Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should this have been a new thread?
Who cares... 16 8.89%
Seriously who cares... 43 23.89%
Is this the thread about Janko? 79 43.89%
This poll is FOO-lish 42 23.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #81
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Gotta think Weisbroad would bring him to Vanvouver if he ends up being released.
damnit, we coulda had Virtanen or Juoelevi or something if Canucks were a trading partner for Sieloff!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Gotta think Weisbroad would bring him to Vanvouver if he ends up being released.
He was a Weisbrod pick so I could definitely see him get a cup of coffee in Vancouver.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #83
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Sens wanted rid of Chiasson in the worst way, he was an ugly reminder of how bad they botched the Spezza trade. He was terrible for them last year.
If we didnt give up Seiloff, Id guess the Sens were going to waive Chiasson.
More likely they'd have just not given him a qualifying offer
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #84
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Sens wanted rid of Chiasson in the worst way, he was an ugly reminder of how bad they botched the Spezza trade. He was terrible for them last year.
If we didnt give up Seiloff, Id guess the Sens were going to waive Chiasson.
That might be true, but you don't trade for a player just to dump him unless it's an intention buy-out situation. Considering Chiasson wasn't in that situation, it would be poor asset management to trade Chiasson for Sieloff just to dump Sieloff right away.

Of course, neither are anything but role players, so it's not like it's a massive mistake if they waive Sieloff or anything.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #85
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ottawa Senators @Senators
#Sens GM Pierre Doiron informed the travelling media this morning that on doctor's advice, Clarke MacArthur will not play this season.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #86
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Ottawa Senators @Senators
#Sens GM Pierre Doiron informed the travelling media this morning that on doctor's advice, Clarke MacArthur will not play this season.
Did he not play at all? That's a shame.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #87
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

correct, he has not played since the hit

he also only played 4 games last season.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #88
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a dummy Sieloff is lol
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #89
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacArthur suffered 2 concussions in 2015 prior to this hit, so I still wonder if he should have been in a non-contact jersey during training camp.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #90
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

He shouldn't even have been playing in training camp.

Sieloff is getting thrown under the bus but really the hit wasn't that bad. Probably shouldn't lay out a teammate but I guarantee the coaching staff was telling these guys to treat the scrimmage like a real game and you don't want to be cut.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #91
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Sieloff is getting thrown under the bus but really the hit wasn't that bad. Probably shouldn't lay out a teammate but I guarantee the coaching staff was telling these guys to treat the scrimmage like a real game and you don't want to be cut.

It was a good hit just, cannot fault him for competing. But it soiled his time in Ottawa now
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #92
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

so... how has sieloff looked this year for the sens farm? Would be an easier pill to swallow where your top 6 winger loss is at least offset with a positive trending prospect.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #93
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
so... how has sieloff looked this year for the sens farm? Would be an easier pill to swallow where your top 6 winger loss is at least offset with a positive trending prospect.
2G, 6A, 29PIMs, +2 in 33 games
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #94
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fairness, and I dont even remember the Sieloff hit. but if one hit was all it was going to take to knock you out for the entire season then that hit was likely coming one way or another.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #95
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
2G, 6A, 29PIMs, +2 in 33 games
I suppose sieloff's the kind of dman that won't wow you with his stats any how....
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #96
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
What a dummy Sieloff is lol
Sieloff probably did MacArthur a favor. Can't handle a hit in practice? Imagine what would happen in a real game scenario with opposition actually trying to hurt you.

He wouldn't have made it a week.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #97
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy was a walking time bomb....if that hit takes him out for a year after missing 95% of the previous year its time to hang em up
Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #98
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A player plays like he needs to play in order to make a team out of training camp. Hits the wrong guy and is demonized for it.

That's my take on this for better or for worse.
Hockeyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #99
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

This is bang on. The Sens staff including doctors should be investigated. Here is an article from March 2016 where MacArther explains how bad his symptoms were at that point in time from the earlier concussions. He also mentions how he hid his symptoms from the team and doctors at various points in time.

Before he got cleared for training camp, did he hide further symptoms? Did the doctors conduct thorough examination that would have identified problems even if he was hiding them? Did the doctors see red flags but cleared him anyway because the team wanted him cleared?

Its also the second concussion hes gotten from a hit from a teammate.

Read the article and you'll see his problems were severe well before the hit from Sieloff and he helped get himself into this bad situation. The NHL should take a closer look at how this was handled. Focusing the blame on Sieloff and his hit on a team mate in a scrimmage seems like an attempt to divert attention from the real issue here.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hock...th-concussions

Quote:
Clarke MacArthur opens up about his gruelling battle with concussions

KEN WARREN, OTTAWA CITIZEN
More from Ken Warren, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 27, 2016 | Last Updated: March 29, 2016 10:12 AM EST

For weeks, he needed toothpicks to keep his eyes open. For months, he endured “stinging” headaches. He couldn’t watch TV. He couldn’t read. He couldn’t focus on anything — including his wife, Jessica, three-year-old daughter, Emery, and now 10-month old son, Gus — for more than five minutes at a time.

The initial estimates of being out for only 10 weeks came and went with little improvement. When he did make his first tentative steps at returning in January, it felt like he was “floating around” on the ice.

MacArthur expects no sympathy. He says he created his own nightmare, ignoring telltale concussion symptoms at the end of training camp.

“I feel like if I had just went with my gut instinct from Day 1, I would have missed 10 games and I would have played the rest of the year,” MacArthur said in an exclusive interview with Postmedia at his Ottawa home last week. “It would have been a different situation. It could have been a completely different year.”

Instead, he looks back — in painstaking detail — about his long months of inactivity and uncertainty.

THE BIG HITS

In September, MacArthur was full of confidence, believing the team “was ready to take some big leaps”. Any concerns about the February, 2015 concussion he suffered following a collision with goaltender Robin Lehner were history by the time he scored two goals in six playoff games against Montreal in the spring.

Everything changed in the final game of the pre-season. MacArthur was backchecking, aiming to stop Montreal’s Alex Galchenyuk, as Senators minor-league defenceman Mark Fraser stepped up to “strong arm” the Montreal forward. Galchenyuk dodged the hit. MacArthur didn’t. The hit to the jaw was jarring.

Quote:
“It stunned me, it was like the (concussion) before and I was thinking ‘oh, no,’” MacArthur said. “I went to the bench, trying to hide it almost, but the trainers saw it.”

MacArthur heeded the medical advice to remain out of the game, but the following day he made his first big mistake, thinking the five-day lag until the regular-season opener would allow him enough time to recover.

“I woke up and I could feel it coming on,” he said. “I had a headache and my vision was a little off. I was telling the trainers and doctors that I was fine, but I was hiding the symptoms.”

MacArthur passed the concussion test, but his normal one-hour afternoon naps had turned into five-hour sleeps. He occasionally woke up in “a fog.” He made it through the opening three games of the season, knowing something was off.

“I would get a couple of passes and think a guy was on me and I would try to move it, but I had, like, 10 feet of room,” MacArthur said. “I was stumbling around and I think my balance got tweaked a little bit. How do I bring it up that I’m not good now? I already told them that I was. I had to figure it out before everyone catches on that I can’t even play.”

Then came the Oct. 14 game in Columbus. MacArthur says he was ready to come clean, “feeling off and on” after taking a solid first-period hit. “I was going to let them know after the game.”

He didn’t last that long. In the second period, he tripped over a Columbus player, banged his head on the ice and has no memory of being helped to the dressing room. The next thing he remembers is a doctor giving him an eye exam.

“I puked in the trash can five minutes afterwards and I’m thinking, ‘what did I do?’”
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #100
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Jesus I hope he retires. He should never be allowed to try and come back again.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post: