Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #1221
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
Any tips on the best coverage for a newbie?

I've only started following MMA. I find the women's matches more interesting and sort of like what I've seen from Joanna Jedrzejczyk. I've pretty much just been watching through YouTube.

I downloaded the official app but unless you sign up for a pass, you can't watch any of the videos. Is it worth signing up?

One thing that confuses me is all the sub-UFC organizations -- StrikeForce, Cage something or other... there seems to be dozens. Is any of that stuff worth following? Are those like minor leagues to the UFC?

I guess the UFC XXX PPVs are the main events. Is it worth subscribing to the Fight Network?

Okay, sorry for all the questions...
The womens divisions are really getting exciting, love that Ronda has been exposed and the competition figured her out and dominated her and her creepy trainer Edmond. Jedrzejczyk is a beast, she'd probably be able to destroy 90% of the males on CP (LOL).

StrikeForce is no longer, the only somewhat competition is Bellator.

There are many smaller and regional organizations, but they aren't on network TV or anything. They are more like the AHL and CHL, where up and comers can learn and get on a role so that the UFC notices them.

There are lots of UFC cards on free TV, all UFC fight nights are the TSN channels (1,2,3,4,or 5). Those cards and PPV cards also air the prelims (usually 4 fights) on either the Fight Network / channel or TSN sometimes before the PPV mainevent.

I don't have fightpass or any app and I watch every single UFC event, some I pay for, some I download and watch it early the following morning (staying off any MMA sites and Facebook to avoid spoilers).

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
kn
Old 01-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #1222
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next step for Gegard to be champion

Mousasi vs Weidman at UFC 210. Gutsy for Weidman to take on a very dangerous opponent after two big losses

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/19...ed-for-ufc-210
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #1223
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disliked Tyron before this interview, now I hate him even more. What a dbag.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/19...in-ufc-history

Quote:
“Certain athletes, they show the UFC, to the fans, that they are marketable,” Woodley said. “What happens is, the UFC gets behind them. They start to push them. I’m a husband, I’m a father of four, I’m a gym owner. I’m an actor. I’m an analyst. I’m a stuntman. I’m a Christian. Every avenue you can take me, I’ve got it. I grew up in the projects. I grew up in gangbanging. Family of 14 in a four-family house and I made a choice to be successful. What is there not to market? I’m fighting like hell. I’m not doing performance-enhancing drugs in my life. ... Why would they not want to market me?”

Woodley touched upon the subject of racial issues in the mixed martial arts culture several times during a whirlwind media tour of the Los Angeles area on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, in an appearance on ESPN, he was very vocal about what he sees on a daily basis.

“The second I bring up race in the sport I’m immediately race baiting,” Woodley continued. “I can point out clear facts: no other champion has been treated like me. I’m not saying they support [Thompson] more, but he has some fans who have crossed the line. It’s not his fault, I’m not saying it’s him, let’s get clear on that. I do respect him. I have been friendly and cordial with him, I will be friendly and cordial when we walk out. But let’s put the cards on the table. Real is real. If I was a different complexion, I feel fans would treat me a different way.”

Woodley also questioned why fans haven’t taken to talents like the fighter many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter on Earth, UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson.

“The best pound-for-pound fighter, Demetrious Johnson, African-American male, completely a Tasmanian devil. Why doesn’t he have the big endorsements?” Woodley asked. “Why isn’t he making the most money? What’s the difference? Think about it. The second Jon Jones steps on a banana peel, granted, he’s his own worst enemy, but, they can’t wait to throw him underneath the bus. People of different races get so many different chances.”

Toward the end of the ESPN interview, Woodley summed up his feelings strongly.

“I'm by far the worst treated champion in the history of the UFC, blatantly facts,” he said. “When March 4 come along, I will defend this belt, I will move forward in my legacy, and I will continue to do what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.
Race or not, he's an ass. I hope Thompson knocks him out with a crazy crescent kick or something. Poor me! Nobody like me... Boohoo.

More photos on Flickr
Old 01-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #1224
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woodley getting some media attention for a fight no one was talking about.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #1225
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thoughts about BJ Penn getting his lunch fed? Talk about yesterday's fighter - really shows the evolution of the sport over the last couple of years. I hope GSP stays away because I fear the same end for him, unless I guess he fights another has-been, like Silva, just to cash out...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #1226
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

GSP was fading as he left. His last couple fights he wasnt dominating like in his prime and Hendricks damaged him pretty good in his final fight even though the judges gave him the decision.

I agree. Stay away GSP.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #1227
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any of you guys follow Bellator? Daley vs Ward. Incredible finish. Wow.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #1228
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/FancyCombat/stat...23802334539776
Old 01-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #1229
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ The sequence before the knee was great also. Daley made space with a tight hook, then lands a spinning elbow. The video picks up when Ward was staggering backwards from the elbow.

Bellator has really put a bit of a roster together. It is no longer UFC retirees trying for a few more paycheques. Daley called out Rory McDonald after the fight. If it happens, I might even forgo a UFC PPV for this matchup.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:01 AM   #1230
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
Any tips on the best coverage for a newbie?
r/mma on reddit is a fantastic resource. They are like the CP of MMA, everything is reported early or right when it happens on the page. It's my daily go to for keeping up with the MMA world.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
kn
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #1231
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
No thoughts about BJ Penn getting his lunch fed? Talk about yesterday's fighter - really shows the evolution of the sport over the last couple of years. I hope GSP stays away because I fear the same end for him, unless I guess he fights another has-been, like Silva, just to cash out...
I kind of felt bad for Penn because that was just so unfair. I mean it's hard to feel bad for Penn the person, but I mean in the sense of watching an old man get chased around the ring and beat down in general.

And I have no idea what the judges were thinking in the other couple bouts leading up to that. Like the Saunders one was at least close I suppose, but there is no way that Lauzon won his fight (and credit to him he said the same thing). I know, you don't leave it in the hands of the judges, but is it really asking that much that when fights do go the distance to have someone competent at ringside?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #1232
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A few days ago, I watched a One Championship event from Indonesia. I didn't realize they are as large as they are and dominate viewership in the Eastern hemisphere. Vitaly Bigdash certainly looked like he could handle anyone in the UFC or at least, be competitive.

It seems there are a lot of outfits offering "world titles" and given all these organizations, how can the UFC (or anyone) claim an "undisputed" title?
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #1233
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

UFC Fight Night tonight -- 6+ hours of coverage on TSN5 which is pretty awesome.

My money's on Valentina tonight - pretty much the only fighter I've heard of before.

Last edited by kn; 01-28-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #1234
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

[QUOTE=Regulator75;6089217]I disliked Tyron before this interview, now I hate him even more. What a dbag.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/19...in-ufc-history

Race or not, he's an ass. I hope Thompson knocks him out with a crazy crescent kick or something. Poor me! Nobody like me... Boohoo.[/QUOTE

If you ain't black then you can't relate. Walk a mile in his shoes and your tune would probably change.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:07 PM   #1235
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought Johnson was the best fighter in the prelims. He was so technical on the ground and completely wore out Silva.

I'm really shocked how nonchalant Pena's coach was about the Colorado altitude. Meanwhile, Shevchenko has been training there for a while.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #1236
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet again the Ngannou is just a beast! Really there were some good fights on this card. I will probably check out the Nunes/Shevchenko fight as that could be interesting. I think that Shevchecnko wins that though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #1237
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
If you ain't black then you can't relate. Walk a mile in his shoes and your tune would probably change.
Hmmm, a mile in his shoes? Being the UFC Welterweight Champion of the World? Sure thing, I'll go count my millions, train and fight.

He needs not to be such a sour human being, learn to be graceful, humble and not come off as being a total prick.

Honestly, I hope he's just playing up this poor me / everyone hates blacks and especially me angle, to make himself more of a "bad guy" to sell PPV's.

More photos on Flickr
Old 01-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #1238
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Woodley hadn't have said this, would there be any other reason people would be talking about this fight?

The casual fan - who makes up a huge chunk of the ppv market - may not even know who was fighting and when.

It's disappointing he played the race card - because I sincerely hope that is not a real issue - but the guy seems to be doing whatever he can to generate noise and discussion about the fight. Can't say I blame him.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #1239
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Issue is the race card is a real issue in the U.S. right now.

Dana White supported Donald Trump at the DNC, and in the election.

There is probably something true to what Woodley is talking about.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #1240
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Issue is the race card is a real issue in the U.S. right now.

Dana White supported Donald Trump at the DNC, and in the election.

There is probably something true to what Woodley is talking about.
Not that Dana isn't a completely unlikable dick (he is), but possibly him backing up Trump is a political move to get MMA sanctioned in more states. Trump has connections to WWE (duh) and boxing so possibly Dana is leveraging a relationship to push MMA

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote