Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #621
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently he's said that win or lose, he doesn't talk to his players until the next day.
Quote:
"It's embarrassing. I don't talk to the guys after the game, win or lose. I talk to them the next day. Certainly the coaches' room, emotions are high, and it's embarrassing. Our resolve to stick to it wasn't there."
Wtf. Just a terrible "new age" coaching mentality that has this team playing completely flat and without emotion the last little while. Bad game? No response. Another bad game? Again, no response. It's becoming painfully obvious that systems or not, this team needs a coach that can make the paint peel when necessary in order to get this group to play properly, but it doesn't seem Glen is that type. We've looked October-bad for a while now and it's mostly because we aren't prepared to play.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #622
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

As a coach, has he even won any championship? I googled but couldn't find anything.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #623
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team has felt "meh" all year. There is no identity and we got back in the race with solid goaltending (that looks shakey right now) and unsustainable special teams. The emergence of the 3M line has also been key to not being completely out of it. Our top players (Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Brodie) are having poor statistical seasons and don't look good out there with the exception of the odd game here or there.

There are games the Flames look good and score and there are games where it looks like they could t buy a goal.

I have been skeptical about Gulutzan since he was hired and he has done little to make me believe this was a good hire.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #624
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

A good coach can get guys to play to their strengths within his system. He doesn't seem to abide by this theory. I mean c'mon, the whole frickin city can see that forcing Brodie onto the left side is wreakin havoc on his game and confidence. Gulutzan refuses to make a change.

I'd bet my life that if you went back to the game when Gulutzan put Wideman with Brodie and instead put Kulak/Jokkipakka on the left and Brodie on the right we'd have 2-4 more wins. Maybe more?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #625
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players respond to emotion, not vapidness. NHL hockey is a game where you need to care to win, because it's often about who wants it most. Glen is clearly not making them hungry enough.

A seriously needed 2 points, a division rival with a bit of a payback storyline, a chance to atone for the previously played stinker.... and they come out flat. They have nothing. Absolutely dick all.

You can be the smartest coach in the game but if you can't motivate your players, it's like being stuck in first gear all the time.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #626
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The flames are better than last season by basically every statistical measurement and people are whining in this thread like he has taken a cup finalist and torn them apart.

Guess what? This team freaking sucks and you should have known that before the season started because last year they were freaking sucky too.

This team is STILL dealing with Feaster blunders that are more responsible for the lack of success on the roster than anything else. The flames can't score so they can't win, they can't score because they don't have the offensive weapons, they don't have the offensive weapons because they didn't draft any, couldn't trade for any and don't have the cap space to sign any because they are paying Dennis Wideman the same amount of money the Hawks are paying Panarin.

You put a middling defender on this team in Wideman place and you put abonafide top line winger on the roster and they are firmly in a playoff position.

Where is the offense that you goofs thought the flames would generate? Idiots who think ferland is the second coming of probert?

Give me a break. Sucky team is sucky, news at 11.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #627
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Players respond to emotion, not vapidness. NHL hockey is a game where you need to care to win, because it's often about who wants it most. Glen is clearly not making them hungry enough.

A seriously needed 2 points, a division rival with a bit of a payback storyline, a chance to atone for the previously played stinker.... and they come out flat. They have nothing. Absolutely dick all.

You can be the smartest coach in the game but if you can't motivate your players, it's like being stuck in first gear all the time.
Sorry that's on the players last night. There is a lot I'm not liking about GG, but I really can't blame him for the players coming out flat last night. The players shouldn't need any motivation going into the game against the oilers at all.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #628
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
Sorry that's on the players last night. There is a lot I'm not liking about GG, but I really can't blame him for the players coming out flat last night. The players shouldn't need any motivation going into the game against the oilers at all.
People in every walk of life need motivation. That's why positions like coaches or managers exist.

Also this is still a pretty young team with a captain who is not really a commanding presence. There needs to be leadership coming from somewhere, and it should be from behind the bench.

The coach has to do more than draw x's and o's on a whiteboard. Whether he likes it or not Gulutzan has to find out what make the players tick. Hockey is a game of passion, and that's missing.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #629
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Apparently he's said that win or lose, he doesn't talk to his players until the next day.

Wtf. Just a terrible "new age" coaching mentality that has this team playing completely flat and without emotion the last little while. Bad game? No response. Another bad game? Again, no response. It's becoming painfully obvious that systems or not, this team needs a coach that can make the paint peel when necessary in order to get this group to play properly, but it doesn't seem Glen is that type. We've looked October-bad for a while now and it's mostly because we aren't prepared to play.
Wow that's just brutal. He has nothing to say to the team after they win or lose?? Did the players tell him to stay out of the room after game 1? Talk about having no handle on the room.

I remember a post a while ago when someone here sat behind the bench during the CBJ game. He mentioned that Torts and his staff were engaged with his players. Going up and down the bench, talking to them, leaning over and discussing things.

Meanwhile Gulutzan on our bench was quiet as a mouse. No talking. Just let the team do their thing, had nothing to say. Now to find out he literally avoids the dressing room after each game??
Spoiler!

I've been a big supporter of GG since he was hired. I liked it and was annoyed when some people were throwing him under the bus after the horrid start. Well here we are after a pretty good sample size and it's clear to me that he's not the right guy. I'll be shocked if he isn't let go after this season is done. Even though the team is (barely) in a playoff spot, and likely not for long, it's clear the team isn't ready to play most nights. Credit to the Oilers for their wins, but that's unacceptable around these parts. Last night's loss was just putrid and I'd love to be a fly in Burke's TV room after watching that.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-22-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #630
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The flames are better than last season by basically every statistical measurement and people are whining in this thread like he has taken a cup finalist and torn them apart.

Guess what? This team freaking sucks and you should have known that before the season started because last year they were freaking sucky too.

This team is STILL dealing with Feaster blunders that are more responsible for the lack of success on the roster than anything else. The flames can't score so they can't win, they can't score because they don't have the offensive weapons, they don't have the offensive weapons because they didn't draft any, couldn't trade for any and don't have the cap space to sign any because they are paying Dennis Wideman the same amount of money the Hawks are paying Panarin.

You put a middling defender on this team in Wideman place and you put abonafide top line winger on the roster and they are firmly in a playoff position.

Where is the offense that you goofs thought the flames would generate? Idiots who think ferland is the second coming of probert?

I seem to recall plenty of fans thinking this was a playoff team last season if they had even average goaltending. Sorry but deflecting blame on a GM that hasn't been employed by the team since 2013 is lame and desperate. We all agree that this team is still a few players away but this roster doesn't suck. The way they are playing sucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #631
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not necessarily.

Gulutzan's system has improved the overall team play defensively, I think we all can agree on that.

But in the offensive zone, he has them on the perimeter, doing a lot of cycling. That is something Backlund's line is pretty good at, but for Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett, they can't play that way. Gaudreau looks really, really frustrated to me - like he hates what's going on.

Also, the Flames have some pretty talented defensemen that can contribute, but this system is not allowing that.

I don't think it's a bad system, but I do think it is the wrong system for this team.
Bingo. Part of me feels Gaudreau needs so suck it up but part of me thinks that the head coach's job is to put his best players in a position to succeed and it's just not happening (he's also done the same with Brodie for that matter). It does look like Gaudreau isn't a happy camper for sure and it's affecting his game. This team isn't going to be improved unless he and the coach get on the same page.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #632
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've said my piece.

i'll wait until the end of the year. If he makes the playoffs, i'll admit i was mistaken.

If he misses the playoffs, i'll be looking for changes in the off ice personnel of the organization.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #633
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an ok system, but it doesn't make nearly enough use of the strongest asset this team has. The Flames have 3 defensemen that can be as dynamic as anyone (non Karlsson ofc) in the league, and GG has them playing shutdown no risks allowed hockey. Everyone is rightfully whining that Chiasson is useless, and yet the reason JG has to pass to him is that the defensemen are always nowhere near the play. You have to give JG options when he enters the zone and the system doesn't do neatly a good enough job of that. The system is not coaching to the strengths of the supposed best players. One size does not fit all.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #634
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan has done nothing to have earned another year with the Flames.
I hope the players give him the worst exit interviews after this crap season is done.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #635
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Gulutzan has done nothing to have earned another year with the Flames.
I hope the players give him the worst exit interviews after this crap season is done.
No matter what happens i hope the players do whats best for the team going forward
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #636
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Treliving and Gully are both gone at the end of the season.

New GM brings in his own guy. Book it.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #637
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Treliving and Gully are both gone at the end of the season.

New GM brings in his own guy. Book it.
If this doesn't come true, what do we get?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #638
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Yes! Let's have another overhaul in management and continue the cycle of suck.
How about some consistency.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #639
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Summed up my thoughts exactly.

It's amazing people want to blame the coach as if Hartley did anything better.

Hey everyone, remember our only way of exiting the zone was a stretch pass? And teams quickly figured it out and we couldn't leave our own zone without icing it? Member Colborne getting 18 minutes a night and looking like an absolute train wreck in his own zone?

Gulutzan might not be a great motivator but if these guys who get a pay cheque every two weeks in the hundreds of thousands need motivating then we are paying the wrong players. The wrong players have the letters and definitely the wrong player has the C.

We laid an egg against Nashville, one of our biggest playoff rivals this year and not a single leader showed up to optional practice next day. I've made my point on that already but is it any wonder we came out flat against the Oilers? We sure could have used that extra practice time. It's one thing to not show up after a good hard fought effort but no Flame should have been tired after that game.

And Gulutzan isn't perfect, playing Gaudreau with Chiasson is baffling. But Chiasson isn't playing bad at all. Chiasson isn't the one giving the puck away and he's certainly giving his 100% effort out there which can't be said for other players. He is doing his job. Even though I think he should be away from our skilled players, the skilled players need to make him better not the other way around. even if your line mates aren't very skilled or good, the effort should always be there and that's not on the coach.

His system is the best we've had since the Darryl days and it will be too bad if the players don't buy in and get another coach fired. When they've bought in we look like a strong defensive team.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #640
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You folks forgetting about the Don Mahoney hire. Pretty sure he will be taking over GM or President of hockey operations if ownership decides to fire Burke or Treliving.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote