Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #521
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
They've had every type of coach other than a "prestige" coach. I don't think it bodes well when your team can only have a modicum of success with 1% of the coaches available. Plus, this team has looked lifeless for a decade... was *every* coach we've hired been uniformly outcoached by all of his peers?

Arguably the exception was when they made the playoffs under Hartley. Few of us had a problem with the effort. We've learned that team was mostly effort / some luck / little structure, and that Hartley's methods to get that effort took a toll. Fine, you get rid of Hartley, treat the players as adults and ask them to deliver the effort minus the beatings. Now they have structure (from my view), but have relaxed on the effort once again.

I'm not discounting the impact that an elite coach may have. I'm just worried that we'll hire one and nothing will change.
Unfortunately for teams like the Flames and Oilers if you look at the past few decades the playoffs on a consistent basis feature teams coached by "prestige" coaches. What did it take to turn around the young guns drought? A prestige coach in Darryl Sutter. When the Canucks had their run who was coaching? Prestige coach. Go ahead and list perennial playoff teams that didn't feature a better than average head coach. It is what it is as if you don't have a team loaded with elite talent you better make sure you have an elite head coach or you get the Flames, Jets, Avalanche, Panthers, etc.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-20-2017 at 06:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #522
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Unfortunately for teams like the Flames and Oilers if you look at the past few decades the playoffs on a consistent basis feature teams coached by "prestige" coaches. What did it take to turn around the young guns drought? A prestige coach in Darryl Sutter. When the Canucks had their run who was coaching? Prestige coach. Go ahead and list perennial playoff teams that didn't feature a better than average head coach. It is what it is as if you don't have a team loaded with elite talent you better make sure you have an elite head coach or you get the Flames, Jets, Avalanche, Panthers, etc.
I agree. I think jets or panthers grab Julien if he gets fired.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #523
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I agree. I think jets or panthers grab Julien if he gets fired.
Maybe the Jets? IMO with a quality head coach that team could break out.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #524
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's who I hope are Flames trade targets:

-- Laughton
-- Strome
-- Eberle
-- Duclair
Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #525
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our of those 4, I think Strome makes the most sense. His 2 year, 5 million dollar deal is very manageable.

But he'd likely cost more than Laughton or Duclair.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #526
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I would give up almost any prospect and a 2nd for Strome.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #527
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

-- Laughton
-- Strome
-- Eberle
-- Duclair
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to playmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #528
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

-- Laughton
-- Strome
-- Eberle
-- Duclair
Laughton is pretty much a 4th liner at the NHL level, I don't see him developing above that. I wouldn't be mad if we acquired him I just don't see the point.

Eberle is a no. Just so many reasons why this is bad idea. Salary, lack of effort, incredibly soft.

Duclair is a speedy 3rd liner, he doesn't have enough offense to be a regular top 6 guy. If the cost comes down I would be interested as is I don't see the fit.

Strome is the only one that really makes sense, depending on cost. At this point I see him as a reclamation project, as such I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for him.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #529
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yeah, I would give up almost any prospect and a 2nd for Strome.
I wouldn't. I like Strome but for me Parsons, Kylington, Jankowski, and Andersson are off the table. Anyone else plus a 2nd is a go for me.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #530
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I wouldn't. I like Strome but for me Parsons, Kylington, Jankowski, and Andersson are off the table. Anyone else plus a 2nd is a go for me.
I would do Parson or Andersson, but I agree that Janko and Kylington would probably be my only two prospects I would take off the table.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #531
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

-- Laughton
-- Strome
-- Eberle
-- Duclair
They should also be looking at some of the Wild's wingers in the off season. Coyle , Tucker, Neideritier. Can't imagine Minny can keep them all.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #532
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I would do Parson or Andersson, but I agree that Janko and Kylington would probably be my only two prospects I would take off the table.
No chance in hell I trade Parsons. I would trade any other prospect before him actually as I think he is our best prospect. I wouldn't do Andersson either, despite some fitness concerns this guy has put up good numbers at every level he has played.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #533
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look at it as a player that has looked good in the NHL, versus a player who looks like a great prospect, but may never even see the NHL.
I think, especially in the case of Andersson, we have other good defensive prospects that can fill what he might have brought to the team.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #534
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Difficult to assess as coaches get prestige from the team success, similar to the argument for goalies getting prestige due to player success. Dan Blysma is one coach that stands out in my mind as somebody with tremendous NHL success, but makes many questionable decisions and is far from am elite coach in my books. Claude Julien could also be in that boat.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #535
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way would I trade Andersson or Kylington, this team needs one of them to become a top 6 Dman in the near future and I would rather bank on both of them then rolling the dice on one. If Strome can't be traded for some picks (2nd round max) and maybe an average prospect (Porier or Klimchuk) I would not touch him. His prodcution is another Chiasson right now and has been a major disappointment while being given many oppurtunties the past 2 years to do well. He wasn't even good in the AHL when he got sent down last year. Whatever the Isles want is probably way too much and Tre won't do it because he isn't stupid.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-21-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #536
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Another minor league deal...

Chicago Blackhawks @NHLBlackhawks
#Blackhawks acquire forward Michael Latta from the LA Kings in exchange for defenseman Cameron Schilling. Latta will report to the IceHogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #537
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Blackhawks have reportedly kicked tires on Nyquist and Tatar:

Mark Lazerus ✔ @MarkLazerus
Take every name you hear this time of year with a grain of salt, but I'm told #Blackhawks have at least sniffed around Nyquist and Tatar.

Tatar makes more sense financially (and he's a pending UFA), but Nyquist might be more expendable to Detroit. Wings maybe looking for D-man.

Again a LOT of calls get made this time of year. Most talks never progress very far. But two sources have told me those calls have been made
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #538
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Blackhawks have reportedly kicked tires on Nyquist and Tatar:

Take every name you hear this time of year with a grain of salt, but I'm told #Blackhawks have at least sniffed around Nyquist and Tatar.

Tatar makes more sense financially (and he's a pending UFA), but Nyquist might be more expendable to Detroit. Wings maybe looking for D-man.

Again a LOT of calls get made this time of year. Most talks never progress very far. But two sources have told me those calls have been made
Others floated in 'Hawk rumors, Sharp, Vanek, Landeskog, Duchesne, Versteeg (again), Frolik...LW is a high priority need, and a young D-man would be expendable, Pokka or Forsling, most likely, and to the right destination, Seabrook's waiving of his NMC has been rumored to be a possibility, however remote.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #539
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund 3 way trade lolz
Blues: Hamilton
Bruins: Shattenkirk
Flames: 1st, and major prospect

Eklund throwing crap at the wall not letting the bogus Hamilton rumors die.

Also the Flames are in on Deharnais
Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #540
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Detroit media suggesting / speculating Mrazek may be available come the Trade deadline.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...azek/96882110/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread