Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #81
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just give my 2 cents - Bishop Carroll back in my day (graduated 1998 from St. Mary's) was the number 1 choice for most of my friends in junior high. Again, things could've changed and evolved since then but my view of that high school is not favorable.

To give you a sample of the success rate from that school -> 2 required grade 13 to finish high school, 3 did not make it into university, 1 took 7 years to get his civil engineering degree, 1 did 2 bachelor's degrees but at least he finished high school on time. None ended up in any professional careers. You have to remember, these were all kids who were on the honour roll in junior high (i hung out with nerds lol)

Unfortunately, my view of that school is tainted - i feel that it takes a special person at that age to be able to self-motivate and be successful. Apparently there were kids/geniuses that finished school in 2 years - but for the many kids - the temptation to skip classes becomes a little too great.

I think the wisest decision I ever did was not to go to Bishop Carroll, because otherwise I would not be in the position that I am today.

For parents, the question is do you trust your child to self motivate at that age and also evaluate the motivations and tendencies of the friends that are going to go to the same school.

This is a huge decision - and to this day some of my friends have concluded that going there was the biggest mistake in their life.
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theg69 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #82
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I went to Central Memorial, but I have fond memories of Bishop Carroll.

Memories of the girls at least... They were always available (since they never seemed to attend class) and they let me do things the uptight girls in French immersion at Central wouldn't let me do.

My kids will not be attending Bishop Carroll though.

I suppose it might be useful for people that can't handle a fully structured environment, but given that life after high school follows a fully structured environment, I don't think it would do them any favours to hide them away from that during the easy high school years only to dump an ice cold bucket of reality on them when they hit university.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #83
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

4 LYFE

(In all seriousness great school and location)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #84
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Be sure to do your research regarding AP and it counting for university courses. The majority of universities do not accept it as direct credit anymore. To even be considered you usually have to score 4.5-5 out of 5 on an incredibly hard exam. The AP route, in my humble opinion, is more about a keen interest than any benefit for post-secondary.

Last edited by WinnipegFan; 01-20-2017 at 02:54 PM.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #85
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

In general the common consensus I've found between those who took on a full IB diploma and those in partial IB was that the overall benefit is the experience, work ethic and I dare say, character building, you get from having to try and achieve what almost amounts to a intangible benefit.

There's definitely a bit of a chicken and egg argument regarding those who already have strong study skills and work ethic would succeed in the program in the first place, and how it tries to help build a little of that independent learning required for post secondary.

In having talked and joked with those from the different areas of the spectrum in my graduating class 7 years ago, cherish the masochistic experience but some admit to wishing they were only in partial because the reward isn't worth the effort for majority of people.

My opinion is that this is a program that would be best for those academically driven, goal oriented students who have a clear passion they are working towards. To get junior course credit in university for generic courses of English and various sciences might be worthwhile financially but I think for the majority of people, that easing in process of not being overwhelmed by large class institutions and having an opportunity to continue to discover yourself and your career/passion is more realistic and important after high school graduation.

Plus when you're struggling in 300 level courses when you realize it's not really your interest and no longer can rely on your high school transcript to transfer into other programs, forcing you to take recovery courses for grades, can be difficult to experience.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #86
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not one mention of Lester B Pearson in this thread? I went there and I turned out TV.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #87
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg69 View Post
Just give my 2 cents - Bishop Carroll back in my day (graduated 1998 from St. Mary's) was the number 1 choice for most of my friends in junior high. Again, things could've changed and evolved since then but my view of that high school is not favorable.

To give you a sample of the success rate from that school -> 2 required grade 13 to finish high school, 3 did not make it into university, 1 took 7 years to get his civil engineering degree, 1 did 2 bachelor's degrees but at least he finished high school on time. None ended up in any professional careers. You have to remember, these were all kids who were on the honour roll in junior high (i hung out with nerds lol)

Unfortunately, my view of that school is tainted - i feel that it takes a special person at that age to be able to self-motivate and be successful. Apparently there were kids/geniuses that finished school in 2 years - but for the many kids - the temptation to skip classes becomes a little too great.

I think the wisest decision I ever did was not to go to Bishop Carroll, because otherwise I would not be in the position that I am today.

For parents, the question is do you trust your child to self motivate at that age and also evaluate the motivations and tendencies of the friends that are going to go to the same school.

This is a huge decision - and to this day some of my friends have concluded that going there was the biggest mistake in their life.
I have heard a couple of second-hand stories like this, but when I check the stats for Bishop Carroll on provincial exam scores, graduation rates, time to complete diploma, etc., Bishop Carroll does quite well. (Excellent, in fact.) St. Mary's is one of our other options, I don't know what it was like when you went there, but these days it does not look so good. So, it's either Ernest or Carroll for our son.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #88
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I have heard a couple of second-hand stories like this, but when I check the stats for Bishop Carroll on provincial exam scores, graduation rates, time to complete diploma, etc., Bishop Carroll does quite well. (Excellent, in fact.) St. Mary's is one of our other options, I don't know what it was like when you went there, but these days it does not look so good. So, it's either Ernest or Carroll for our son.
If you switch out of Carrol after a year starting how is that calculated in the stats. I would suspect that most kids underperforming at carrol are moved to other schools to try to fix it rather than continuing to struggle at carol. So those who write the exams at carrol are successful at it
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #89
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any recent info on EP Scarlett, Western, and Beaverbrook?
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #90
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

Memories of the girls at least... They were always available (since they never seemed to attend class) and they let me do things the uptight girls in French immersion at Central wouldn't let me do.

My kids will not be attending Bishop Carroll though.

I suppose it might be useful for people that can't handle a fully structured environment, but given that life after high school follows a fully structured environment, I don't think it would do them any favours to hide them away from that during the easy high school years only to dump an ice cold bucket of reality on them when they hit university.
Went up chair lift with a father/daughter combo the other day. The daughter said she goes to Carroll......the dad then piped in and said if he went to Carroll he still be in Grade 10 lol.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kootenayguy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #91
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you switch out of Carrol after a year starting how is that calculated in the stats. I would suspect that most kids underperforming at carrol are moved to other schools to try to fix it rather than continuing to struggle at carol. So those who write the exams at carrol are successful at it

Came in to post this. Those stats are misleading in the sense that students that would be successful, are still there. Those that can't do the program, leave. Same thing with some of the private schools, like Weber. If you aren't Weber material, they don't want you.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #92
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As near as I can tell, 'Weber material' is rich parents with delinquent, drug abusing children. Although my experience is limited so if might not reflect reality.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #93
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I went to Central; l'immersion française aussi.

I had lots of classes with guys in the hockey program, a bunch of them played Midget AAA and a few played in the AJHL. They seemed to have a healthy balance between hockey and school.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #94
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As near as I can tell, 'Weber material' is rich parents with delinquent, drug abusing children. Although my experience is limited so if might not reflect reality.
I'm sure there are drugs. However, all the kids (about a dozen) I know that have graduated from there are great young adults now. All schools have drugs.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #95
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went to the St Francis open-house last night.
For those considering this HS, the principal mentioned they will be starting major renovations this summer and through the following few years. Space will be cramped and messy, summer courses will be held at a different HS.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #96
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Send the kid to Forest Lawn.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #97
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I never understood the benefit of this - wouldn't you be better off taking the course in university, getting an A, and using it to boost your GPA?

I'd sure rather have an A in Math 251 than jumping straight into Math 253....
I took engineering, and having 1 less class than everyone else first semester was better for my GPA than getting an A in something I already knew. Worked out ok for me, obviously YMMV.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #98
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

at this point my son is 98% sure he is going to go to carroll.

the only thing that keeps central a consideration for him is their hockey program.

personally, I wonder if my son was ever to play quadrant hockey (which is highly unlikely until he is in grade 11 and even then it is a long shot) if it would be too much ice time in one season
Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #99
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Not one mention of Lester B Pearson in this thread? I went there and I turned out TV.
Pearson grad '96 here!

Directed Study Wednesdays were the best. Most Wednesdays, just show up, sit in the cafeteria with our books open all day long and visit. It probably wouldn't have worked so well if my group of friends weren't good students.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #100
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Pearson grad '96 here!

Directed Study Wednesdays were the best. Most Wednesdays, just show up, sit in the cafeteria with our books open all day long and visit. It probably wouldn't have worked so well if my group of friends weren't good students.
I went through high school without one single spare. And I never had Directed Study Wednesday, although I think an old gf who went to that school may have...

Anyway. Big regret of my student life was not having a spare.

If the school system is still the same in 12-15 years when my child is in HS, I will 10000% recommend spares. There is more to life (ie/ socializing, that is a very important part of school/life) than taking that one extra class to stay focused and on-topic.

I thought if I took a spare I'd be too bored, because I never did homework anyway so didn't need the time. Then in grade 11 I started skipping half my classes because I was bored in class itself. So if I had a spare where I could have gone for long lunches, played video games, talk to girls, etc then I might have been more focused in the classes I did attend.