Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Greentree, Lundmark & Pelech

In my mind these are the 3 guys that likely get the call up to the Flames first if/when injuries occur.

How have these 3 looked so far?
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How have these 3 looked so far?
well you've assessed them, why don't you tell us
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

IMO:

pelech: haven't seen as much as he was out a few games. he has looked solid. though i haven't seen any spectacular plays from him. then again i don't watch him a lot as i know what to expect.

greentree: to me has looked invisible on the ice. haven't seen many good plays. haven't seen many bad ones either. like i said though, i often go for a whole period not noticing him.

lundmark: has looked pretty average. he has good patience and vision in the zone, but that hasn't led to much. don't know if its just our crappy play in general or if he just doesn't quite have it together. but nothing too great coming from him either.

based on what i have seen, i wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in anyone from the qc going up. i think pelech would be the top d-man. since he isn't waiver eligible yet, no risk in bringing him up when you need him. palin has once again been able to be a plus player on a team full of minus players. don't know how he would fare in the nhl, and doubt he is going to get a call, but you never know.

for forwards, chucko did play great in the preseason and first couple games. seems to have leveled off. don't see as much fire from him. though he is still being an agitator at time. peters now leads the team in goals, but hasn't been a dominating player by any means. those two would need consideration if you were looking for someone to call up. sutter and cracknell have played well IMO, but are still a year away from anything.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dobbles, I think that's a pretty good analysis. Before camp this year, I'd never seen Pelech or Pardy play but was intrigued by the fact that Pelech, Pardy and Palin all last year played a similar amount of games and had similar points but Palin was a good plus player and the others were bad minuses.
________
Maine marijuana dispensary

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 05-15-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
ummmmmmm ok. I've yet to see a game by any of these gentlemen this season, hence my interest in having any QC fans discuss them. Whats up with the comment Canada02, didnt watch your cartoons this morning?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
i think he was implying they were the 3 most likely call up candidates. and wanted to know how they had played in the first 11 games of the baby flames season.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
IMO:

pelech: haven't seen as much as he was out a few games. he has looked solid. though i haven't seen any spectacular plays from him. then again i don't watch him a lot as i know what to expect.

greentree: to me has looked invisible on the ice. haven't seen many good plays. haven't seen many bad ones either. like i said though, i often go for a whole period not noticing him.

lundmark: has looked pretty average. he has good patience and vision in the zone, but that hasn't led to much. don't know if its just our crappy play in general or if he just doesn't quite have it together. but nothing too great coming from him either.

based on what i have seen, i wouldn't have a whole lot of confidence in anyone from the qc going up. i think pelech would be the top d-man. since he isn't waiver eligible yet, no risk in bringing him up when you need him. palin has once again been able to be a plus player on a team full of minus players. don't know how he would fare in the nhl, and doubt he is going to get a call, but you never know.

for forwards, chucko did play great in the preseason and first couple games. seems to have leveled off. don't see as much fire from him. though he is still being an agitator at time. peters now leads the team in goals, but hasn't been a dominating player by any means. those two would need consideration if you were looking for someone to call up. sutter and cracknell have played well IMO, but are still a year away from anything.
Thanks for the insight Dobbles.

Couple additional questions for you or any QC fans:

1.) How has the goaltending been, Keetley won player of the week, has he retained his play? How much is Irving even playing?

2.) Pete Vandermeer - Is the guy fighting much? Is he capable of playing a few games in the NHL if we need him on a quick callup for a tough divisional opponent?

3.) Can you give us some insight into how Armstrong, Germyn & Vander Gulik have been playing? Any of these guys better candidates for a callup stint than a Chucko or Lundmark at the forward position?

Many thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do we have Lundmark and Greentree playing in the QC?

Funny, if they're here, you certainly wouldn't know it by their play on the ice.

With all the time that Lundmark has put in, I expected at least superior and consistent play from him. Instead, I find myself almost counting the turnovers and stupid plays. One goal in 11 games and a +/- of -6 pretty much tell the tale.

Greentree's just pretty much invisible out there.

So much for these guys leading by example....

Pelech is doing well. He plays smart, moves his feet, and picks his fights. I'm glad he's back and would hate to lose him to a callup, even though I'd be happy for him if it were to happen.

Last edited by SparkyOne; 11-04-2008 at 02:21 PM.
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post

1.) How has the goaltending been, Keetley won player of the week, has he retained his play? How much is Irving even playing?

2.) Pete Vandermeer - Is the guy fighting much? Is he capable of playing a few games in the NHL if we need him on a quick callup for a tough divisional opponent?

3.) Can you give us some insight into how Armstrong, Germyn & Vander Gulik have been playing? Any of these guys better candidates for a callup stint than a Chucko or Lundmark at the forward position?

Many thanks
i will try not to dominate the qc response too much as there are lots of other posters, but since i am stuck at work, i respond fastest!

keetley has played well. we had tons of injuries on defense and played with a total makeshift crew for a while. palin and pelech both had minor injuries. ericksson didn't get here for a couple weeks, etc... so we had bad D playing in front of the goalies for a while. and hard to say if everyone is up to speed yet with all the fluctuation. with that said, keetley has looked a lot better than irving IMO. he had a couple of stellar road games which i did not see though. at home, he has been good, but not great.

vandermeer hasn't fought a lot. he was playing lots of minutes at D when we were short players which i assume meant he was trying to fight less and stay on the ice. he has fought a few times though. he does seem to be a good person to have as people always shut their mouths when he skates by. he has however taken a ton of dumb minor penalties. he reminds me of prust last year in that regard.

for forwards, armstrong just started playing. seems like a big lanky guy. be interested to watch him. germyn has just looked ok and also missed several games. haven't seen much from vdg, we could really use a big jump from him. ryder has shown some good flashes. man that guy can dangle. but he still seems to be putting pieces together.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Keetley had an awesome weekend out east, but hasn't been playing as well since. We actually were talking last night that Keets may be playing a bit hurt....his moves just don't seem to be all there. But he's playing anyway because Irving has been so bad that we'd have no chance.

Irving's played twice and has pretty much been shelled both times. (In the game against Rochester, which I watched, they scored five, all backhands and two through his five-hole. Once they figured him out, he was mincemeat!!) I would expect that, when Lalande is healthy, Irving will be headed to Las Vegas.

Quote:
Vandermeer's great! Fighting, agitating....it seems to me that he's had about a half dozen fights so far at least. In an article by the Peoria paper after our game with the Rivermen last Friday....

Quote:
Rivermen enforcer Eric Neilson fought veteran heavyweight Peter Vandermeer in the second period, then pushed in the game-winner on a rebound at 14:16, which triggered another melee with Vandermeer.
“That fight, he hit me HARD, I thought he broke my jaw for a second,” Neilson said.
He could hold his own in Calgary probably as readily as anyone we've sent up on a quick callup.

Quote:
Armstrong's only played two games, Friday and Saturday, but I am impressed with his play....moreso Friday in Peoria than Saturday at home. Great puck-handling skills.

As for Germyn and VanDerGulik....quite honestly, I'm disappointed. Maybe I just want someone or a couple of someones to decide to step up and carry this team through what is becoming a bad patch. I cut them slack last season because of all the changes, but these guys just don't strike me to be the leaders that I want them to be or that the team needs.

Last edited by SparkyOne; 11-04-2008 at 02:40 PM.
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the insight guy's. Its much appreciated. Hopefully the boys in QC find their consistency and put a few more W's in the win column
Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
Skaterock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Disappointing to hear that Lundmark has been invisible. I wonder if the effort isn't there because he didn't make the big club?
Skaterock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
borr
Draft Pick

Default Call ups

Tell me if I am wrong, but has not Palin played in the same league and on the same team and played against the same players as Pardy, Pelech, Ramholt etc. His plus/ minus has always been superior to them and if you take away the power play points that the other d men got ,Palins point totals are just as good as theirs as well. The only difference is that Palin was not drafted out of Junior, SO WHAT! He obviously can play at the AHL level as well if not better than some of the others and yet never gets the nod as a legitimate call up. History shows that he is as capable as any of them.
borr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
QCsec113
Draft Pick

Iam also a miss as to why Palin seems to get no love in calgary he is not a flashy player but VERY solid d man!!Pelech has impressed me the games that he has played seems to play a little more physical or with a little more of an edge than he did last year!!Looks good!!
Lundmark geeeeezzz ,i dont know if hes pissed he got shipped down or what but he has done absolutely nothing this year!!And he is getting lots of minutes.At least greetree seems to be around the net with the puck a fe times a game or trying to get something set up.I have not been impressed with lundmark AT ALL!!!
I agree with the others on Armstrong we havent seen much but he looked pretty good.Actually i have to say that the guys that were supposed to lead this team have been dissapointing for the most part but the guys that are a few years away look pretty good to me!!(Cracknell,Carpentier,Armstrong,Ryder)
QCsec113 is offline   Reply With Quote