Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #41
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love green olives and the blacks are OK. I always thought olives had high calories but this thread caused me to check and they're not, so thank you. Specialty and stuffed olives are amazing. Time to head to Costco.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #42
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I like olives and peter12 but not hickory sticks.

Peter12 and hickory sticks are both ok in small doses
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even sure it's possible to eat a small dose of hickory sticks though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not even sure it's possible to eat a small dose of hickory sticks though.
Sure it is, most of them slip through your fingers as you're putting them to your mouth anyway.

What a dumb snack. Like trying to eat a bag of nerds.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #45
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Sure it is, most of them slip through your fingers as you're putting them to your mouth anyway.

What a dumb snack. Like trying to eat a bag of nerds.
The trick is to cut off a small corner of the bag, tip upside down over mouth...throw away bag.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #46
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The trick is to cut off a small corner of the bag, tip upside down over mouth...throw away bag.
Is this the playground during grade 2 recess? Do I do this before or after crushing up my ramen noodles and eating them raw?

I'm a civilised man. I have many leather bound books and my tv room where I do most of my snacking smells or rich mahogany.

There is no way for a sophisticated man like myself to eat hickory sticks in a dignified fashion. It's the snack food of the savage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Morroccan sun drieds are really tasty, different texture than your standard olive. They are a deep black colour and almost always have very wrinkly looking skin. Honestly, if you didn't know what they were you'd probably think they were old and gross but they are really delicious.

They are salt cured instead of brine cured, so their flavour really gets concentrated inside, like salt curing a ham. The flesh is less watery than your standard olive but isn't 'mushy'. Really excellent texture to them.

They are probably my favourite olives to eat 'as is' and are an excellent snack to eat with a beer. Better than pretzels or peanuts, but not as cheap.
Because of this thread, I ended up buying a container of sun dried smoked olives today. After placing one in my mouth... I even discovered combining the flavor with a smoked cheese can easily mellow out and enhance the flavor.

I totally understand the beer snack comment. Most beer snacks aren't salty enough after a while.

Thanks CP! First the Sous Vide, now a world of olives to explore.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickory sticks are awesome in Congee. They are similar in texture to the "crispy" stuff they offer in Asia to put in Congee (along with sometimes salted peanuts, chopped green onion or cilantro) but saltier, which is great because Congee often isn't very salty.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #49
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olives and cheese are awesome.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #50
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a massive olive guy myself being Greek. It's almost a religion in Greece when it comes to olives and olive oil.

Olives by their nature are generally salty as they are preserved in brine and are usually picked in the fall, so technically by the time they arrive in North America, its usually a winter food product. Olives can stay "fresh" for a long time, over a year in a lot of cases due to the salt content.

They are an excellent source of many nutrients and have many heart benefits from the monounsaturated fat, which is a healthy fat. If you take out the pits in an olive, such as a pitted Kalamata olive, you loose a little of the flavor. Keeping the pit is the best way to go for full flavor. If you really want to add some nice taste I would suggest sprinkling just a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of fresh oregano (crush it in the palm of your hand using your other hand, this brings out the aromas)

Another little tip is not to be duped by some stores with sky high prices on things such as Italian olives and Italian olive oil. In my PERSONAL opinion, Italians do a much better job of marketing their cuisine and get away with higher prices. A lot of olives and olive oil that is marked "imported from Italy" is generally Greek or olives from Spain that Italian producers source for their products. Generally speaking, a product will say "product of Italy, Greece, Spain" etc if its product is fully from that region.

I usually don't do this but if anybody is interested, my family owns the little Greek grocery store downtown called Kalamata Grocery. We have an insane amount of olives from all over the world and samples are always free!! Some of my favorite olives are garlic stuffed, feta cheese stuffed and jalapeno stuffed. Prices are also very fair and much lower than almost anywhere else in the city.

If anybody has any additional questions about olives, olive oil or Greek cuisine in general, let me know.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 AM   #51
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feta stuffed olives - those sound amazing.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #52
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Feta stuffed olives - those sound amazing.
They are super tasty morsels
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #53
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am a massive olive guy myself being Greek. It's almost a religion in Greece when it comes to olives and olive oil.

Olives by their nature are generally salty as they are preserved in brine and are usually picked in the fall, so technically by the time they arrive in North America, its usually a winter food product. Olives can stay "fresh" for a long time, over a year in a lot of cases due to the salt content.

They are an excellent source of many nutrients and have many heart benefits from the monounsaturated fat, which is a healthy fat. If you take out the pits in an olive, such as a pitted Kalamata olive, you loose a little of the flavor. Keeping the pit is the best way to go for full flavor. If you really want to add some nice taste I would suggest sprinkling just a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of fresh oregano (crush it in the palm of your hand using your other hand, this brings out the aromas)

Another little tip is not to be duped by some stores with sky high prices on things such as Italian olives and Italian olive oil. In my PERSONAL opinion, Italians do a much better job of marketing their cuisine and get away with higher prices. A lot of olives and olive oil that is marked "imported from Italy" is generally Greek or olives from Spain that Italian producers source for their products. Generally speaking, a product will say "product of Italy, Greece, Spain" etc if its product is fully from that region.

I usually don't do this but if anybody is interested, my family owns the little Greek grocery store downtown called Kalamata Grocery. We have an insane amount of olives from all over the world and samples are always free!! Some of my favorite olives are garlic stuffed, feta cheese stuffed and jalapeno stuffed. Prices are also very fair and much lower than almost anywhere else in the city.

If anybody has any additional questions about olives, olive oil or Greek cuisine in general, let me know.

I have a question.

What time is your family's grocery store open until today?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #54
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH93 View Post
I have a question.

What time is your family's grocery store open until today?
It's open 8 am till 11 pm every day except Christmas.

I am working tonight so don't be shy about saying hello to a fellow CPer
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #55
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
It's open 8 am till 11 pm every day except Christmas.

I am working tonight so don't be shy about saying hello to a fellow CPer

I already dropped by this morning shortly after reading your post. Got myself three small packs of olives. I'll be returning for sure!
Old 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #56
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Olive crew here, I could eat a jar and then drink the brine

Come at me
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #57
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Olive crew here, I could eat a jar and then drink the brine

Come at me
I believe the olives, but I'd be really impressed if you could keep the brine down.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #58
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love kalamata grocery! They used to have cheap smokes too, back when I smoked :-)
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #59
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Love kalamata grocery! They used to have cheap smokes too, back when I smoked :-)
This the place north of 17sw? Can't remember the Ave of hand.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #60
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah just north on 11th
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:

Tags
olives , your mom