Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Thumbs up "Sherlock" on BBC: I am addicted!

I heard the BBC's modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (simply referred to as "Sherlock") was quite good, so tonight I watched the episode that aired and I thoroughly enjoyed it! If you liked watching "House," you'll love this series! It takes place in present day London, which I really enjoy seeing!

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix Canada. The series is currently on season 3, and there are only a few episodes per season, as they are long (about 1.5 hours per episode). I can't wait to watch the full series from the start!

Here's the trailer for the series:

Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very enjoyable show. Done by the same guys (Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss) as Doctor Who. Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant. Really good adaptation.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've stayed away from this one. I've caught a few bits of a few episodes and it's very difficult for me to suspend my disbelief.

Moffat is hit and miss for me. He's great at writing situational comedy and creating great characters (Coupling) but when giving iconic/larger than life everything is a bit too fairytale/television like and I can't suspend the logical portion of my brain because it's all so fake and contrived. It works for Doctor Who because it's basically fantasy but Sherlock is supposed to be grounded in logic and reason and modern day realism.

I watched the Sherlock episode about the secret Chinese sect/rituals and the teapot, etc. and made me really cringe at all the cultural malaise, clichés, anachronisms, bad accents, etc.

I feel that Sherlock is still best set in the 19th century which gives it enough historical distance that you are able to accept all the zaniness that goes on. I don't need references to Twitter and writer's misconceptions about how internet and technology, etc. work. It makes Sherlock unbelievable.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've stayed away from this one. I've caught a few bits of a few episodes and it's very difficult for me to suspend my disbelief.

Moffat is hit and miss for me. He's great at writing situational comedy and creating great characters (Coupling) but when giving iconic/larger than life everything is a bit too fairytale/television like and I can't suspend the logical portion of my brain because it's all so fake and contrived. It works for Doctor Who because it's basically fantasy but Sherlock is supposed to be grounded in logic and reason and modern day realism.

I watched the Sherlock episode about the secret Chinese sect/rituals and the teapot, etc. and made me really cringe at all the cultural malaise, clichés, anachronisms, bad accents, etc.

I feel that Sherlock is still best set in the 19th century which gives it enough historical distance that you are able to accept all the zaniness that goes on. I don't need references to Twitter and writer's misconceptions about how internet and technology, etc. work. It makes Sherlock unbelievable.
that episode was the 8th or 9th best one out of the 9 shows
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
that episode was the 8th or 9th best one out of the 9 shows
This.

That's honestly the only episode I can think of that I don't like every single second of from start to finish.

Also series 3 is bloody phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

for me

2 and 5 at the bottom tied.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya whatever order you have of the 9

2 is at the bottom or tied for it with 5

if that is the one episode you watched that turned you off from the show give another episode a chance
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #8
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 was probably the best episode of TV I've ever seen.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sherlock has been probably the best show on TV outside of maybe only Game of Thrones for the past half-decade.

Absolutely brilliant and I love the homages to the original stories.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My god it has been too long
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
My god it has been too long
I blame that brilliant basterd Peter Jackson for plopping the Hobbit in the middle of the Sherlock series and poaching all their talent!!

Want to know what sucks even more?

They're releasing the Christmas special soon but season 4 doesnt air until 2017, so we get one episode and then have to wait a whole year for more.

Jerkstore!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just ruined my week
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh? Wha? Wasn't the BBC series set in modern day? Now it's in the Victorian era?

Time travel? That Cumberbach....is there anything he can't do?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Huh? Wha? Wasn't the BBC series set in modern day? Now it's in the Victorian era?

Time travel? That Cumberbach....is there anything he can't do?
Its a Christmas Special.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically much worse than the stories, but overall, a good watch. What is with the modern desire to have our geniuses be completely autistic? Sherlock Holmes was a bit odd in the stories, but he was still a gentleman, more or less.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Basically much worse than the stories, but overall, a good watch. What is with the modern desire to have our geniuses be completely autistic? Sherlock Holmes was a bit odd in the stories, but he was still a gentleman, more or less.
I love this show, and it's probably because the "completely autistic" demeanour of Sherlock. I mean, you can't be in the top thousandth percentile of intelligence and still be a James Bond type gentleman. That's pretty much it. If you want the gentleman that solves sh*t, James Bond is your man. If you want the ultra intelligent, borderline psychic amount of logical deduction, Sherlock is what you watch. I am amused and entertained by how much of a sociopath he is. The way he has absolutely no care or desire to be liked is why I like him. He doesn't waste time trying to be cool or nice. And then when he has the slightest flash of humanity with Ms Hudson or Watson, it's almost adorable. Can't believe I used that word, but that's the word for that.

Great show. Don't change a thing. And yeah, that chinese episode was definitely not one of the better ones.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best show on TV for a long long time imo.

I too had reservations as somebody who was brought up in the UK on the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes amongst others. However, they nailed it with this show. It's a perfect homage to the character.

I loved the Moriarty character. "I'm sooooo changeable"
Old 11-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #19
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, definitely the best show on the air (..although - aww man, 2017??!).

I binge watched the whole series towards the end of last year...I think I'll go back through it now.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-03-2015 at 07:10 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #20
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started this show last night. At first I was kind of bummed how each season was only 3 episodes. But then I saw each episode was 90 minutes. I thought episode 1 was really well done and I made it halfway thru episode 2 before bed time.

Looking forward to watching this series. I was a huge fan of the old radio show with Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone when I was a kid (used to rent them from the public library) and even The Return of Sherlock Holmes from the 80s.

Overall, pretty pleased with this new one. Sucks to have to wait so long for season 4 though.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote