Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What they never showed on Cheers was that Norm was probably a mean and bitter drunk.

Except for that one episode where he went to town on the restaurant owner next door about firing his wife who we never saw in the show.

(actually one of the best episodes)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #42
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:13 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #43
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only had one incident where someone came out of the car to confront me.

I was on driving on Blackfoot/Ogden and was completely lost because I wasn't familiar with the area at the time. I was scanning the area to figure out where the crap I was, saw an access to the right and changed lanes without shoulder checking. Accidentally cut this guy off. My bad. I waved and apologized.

Wasn't enough.

Guy followed me as I pulled over to figure out where I was. Old man hops out of his pick-up and just starts yelling at me. I told him I was lost and apologized. Still kept yelling. I got fed up and yelled back at him and just got into a shouting match with him. Upon hindsight (this was a few years back) I probably should have just driven away since I was still just sitting in my car, but I just kept shouting at him instead. Eventually he got back into his car. His wife was looking at me making slanty-eyed gestures at me (classy) and took off.

I definitely could have handled the situation better by just totally ignoring him like you, but heat of the moment and all that jazz. At the same time, it will probably be the only time in my life I get to tell an old man to "grow up" lol.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #44
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I would be tempted to get out and cave the guys head in with my tire iron. Unless he looked tougher than me of course.
Just wait, soon nerds will win this battle too. So rather than having to be tougher, nerds will just hack the car to get on the #1 and drive east until it runs out of gas.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #45
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you should have given him a hockey stick beat down.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #46
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other day my wife was driving on the QEII back from Airdrie and we passed a long line of traffic going 60KMH in the right hand lane. There was some guy in an old van at the front putzing along and fingering everybody that passed him.

People are weird.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #47
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not to derail the thread but is the term 'fingering them' the right way to say that? The wife always says that. 'I got cutoff today so I fingered the guy', really you fingered him? Can't be right is it??

I don't really have any road rage stories. Though I did have an interesting situation with a cop last year. I was cruising along the Trans Canada out to Strathmore and a ghost car suddenly appeared behind me with his lights flashing. I wasn't really speeding, maybe doing 120 or so and was a bit confused as to why he was pulling me over. Apparently I had some flattened boxes in the back of my truck that were flying around. So as he's approaching my vehicle I hear him screaming:
"It's not enough that you're speeding but YOU'VE GOT BOXES FLYING ALL OVER THE GOD DAMN PLACE!"
He was legit full on yelling at me, like temper tantrum, worst day of my life and you're gonna pay for it type yelling. As he was screaming while walking up to me I sort of recognized the voice and once he was at my window I immediately recognized him as an old client of mine from my previous career. He must have recognized me too because after I hopped out and grabbed the 2 flattened boxes he just said "Ok have a good day" and sped off. Was so bizarre.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #48
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

3 or 4 years ago I was parked at a red light. The light turned from red to green and evidently I was not fast enough out of the box so the car behind me honked at me 3 or 4 times as I was driving.

After the 3rd or 4th honk I gave him a quick finger and went to move to the right lane so he could pass me. Instead of passing me he proceeded to move to the right lane with me and follow me.

He tailgated me, at first after 5 minutes of following me, I thought maybe he lived in the general area where I lived until he followed me onto my street. As I approached my home I drove past it as I knew by this point that he was following me to my home within inches of my car.

I went around the block and back out the other side and stopped at a stop sign with traffic going both ways onto the main drag.

The man then got out of his car and came to my car (I instantly locked all my doors) and started beating my windshield, shaking my car and calling me all sorts of profanities and telling me he was going to kick the (profanity, profanity) out of me. When I wouldn't get out of my car he started punching my windshield and calling me a ##### and screaming that he wanted to fight me so he could end me.

I went to call 911 but of course my cell phone was dead so I could not. I proceeded to drive away and leave him there.......until he caught up with me. I slowed down and he tried to pass me and slam on his breaks. I am glad he did because I was prepared for it and used it as an opportunity to get his license plate number.

He then drove away from me and finally left me alone as I drove to the police station and filed a report. A police officer called me that night to tell me to draft up an email for him regarding the incident, which I did. Unfortunately the police officer never did get back to me.

The fact that nothing was done about this doesn't sit that well with me because it basically makes these people believe they have a right to do this without consequence.

Last edited by Hockeyboy2; 01-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Hockeyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #49
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
A dash cam is a required piece of equipment IMO.
Precisely why I have one for incidents like this. Seriously, everyone should have one. <$100 for peace of mind knowing that some idiot is caught in HD 1080p doing something on camera.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #50
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Precisely why I have one for incidents like this. Seriously, everyone should have one. <$100 for peace of mind knowing that some idiot is caught in HD 1080p doing something on camera.
Since I've never looked into dash cams before, I have a couple questions:
- Do you need to get someone to install it and wire it directly into your car's electrical system?
- Does it automatically turn on when you turn the car on, and vice versa?
- Do you need to copy/remove the video off the memory card every day, or is it automated?
- Does it suffer in extreme cold or heat?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #51
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Since I've never looked into dash cams before, I have a couple questions:
- Do you need to get someone to install it and wire it directly into your car's electrical system?

Mine plugs directly into my cigarette lighter. Before I had my friend, who installs GPS units so he knows how to open up the dashboard, he had installed it behind the dash with a chord coming out of a hole he drilled. But since that chord is now broken, I just plug it into the cigarette lighter and it works fine.

- Does it automatically turn on when you turn the car on, and vice versa?

Yes, as soon as it detects power it turns on and off. I usually unplug it from the cigarette lighter when I leave the car, but as soon as I turn my car on and plug it back in, it turns on automatically. Even if you leave it plugged in when you leave, it will turn on by itself. I have never had to touch the power button at any point.

- Do you need to copy/remove the video off the memory card every day, or is it automated?

It is automated. I have mine set to record in 5 minute intervals on an 8 GB card. When it is full, it automatically records from the first file, and so on. However if it detects a bump/sudden movement, it automatically saves that file to a separate folder and a little icon flashes on the dashcam's screen which tells me I have something to review. Usually it is something like hitting the brakes or a big bump. But if a collision occurs, it will save that file to the separate folder. This separate folder does not get overwritten.

- Does it suffer in extreme cold or heat?

I have never had any issue. It has survived every Calgary winter, including all the deep freezes this year. Never had any issue with temperature.
Answered your questions in bold. This is the unit I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent model and if I ever need to buy another one, this is the one I would get. Very discreet and excellent quality. Highly recommend it.

I'm always pretty vocal in every dashcam thread on CP about how important it is to get one. Often times when something does happen, it's a case of he said/she said. But in clear HD video, the truth comes out. We all want cops to wear bodycams so there is no grey area if something occurs. Driving should be the same.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-19-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #52
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
Not that it should matter but he was caucasian

Let me guess, was he driving a BMW or an Audi?
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the past I've had multiple incidents where I got out of car when confronted but it's never led to violence. I look back now and feel that it's immature and not much good can come out of the behavior so I try to stay cool and haven't had an incident for maybe a decade now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #54
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man some people are aggressive psychos in the car. I don't mean just with aggressive lane changes, but with human interaction like that. Catching up to someone who did something minor and just exploding on them, it's so crazy and over the top.

I've chilled out a lot in the car the past couple years. The rare times something happens to me like that, where dude catches up to you and then screams at you and makes wild hand gestures, I just point at them and start killing myself laughing. It's such a comically over the top reaction that it cracks me up...mind you, if we're at a complete stop and they got out of their car, that's a whole other situation. You handled it well.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #55
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Can you make out plate numbers with that one? Most of the videos I see online it is very hard to tell.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #56
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestand View Post
Let me guess, was he driving a BMW or an Audi?
This is the Dodge Ram of the far west part of Calgary I live in. Especially Audi lately, I've noticed that a lot
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #57
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you handled it pretty well bluck, doesn't sound like you did anything wrong so no sense confronting someone that you have no idea what could really set them off if a very minor traffic incident set them off this way. Some men have small penis's and this is how they react to it.

I have only ever had one minor road rage incident where my buddy accidentally cut someone off, he was totally at fault and wasn't paying attention but there was no contact or any danger as we were only going 50 if that. He put his hand out to wave sorry. The other driver did the usual speed up and cut us off, he passed us on a single lane road, my buddy backed off and let the guy go. But he circled around a a traffic circle (north edmonton) and came up behind us again and again passed us on the single street. At this point he stops short and him and the passenger get out and bang on the car. So my friend Mark and I get out along with the two guys in the back and the 4 of us probably combine to weigh in around 1200lbs so these two dudes balls pull up into there stomachs and scramble back to their car as fast as they can. Might have been fun to see what an O-line for a football team would have done to those dummies.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #58
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What they never showed on Cheers was that Norm was probably a mean and bitter drunk.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #59
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I had a driver follow me home after I we had a minor exchange on the road. Once I realized what he was doing I decided he needed some time to cool off.

The road that goes by my house is a literal circle. So after the 3rd time around he finally got fed up, pulled up next to me (we had to stop for a driver pulling out of their driveway) did the give me the finger shouting routine (which my response was a slow clap with head shake) then drove off.

If he had kept circling with me I would have phoned the police, at no point was I going to let him know where I lived.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #60
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

People should have to be hooked up to some kind of adrenaline sensor when they drive. When your levels hit the red line, the gas is cut and you have to pull over until you calm the f down.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote