Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #21
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Shh... let the renters keep renting, my suite needs to stay filled
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also have to add the realtor fees and legal expenses when you sell. It's only a couple points now but I won't be surprised if we have land transfer taxes to consider someday which is a massive issue in Toronto. Add a small reno, legal and real estate fees and suddenly you're underwater by even more than your 5-10% down payment.

It's timing, timing, timing, more than anything. If you're in for less than 5 years you need to rent. 10 years is probably a draw. Longer than that I might buy. But even more so, timing the market is the key. If this is the start of an upswing you should buy. Renting during a down turn is prudent. If you want to live in a condo just rent one. People are starting to realize nothing can make the headache and risk of a condo board worthwhile.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-tax-1.3916070

Quote:
June Donaldson, an advocate for condo owners in Calgary, says condo boards and property management companies have the power to raise fees and can justify the decision however they see fit. "Most condo owners have no idea how vulnerable they are," she said.
"It's wide open for condo boards and for condo managers to raise fees as much as they want, when they want, and how they want."

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 01-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #23
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

OP - I think your timing is good. If you see places that you're interested in, might be a good time to kick the tires a bit harder. You might find sellers that are ready to deal.

And as Troutman says above - certain neighborhoods are going to hold value better than others.
automaton 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What neighbourhoods do people think hold value right now?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #25
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Obviously anything inner city. Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Airdrie.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #26
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Location, location, location.

In some communities home values have stayed level.

Usually the market heats up in the Spring, but we are in unusual circumstances.
The above is key.

Whenever I have purchased property, I looked for that inner voice that said to me, "I want this property". If that happens to you, then when it comes time to sell it, there is a high probability it will happen to others.

I would look at land values...especially inner core. In some cases, the land is worth just slightly less than the house plus land. So in effect you are getting the property at a huge discount to replacement value.

IMO in the long run, you have to be in real property to offset inflation, and create wealth.

However, have said all that, Timing is everything, and waiting, until you can afford the risk, may be the right thing to do.

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-04-2017 at 12:00 PM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #27
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The seller pays the realtor commissions. Lawyer fees are usually less than $1000 plus disbursements.
Right, that's what I'm saying. When you buy, make sure you're going to own it long enough that the agent and lawyer fees don't eat up your principal when you eventually go to sell. This is especially true for lower priced homes and condos where the 7% on the first $100K means that the agent's take on the home is higher on a % basis than it is for a higher value home (e.g. assuming the 7%/3% rule, $200K = 5% and $1M = 3.7%).

For context, at 30 years and 5% interest it takes about 3.5 years to pay off 5% of the principal. At 25 years and 3% interest it takes about 2 years.

That's why I say if you're going to buy you better be sure you're going to live there for at least 5 years based on agent fees alone.

Last edited by Frequitude; 01-04-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
The above is key.

Whenever I have purchased property, I looked for that inner voice that said to me, "I want this property". If that happens to you, then when it comes time to sell it, there is a high probability it will happen to others.

I would look at land values...especially inner core. In some cases, the land is worth just slightly less than the house plus land. So in effect you are getting the property at a huge discount to replacement value.

IMO in the long run, you have to be in real property to offset inflation, and create wealth.

However, have said all that, Timing is everything, and waiting, until you can afford the risk, may be the right thing to do.

While this is all true, I don't view my primary residence as an investment. I found the house I like, close to my workplace and in a desirable neighborhood in my personal opinion, and not necessarily in the opinion of real estate gurus. When I moved back to Calgary, I chose to live in the suburbs because it works for me.

If I happen to move away in 10 or 15 years and make money off the place, then great. But my top priority was finding a house with the right floor plan that I enjoyed and in an area that worked for me. Everything else be damned.

As an aside though, I'm annoyed how small "double" garages are in Calgary suburbs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #29
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
People are starting to realize nothing can make the headache and risk of a condo board worthwhile.
Other than, you know, serving on the board yourself. It's much easier to complain than to take any responsibility.

I'd never own a condo again because I *was* on the board of mine, so I suppose either way you're hooped. It certainly gives you perspective on how people are almost uniformly clueless, and live in their own little sheltered realities.

Condo fees are a great example, you'd get the people vociferously complaining about them and accusing the board of being too lazy to figure out how to save money, as if the board didn't have to pay those exact same fees, and also put in their own time besides for the budgeting.

Moral of the story: never buy a condo. Plus, people suck.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #30
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think, for most people, purchasing a house is the biggest investment they will ever make.

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-04-2017 at 01:04 PM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

My realtor says it is a great time to buy

Edit: Should add, also says its a great time to sell.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It could be the apocalypse and a realtor would say it's a great time to buy.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #33
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think for most people, purchasing a house is the biggest investment they will ever make.
Really going out on a limb with that take.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Last month we saw some homes in NW communities like Tuscany sell quickly with multiple offers, and realizing close to or above list price.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #35
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It's timing, timing, timing, more than anything. If you're in for less than 5 years you need to rent. 10 years is probably a draw. Longer than that I might buy. But even more so, timing the market is the key. If this is the start of an upswing you should buy. Renting during a down turn is prudent. If you want to live in a condo just rent one. People are starting to realize nothing can make the headache and risk of a condo board worthwhile.
If you can accurately predict upswings and downturns, you should be leveraging everything you have and putting it into the stock market. Forget properties.

Buy low, sell high. Excellent advice.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #36
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think for most people, purchasing a house is the biggest investment they will ever make.
That's just an old cliche. When I talk about investing, I mean buying a rental property or a property that I plan on flipping and selling, stocks, bonds and mutual funds. I don't consider my home I live in as an investment because you HAVE to live somewhere.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #37
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last month we saw some homes in NW communities like Tuscany sell quickly with multiple offers, and realizing close to or above list price.
In early November we sold our townhouse in McKenzie Towne in 48 hours with multiple interested parties and got within $5k of ask. It's all about the product and location.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #38
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
If you can accurately predict upswings and downturns, you should be leveraging everything you have and putting it into the stock market. Forget properties.

Buy low, sell high. Excellent advice.
I'll show you exactly how to find market beating trends in the stock market if you want. But that's a different topic than real estate and it's more fun to just call bs. However there's no reason you can't look at the balance of economic probabilities and come up with what you think is the most likely direction for the real estate market. I had no idea real estate was so hot in 2005. I just bought a couple places because everyone else was. Looking back on it, the coming boom was painfully obvious. But I did know for sure I wanted out in 2014...actually 2011 but it took until '14 to get out. I think we will muddle along for a very long time or until policy makes it too difficult to buy/sell and we revert back to the cost of the wood plus the cost of government.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #39
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, the allure of owning a home over renting is that one day, that mortgage payment goes away, which means my biggest bill twice a month is no longer around, opening up a massive financial freedom.

If you've found the house / neighbourhood you want to live in and don't plan on moving for a long time (ie. 10+ years), I don't know how much it matters when you buy. The same option might not be there if you wait.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #40
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I personally think it would be worth waiting to see the effects of the new mortgage rules and the carbon tax on the housing market before making the biggest purchase of your life. However, I also think these new factors will exert most pressure on the higher end of the market. I would think if you're looking at the lower to middle range, say, around the benchmark price of $400k and below, it probably is ok to buy now.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post: