Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc... > Olympics
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:
Default Looking toward 2020, and beyond

Well we're closing the door on what was a successful games for Canada in many ways. Looking forward to 2020 we have a lot to be excited about. The obvious standouts in high profile events from these games are Penny Oleksiak and Andre De Grasse.

Oleksiak will be 20 when the games are held in Tokyo, with four complete years of full time training and preparation she has the potential to be an incredibly successful athlete for our country when she attempts to improve on her medal collection, and Olympic Record she has already set. It's important to remember the lesson taught to the world by Missy Franklin, and to temper the expectations for teenage athletes. But Oleksiak seems like a special competitor, who loves her sport and doesn't have to make a decision regarding swimming in the NCAA for another two years, so she should be able to remain focused on training and preparing for 2020. The FINA World Championships take place in Budapest next July, and will hopefully be an opportunity for us to see Oleksiak compete again.

Andre De Grasse proved to the world what Canadians have known since the 2015 NCAA Championship, he is not to be underestimated. At 21 years old De Grasse broke Canadian records, stood on the podium, and captivated the imagine of our nation with the thought of being able to relive the glory of Donovan Bailey's run in 1996. As long as De Grasse can stay healthy, there's no reason we shouldn't see him on the podium again in 2020.

But outside of De Grasse and Oleksiak there are plenty of other young Canadian athletes who will be aiming to be on the podium in Tokyo. Defending gold medalists Erica Wiebe and Derek Drouin will be 31 and 30 respectively, not out of the realm of possibility for both of them to in a position to successfully defend their titles in their sports.

Taylor Ruck managed to win two bronze medals competing in the relays with our successful Women's Swimming Team, at the age of 16. 18 year old Emily Overholt won a bronze medal in the 4x200m Freestyle Relay, and she made the Final of the 400m Individual Medley finishing fifth. Chantal Van Landeghem won a bronze as a part of the 4x100m Freestyle at the age of 22. Santo Condorelli, who finished 4th in the Men's 100m Freestyle Final will be 26 in Tokyo. 18 year old Javier Acevedo, who didn't make it past the heats, finished with the fastest time in the 100m backstroke of any junior aged competitor in Rio.

22 year old Shawn Barber had a disappointing Olympics, but the 2015 World Champion in Pole Vault should be back for 2020. 23 year old Dori Yeats lost in a bronze medal match of the Women's 69kg Freestyle Wrestling, and she stated after the match "I'm just getting started".

Brooke Henderson will be 22 when the games head to Tokyo, with four more years of LPGA experience. As for tennis, it's hard to predict what the sport will look like in four years. But with missing our greatest men's singles player this year, and having incredibly high potential junior players now Canada should be a threat for medals in 2020. The Women's Basketball Team didn't perform to the level they feel capable of, and will be better in Tokyo. In Tokyo the Men's Team should also qualify, with a handful of young, high level players in the NBA.

CANWNT have now won Bronze in the past two Olympiads, but with young players like Buchanan (20), Lawrence (21), Fleming (18), Beckie (21), Rose (17) there is no reason to think that they won't continue improving heading toward Tokyo.

Thanks everyone for enjoying these Olympics here. Was a lot of fun sharing the joys and pains of sport with everyone here, and enjoyed the support shown to our amateur athletes! There's plenty of other things to look forward to in Tokyo that aren't listed here, lots of incredibly talented athletes in this country that will introduce themselves to the nation in the coming years. Hopefully these games will have created more support and enthusiasm for amateur sport in this country, and hopefully these games have inspired some young people to try a sport they normally wouldn't have.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the games? Which athletes are you most looking forward to following over the next 4 years? Only 536 days until the winter games start in Pyeongchang!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest story before 2020 will be whether the Russians doping program improves or implodes.

I suspect many of those Bronze medals become 4th place if the doping controls arent as strict.

This was a good games to show how we can compete when a bunch of the cheaters are kicked out beforehand.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would love to see Calgary get the Winter Olympics again. I still remember how badly I wanted to travel to Calgary, as a child in the 80s, just to see the games.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if a Calgary/Edmonton joint effort could be made for a summer olympics...
Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should have a pool on how many Russian medals are stripped before Tokyo
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Olympics. I watched more this time than I have in a long while. I am looking forward to following Andre, Penny and curious as to whether Usain will actually retire. Lots of good stories going forward to Tokyo.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I love the Olympics. I watched more this time than I have in a long while. I am looking forward to following Andre, Penny and curious as to whether Usain will actually retire. Lots of good stories going forward to Tokyo.
Same goes for Phelps and other athletes who have said that Brazil is their last Olympic games. I do not believe what they say.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #8
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the USOC has the guts to suspend Lochte for 4 years.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'll call Tokyo a success if none our athletes dye their hair, get liquored up and bust up a gas station.

Bar has been set low.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #10
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I wonder if the USOC has the guts to suspend Lochte for 4 years.
Should that happen, expect never ending court cases.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if a Calgary/Edmonton joint effort could be made for a summer olympics...
if you are going to dream, you may as well dream big.....
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be lots of good momentum heading into Japan for the Canadian athletes but I'm actually most excited to see how the next two host cities Pyeong Chang and Tokyo handle the games. I think both games are going to be excellent examples of how the games should be managed. Korea should be a level of detail and artful display while Tokyo should be extremely efficient and high tech.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many years ahead of schedule Japan will be on constructing everything. I'd bet at least a year.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt it, the cost of the next Olympics will be in the area of $21 billion dollars. Even if we went budget on them, it would be unaffordable.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I doubt it, the cost of the next Olympics will be in the area of $21 billion dollars. Even if we went budget on them, it would be unaffordable.
Source?

(not in a dickish way, I'm genuinely interested in learning more)
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be interesting to see if someone like Penny O is a flash in the pan, or if she just gets stronger.

I too would like to know more about the $21 billion number above. specifically, is that a government estimate, or a real estimate.

I wonder if the price will ever get too be too much for more than the odd city/country.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

if we take out the Beijing Games (cause China can print money) both the Athens and the London games cost $15 Billion US.

Rio had an initial budget of $6 billion US but remember that had a World Cup too. Also they went way over budget so we'll see what the final tally is.

Toronto Pan Am Games were $2.5 billion CDN.

Could Calgary/Edmonton do maybe a $10 Billion US Games?

But for sure Toronto will get the first shot.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #18
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tokyo will be an absolutely amazing host for the games, of this I have no doubt. That will be an incredibly fun one to attend; I'm sure it's going to be much, much more popular than Rio.

Despite the recent critics, I want the 2026 Olympics here in Calgary. That's a legacy event, and I want to be part of that in my hometown in my lifetime. I'm fully on board, especially if we can show the world you can host the games successfully for a reasonable cost.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary/Edmonton as co-hosts would probably never work, both cities would fight like mad to get swimming and track, while trying to bury all the boring events no one wants in the other city. Seriously doubt they'll work together well enough for it to work. Too much haggling I would think.

I think Calgary 2026 is also probably unlikely even if the city enthusiastically bids. So long as LA's bid doesn't collapse, they're basically a lock to get 2024. Then you'll have Europe without a Winter games in 20 years, and no Olympics at all in almost 15. As long as there is a solid European bid, it'll get 2026 and Calgary will have almost no chance unless it goes over the top with a huge bid (i.e. over budget). If it's an economy games, Europe wins that easily so long as it bids. So 2030 or 2034 are more likely for Calgary. Ideally never, but I get people want to throw money at the IOC so they can be priced out of attending anything but cross country skiing.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

I think Calgary 2026 is also probably unlikely even if the city enthusiastically bids. So long as LA's bid doesn't collapse, they're basically a lock to get 2024. Then you'll have Europe without a Winter games in 20 years, and no Olympics at all in almost 15. As long as there is a solid European bid, it'll get 2026 and Calgary will have almost no chance unless it goes over the top with a huge bid (i.e. over budget). If it's an economy games, Europe wins that easily so long as it bids. So 2030 or 2034 are more likely for Calgary. Ideally never, but I get people want to throw money at the IOC so they can be priced out of attending anything but cross country skiing.
Isn't Sochi in Europe?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post: