Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #161
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a huge win! Playoff style, physical opponent, tough game, hostile crowd, brutal whistle. Lowry leaves for stitches in the 3rd, comes back for 19 points in the fourth. Best win of the season, IMO. 53% shooting against one of the stingiest defenses in the league.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #162
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shooting 9/10 in the fourth never sucks. Even in all of our wildest dreams when he was acquired from Houston I don't think anyone could have seen him become this kind of player.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #163
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

With his triple-double tonight Westbrook now has 30 in 2016, joining Oscar Robertson as the only players with that many triple-doubles in a calendar year.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raps-Warriors tonight. We all remember the last trip to Oakland, so hopefully they can get a little justice tonight.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #165
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a good start. Down 16 halfway through one.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #166
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like this will be the Raps first blowout loss in a while. Down 42-17 to this point.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #167
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Worst quarter of basketball I've seen in probably a decade from the Raps.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #168
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

this might be their best quarter!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #169
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Much better second. Game back within reach.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 12-28-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #170
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoke too soon. Blew it at the end there.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #171
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Come on Ross. You have to have better shot selection than that. Just two garbage shots in a row to kill All the Momentum of that run.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #172
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't have the stats to prove it and this is just my observation and I could be wrong, but when the Raptors play legitimate contenders they seem to just murder the Raps in the paint and on the boards. If the Raps have any plans to legitimately take a run at a Championship this needs to be addressed. I've been a big JV fan, but this guy is lost out there when he faces high end competition. Might be time to use him in a package to finally get that piece the Raps have been missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #173
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I don't have the stats to prove it and this is just my observation and I could be wrong, but when the Raptors play legitimate contenders they seem to just murder the Raps in the paint and on the boards.
Rebounds, definitely. I don't think points in the paint was a huge issue against Cleveland... maybe in the first meeting but not the last two.

I love Siakam's effort, but the slow starts are becoming too much. I know the plan is to try and run with Siakam as a stop-gap until Sullinger is back, but with that still a month off, I think they need to switch things up.

At least we'll get a spark with Powell starting tomorrow night (although his second half was one of Carroll's better halves of the year).
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #174
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cousins is exactly what the Raps need in my Opinion. I think thy can bang with anyone with a presence like that in the paint.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #175
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Cousins a lot as a fit for the Raps, but I can't see the Raptors making a winning offer even if Sacramento wants to sell (which is unlikely when they're finally in a playoff race and can offer him one of those absurd new franchise-player contracts in the offseason).
Old 12-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #176
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I don't have the stats to prove it and this is just my observation and I could be wrong, but when the Raptors play legitimate contenders they seem to just murder the Raps in the paint and on the boards. If the Raps have any plans to legitimately take a run at a Championship this needs to be addressed. I've been a big JV fan, but this guy is lost out there when he faces high end competition. Might be time to use him in a package to finally get that piece the Raps have been missing.
JV has been sheltered for too long. His weaknesses are outweigh his strengths and he is always exposed against the contenders. He struggles against defending a big who can shoot and a big who can drive. He is simply neutralized to nothing against good fast teams.

His strength is setting screens for DeMar and Lowry. His post game is overrated, that's why you see Lowry and Casey avoiding post ups against longer bigger defenders. His shooting percentages will always be high, simply because he doesn't have to carry the Raptors, if they fed him every game he would struggle IMO. There's also a reason why Casey would rather have Bebe late in games over JV, and those reasons are on the defensive end.

For what it's worth I think JV is a decent centre at best, not an all star caliber centre and not elite in any way. He does well banging with the big centers, but also struggles scoring against them. A slow game is where he's at his best, but that's not ideal against the leagues fastest and best.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #177
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Raptors are playing 3 on 5 in too many games. At the PF position they are hating it offensively unless PPat is on that game. At center they either have no defense or no offense. Big man rotation just isn't good enough! I was hoping Sullinger IF he is ever healthy would help but I don't see it being enough even if he plays well. Still waiting on MU. About time you made your move Ujiri.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #178
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ross is being given a very long leash right now as well.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #179
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Raptors are playing 3 on 5 in too many games. At the PF position they are hating it offensively unless PPat is on that game. At center they either have no defense or no offense. Big man rotation just isn't good enough! I was hoping Sullinger IF he is ever healthy would help but I don't see it being enough even if he plays well. Still waiting on MU. About time you made your move Ujiri.
Come on man, we're 32 games into the season. Patience.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #180
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Ross is being given a very long leash right now as well.
Probably being showcased if anything. We all know the guy is inconsistent, and there's no way he's going to play his way onto any teams' starting 5, but given the potential (moreso his athleticism), some team will want him and may very well pay a premium. At least I'm hoping.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba