Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Flames Roster thread - ideas/thoughts

After watching hands of stone Chiasson continually blow passes that Johnny dishes him - even Brouwer on the PP can't finish what Johnny creates - I want to do a post that breaks down the line-up and give ideas on how I'd like to see it setup along with other posters.

Last night was frustrating... Haven't seen us look this bad in a while and personally feel like losing Hathaway has been a bigger loss than some might think, we are missing the charge that he was putting into games early on. When he's back I'd like to see a few things happen with the line-up, most notably the demotion of Chiasson to the fourth line/13th forward spot and I also want to see Bennett slide to the right wing on the top line to allow us to bring up Jankowski.

Something like:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer
Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway
Chiasson, Bouma

Hamilton - waivers

Also thinking as crazy as it may sound that exposing Giordano to Las Vegas might be a smart option for this club allowing us to take his money and throw it at a legitimate starter like Bishop going into next year. I dig Gio, think he's been an awesome captain and an awesome Flame but I can't help but think his contract is going to look worse year after year and with the likes of Hickey, Kylington, Kulak, Andersson, Fox ect. A move like this is easier to make.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think not having a RW that has the ability to play with our skill guys is a big problem and the reason a guy like Gaudreau is really struggling. I don't know how many times he has set up Chiasson for a prime goal scoring chance only to have stone hands blow it. I think if the ambition is still to make the playoffs it has to be addressed now. I don't see anything on the farm that will fill that need but I do see a guy in Arizona that is on a one year deal and is lighting it up and that is Vrbata. Had a 4 point night last night and leads the Yotes in scoring. RW RS as well and would be a great stop gap for what ails us and he would not break the bank to obtain. I also think they should run with Elliott for a while, he has shown in the past how good he can be and was brought here to be the starter, let him run with it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the lines that Gulutzan has rolled out this year with the exception of 3M which is a great line. I am not sure why Monahan and Gaudreau are split up every game when they have showed chemistry over the past 2 years.

Chaisson should be scratched but has constantly been paired with Johnny. Bennett has been awful at centre, Brouwer has been a big bust.

Wideman on the 2nd pair has been a disaster.

Treliving has a ton of work to do this summer
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
After watching hands of stone Chiasson continually blow passes that Johnny dishes him - even Brouwer on the PP can't finish what Johnny creates - I want to do a post that breaks down the line-up and give ideas on how I'd like to see it setup along with other posters.

Last night was frustrating... Haven't seen us look this bad in a while and personally feel like losing Hathaway has been a bigger loss than some might think, we are missing the charge that he was putting into games early on. When he's back I'd like to see a few things happen with the line-up, most notably the demotion of Chiasson to the fourth line/13th forward spot and I also want to see Bennett slide to the right wing on the top line to allow us to bring up Jankowski.

Something like:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Versteeg - Jankowski - Brouwer
Chiasson, Bouma

Hamilton - waivers

Also thinking as crazy as it may sound that exposing Giordano to Las Vegas might be a smart option for this club allowing us to take his money and throw it at a legitimate starter like Bishop going into next year. I dig Gio, think he's been an awesome captain and an awesome Flame but I can't help but think his contract is going to look worse year after year and with the likes of Hickey, Kylington, Kulak, Andersson, Fox ect. A move like this is easier to make.

Just 1 thing about exposing Gio to the expansion draft. If he gets exposed and isnt taken what then? Im betting we have one pissed off captian at his lowest possible trade value.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames are well positioned to benefit from the expansion draft. Need to add at forward and in net.

On D, I'd like to see them move one of the big 3. The D needs a shake up and moving out a 6/7 for another one isn't going to do it.

One more year for Treliving. Playoffs or find a new job.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Exposing the captain in the expansion draft is indeed crazy talk.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

it's not enough that someone wants to make the laughable suggestion of exposing Giordano, but then someone wants to trump it by questioning whether he'd get taken?

This place gets beyond ridiculous after losses
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Exposing the captain in the expansion draft is indeed crazy talk.
IMO Gio's contract is going to haunt us and turn into a Wideman x 2.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a very, very bad call to give Johnson two starts after his percieved 2-goal flop vs Florida (that was covered up by some high octane scoring for once) as well. If it was true that Elliott needed a bit of time to heal up then that's excusable - otherwise, just a brain-dead call. The team is not high enough in the standings to try and play struggling goalies out of a slump.

Gaudreau and Bennett looked okay together in the first. Please get Chiasson off that line though. I'm willing to try Bouma on that line at this point - at least he's looked good lately. But Ferland's in a slump, Chiasson kills the play, Hathaway is injured.

Stop shoehorning Brodie onto the left when he and the team are struggling. #1 most hated ongoing experiment. You take away like 80% of his breakout ability. He has these all these little "finesse" board moves that only a leftie playing the right side can exploit - who gives a crap about the D-to-D pass behind the net? Before Rutherford got Daley, the first thing the entire team did is watch tape on him, and it was evident that Chicago was trying to shoehorn him in on that left side (which is why he was struggling). So they stick him back on that right side and lo-and-behold, he can play again. Gulutzan could stand to learn a lesson from that whole affair.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
that might happen 5 years from now, we'll have to wait and see

but talking about exposing one of the best defensemen in the league in an expansion draft is nothing short of idiocy

this is exactly the kind of crap that people refer to when they say that Canadian fans are too impatient, and too vocally critical of every little thing, to ever allow their teams to build a winner
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm all for trading Gio. Not a chance in hell in giving him away for free. If we made him a available, he would get a good return from contenders.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

So if the Flames totally lost the plot and exposed Gio the d next season would be
Hamilton
Brodie
Kulak
Kevin
????
????
???!
Two NHL quality d. Yikes
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
So if the Flames totally lost the plot and exposed Gio the d next season would be
Hamilton
Brodie
Kulak
Kevin
????
????
???!
Two NHL quality d. Yikes
Andersson and kylingrin, duh. Those guys are shoe ins to be top pairing defenders in the same way max Reinhart is centering the third line and Greg nemisz is anchoring the second pairing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The upside to losing Gio in the expansion draft is that you get to keep Bouma and Stajan no matter what.

The Flames only have three D worthy of protecting and you can protect three. It's a no brainer.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 01-22-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

No we're not trading one of the top 3 D, and no we're not exposing Giordano.

The roster is going to have a good bit of turnover this off season, especially on the blueline.

My personal hope is Chaisson gets moved at the draft, Jokipakka gets taken at the expansion draft. As for what will fill those holes, I'm not so sure. But bringing those two back isn't the answer
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So if a lot of fans are already moving on to next year and the team is still talking playoffs, I wonder why they won't shake up without trading....whatever happened to never given....call up 4 guys and PLAY THEM. Rittich, Poirier, Morrison (why not?!?), and Kulak (already here. Roate a few vets in and out....see what happens. They could all stink - no harm no foul at this point - or Riitich could go on a tear, poirier pots a few Johnny Hockey passes, Morrision goes back to the farm a happy camper.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So if a lot of fans are already moving on to next year and the team is still talking playoffs, I wonder why they won't shake up without trading....whatever happened to never given....call up 4 guys and PLAY THEM. Rittich, Poirier, Morrison (why not?!?), and Kulak (already here. Roate a few vets in and out....see what happens. They could all stink - no harm no foul at this point - or Riitich could go on a tear, poirier pots a few Johnny Hockey passes, Morrision goes back to the farm a happy camper.
You can't just bring up bodies. The Flames are at the roster max as is, so to bring up 4 bodies, we'd need to send 4 bodies down. Who do you send down?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

If that happens, than we can buy him out when the next lockout happens.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it time to split up the Tkachuk- Backlund- Frolik line?

I would suggest:
Gaudreau- Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk- Monahan- Brouwer
Versteeg- Bennett-Chaisson
Ferland- Stajan- Bouma

That way Gaudreau will have a combination of skill and defensive responsibility on his line. Also, Maybe Tkachuk willl force Monahan to be emotionally involved on the ice.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Flames management is trying hard to find a RWer so this season isn't completely lost. Even Iginla or Yakupov would be worth a shot at this point. The 3M line needs to stick. Gaudreau and Monahan should be together but they need a RWer. Chiasson playing with Gaudreau is a joke. He's a borderline NHL player and he's playing with a top 10 scorer in the NHL and he's not even tough.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Yak
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
Bourque's Twin is online now   Reply With Quote