Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default PlayStation VR

I know we already have a Virtual Reality Headset topic on this board, but I figured there was enough differentiation between the PSVR and its PC counterparts to start a new thread.

This can be a thread to discuss all announcements, opinions, reviews, suggestions and everything in between regarding the platform.

I am officially a PSVR owner, but have yet to open mine and get it set up. For now, I'm most looking forward to trying out Rush of Blood and Arkham VR. For future releases Farpoint and Dreams definitely have me excited about the platform.

So what are people impressions and thoughts of the system and its launch?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked one up on launch day and am really impressed with it overall. I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 7.

...but also as a PS4 Pro owner, I'm absolutely pissed the HDMI passthrough does not support HDR. That seems like such a silly oversight. Not that I care whether or not the VR game is being displayed in HDR on the display, but rather it'll force me to unhook from the PSVR to play a non-VR game in HDR.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Get Holoball.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I picked one up on launch day and am really impressed with it overall. I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 7.

...but also as a PS4 Pro owner, I'm absolutely pissed the HDMI passthrough does not support HDR. That seems like such a silly oversight. Not that I care whether or not the VR game is being displayed in HDR on the display, but rather it'll force me to unhook from the PSVR to play a non-VR game in HDR.

I didn't realize this. As a pro and 4K hdr tv owner this will be annoying. Not the end of the world, but annoying none the less.

I'm really hoping Resident Evil follows through on the "play the entire game in VR". Not sure if my nerves will be able to handle it though.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

PSVR is straight-up my favourite tech purchase ever. I feel like a 10 year old again. I've purchased way too many games and my thirst for them is unquenchable.

For anybody looking at games, Bound, Trackmania Turbo, and Holoball are all on sale right now on the PSN.

My current top 5:

- Windlands: Imagine it like a cartoony spiderman tech demo where you explore ancient cities suspended in the sky. Not for the queasy. If you're wondering why Arkham VR doesn't let you use the grappling hook, 5 minutes with Windlands will give you your answer.

- Headmaster: All you do is head soccer balls at targets, but the "just one more try" nature to it is addictive as hell and the levels get hilariously over-the-top with craziness.

- Batman Arkham VR: It's only an hour long, but it's one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever had.

- Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: A party game where the headset wearer has a time bomb and other people have a manual and must help him/her defuse the bomb. Had some friends over last weekend who admittedly hate video games and they didn't leave until 2am, and only because they had to.

- Tethered: I'm not really a fan of the real-time strategy genre, but it's amazing in VR. You're a god and you send little gremlin people to do your bidding. Collect resources and all the other RTS stuff... it's super cool.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any deals out there this week for PSVR?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
PSVR is straight-up my favourite tech purchase ever. I feel like a 10 year old again. I've purchased way too many games and my thirst for them is unquenchable.

For anybody looking at games, Bound, Trackmania Turbo, and Holoball are all on sale right now on the PSN.

My current top 5:

- Windlands: Imagine it like a cartoony spiderman tech demo where you explore ancient cities suspended in the sky. Not for the queasy. If you're wondering why Arkham VR doesn't let you use the grappling hook, 5 minutes with Windlands will give you your answer.

- Headmaster: All you do is head soccer balls at targets, but the "just one more try" nature to it is addictive as hell and the levels get hilariously over-the-top with craziness.

- Batman Arkham VR: It's only an hour long, but it's one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever had.

- Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: A party game where the headset wearer has a time bomb and other people have a manual and must help him/her defuse the bomb. Had some friends over last weekend who admittedly hate video games and they didn't leave until 2am, and only because they had to.

- Tethered: I'm not really a fan of the real-time strategy genre, but it's amazing in VR. You're a god and you send little gremlin people to do your bidding. Collect resources and all the other RTS stuff... it's super cool.

Quick question for you! I purchased trackmania when it was first released. Is there an updated VR version I need to purchase or will it be an option in the original game?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Love my PSVR. Top games for me are: Batman VR, Until Dawn: ROB, the Sony Playroom Platformer and Thumper. Heard good things about Eagle Flight....anyone try it?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Quick question for you! I purchased trackmania when it was first released. Is there an updated VR version I need to purchase or will it be an option in the original game?
The VR update for Trackmania is free! It's not "as VR" as many were hoping... it essentially puts the camera on the hood or slightly behind the car, and there's fewer tracks (20-30 I think). For a free update though, that's not bad.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #10
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still looking on trying to snag a VR bundle. It's so much more expensive to buy each component separately.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm still looking on trying to snag a VR bundle. It's so much more expensive to buy each component separately.
I'm not sure they're selling them anymore. Some people on Reddit that work in stores say they can't order them to sell anymore.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm not sure they're selling them anymore. Some people on Reddit that work in stores say they can't order them to sell anymore.
Really? That sucks. Why would Sony shoot themselves in the foot like that?
Old 11-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's a pretty terrible strategy imo if true. It's too bad they don't offer Playstation Worlds as a free game, rendering the price difference $50. That makes sense as a "hey you were an early adopter and made a preorder" bonus. As it stands though, the difference is $100 as VR Worlds is a game worth getting. Maybe they sold the launch bundle at a loss, but I'm pretty sure I heard they were selling the VR at a profit.

It's also really confusing for parents wanting to buy it as a Christmas gift. Sourcing out the different bits is a barrier to entry for sure.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So you need to buy the headset, a PS4, then separately get move controllers and camera?

Does the move controller and camera from PS3 work?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So you need to buy the headset, a PS4, then separately get move controllers and camera?

Does the move controller and camera from PS3 work?
its actually the ps3 move controllers, so yes. but the camera from ps3, no. need the ps4 camera.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A small note: The PlayStation Move controllers are not absolutely necessary for PSVR. Some games only support the DualShock 4 gamepad, some games can work with either the DS4 or Move controllers, some games only support the move controllers.

That said, if you are dropping $550 on the headset, you should probably just get the Move controllers as well. They are great for the immersive VR games where you can grab and throw things in the virtual world.

Another quick tip for those looking into getting the PSVR: Every PSVR comes with a demo disc with short demos of 15 games. This is a cool way to get an idea of some of the experiences available. Note that this is different from the PlayStation VR Worlds game which was part of the bundle. Also, there is a free downloadable set of 'party' mini-games called PlayRoom VR.

I just played a bit of Carnival Games VR (on sale till Monday for $13.49). Some silly mini-game fun. Probably won't play a ton of it, but for so cheap it was hard to pass up.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess I am going to wait to see if Sony bundles it again. Just can't justify spending that much to get everything separately. But who knows, maybe I'll cave lol.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #18
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What does it work out to seperately now?
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #19
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I actually do not use the move controls if I have the option. Much prefer the controller.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
What does it work out to seperately now?
Looks like about $750 for the headset, move controllers, camera and a game.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote