extra 1.5 weeks of hockey and I hope management feels this way.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #225
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blow it up.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #226
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob Hartley is laughing right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Bob Hartley is laughing right now.
I would imagine Bob and Jay have been exchanging a few LOL texts back and forth this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #228
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would imagine Bob and Jay have been exchanging a few LOL texts back and forth this season.
Actually I doubt it. They have deep relationships with many on the team and probably would like them to succeed not fail. Unless they are petty and shallow individuals.
When I work with people I like and one of us move on I still hope they have success because that matters a lot more than ones own bruised ego
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #229
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Only half watched the game last night with no sound. Just watched the full highlights. To be honest it seemed like the Flames had as many if not more scoring chances than the Oilers. Not sure if that was just the dtmts highlight package or what.

Also, he was ok earlier in the year but Dennis Wideman is playing like a borderline NHLer right now. He is so bad. So many of those goals were the result of him standing around with Brodie trying to make up for him. Please for the love of god get him away from Brodie. So frustrating - wtf is Gully doing.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #230
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcli View Post
I am disappointed that GG is not fired this morning. This incompetence in coaching/playing hockey cannot continue, for integrity and professionalism.
I did that every morning up until the mid-November when they started to go on their hot streak. I'm back to doing it now. I always felt he wasn't the right fit but winning made me tolerate him.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #231
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, its pretty depressing that the Flames lost back to back games against playoff rivals. Its hard to take loses like this when the team should be playing better. The Flames are still waking up in a playoff spot, so their still is hope. But its hope that is the killer. The star players need to be the difference maker and it just isn't happening. Losing streaks happen, this team has the depth the rebound but they cant wait for it to be too late.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #232
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know what the Flames need. What is sorely missing.

I deal with pain by making jokes.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #233
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Flames fans are only having heart attacks right now because they've drank too many salty Oiler tears over the years.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/micro...d/Saltseffects
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #234
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This team needs a head coach that's seen this before and knows what buttons to press. I didn't have any issue with him not bag skating the team as I understand the approach but it didn't work and in hindsight he probably should have bag skated them. I don't get paid to be right on these calls and he does. His management of the goaltenders has been questionable as well. You have Brodie playing on the wrong side and it just seems everything he's doing isn't working out that well. His system looks fundamentally better than Hartley's but the only players that seem able to flourish under it is the bottom six players as the skill players have looked rudderless from the opening face off in October.

It's going to be a difficult offseason for the Flames as on one hand you don't want to fire a head coach after only one season but I'm not sure how they will sell season tickets brining this guy back. Because the fanbase never embraced this hiring in the first place.
Darryl Sutter?

To be fair, the mistakes he's made shouldn't be life or death for a team that's good enough to perennially make the playoffs.

HOWEVER, we've seen the coach before him get a lot more out of these exact same players, and we've seen their ability to perform before, and push back to tie games before, so it is there. GG just might not be the man to bring it out of them. It's not a slight against what he knows. His system might fundamentally be the way the team needs to go in, but you need someone that can implement a culture of hard work and not allow these lulls in giving a crap to happen. In two games against a team looking to leapfrog them and their provincial rivals, back to back? That can't happen.

I'd have to think that if they continue to fall off they even contemplate making a bench change before the season is out.

They have an ex-head coach sharing the bench with GG that could be a stop gap. But making the move at least tells the fans that they care enough to not stand idle as another season goes down the drain. It would've been knee-jerk in october, I grant them that. But 50-60 games in without overall improvement from the previous season in a team that should be trending upwards I feel is enough justification to make a move.

Is it not, Mr. Treliving?

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-22-2017 at 03:24 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #235
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Fair enough, but as someone who has also watched them be mediocre for the majority of my life I would say keep supporting and that you are lucky enough to have season tickets. I love this team and if they lose to the Oilers every game for the next 10 years I still will. We need fans who are devoted to this team do t give up.
Easy for you to say when it's not your money being spent.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #236
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I know what the Flames need. What is sorely missing.

I deal with pain by making jokes.
I'd be open to anything right now. Anyone know Kovalchuk's eligibility to play RW for the Flames?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote