Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What would it take to get McGill fired?

Losing consitanly, not having the team prepared for what they are capable of. Line flipping (all the time) and seems to me that he just cant get the guys to play hard. Flames score a goal and give one up within a minute.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Pauly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Losing consitanly, not having the team prepared for what they are capable of. Line flipping (all the time) and seems to me that he just cant get the guys to play hard. Flames score a goal and give one up within a minute.
Where have I heard this story before hey fans of the big squad...interesting, I just wonder if our system's are outdated on both squads as I've heard QC replicates Calgary's playing philosophy to a T so players can jump up if necessary and transition into their role within the system flawlessly. Interesting nonetheless that the same issues are plagueing both teams
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
Where have I heard this story before hey fans of the big squad...interesting, I just wonder if our system's are outdated on both squads as I've heard QC replicates Calgary's playing philosophy to a T so players can jump up if necessary and transition into their role within the system flawlessly. Interesting nonetheless that the same issues are plagueing both teams
Might as well teach them to play the trap. At least then the Flames would be consistant...(ly) boring.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm cutting McGill some slack, too....he certainly didn't expect coming in that Eriksson would be so slow in reporting or that we'd have so many injuries that we'd be down to using anyone available as a fill-in on defense. Until this weekend, we hadn't played with the same defense two games in a row.

We're only eight games in. Yeah, there are things he does that I don't like, but he's the coach....and I'm guessing there are things he's doing that he doesn't like, especially if he's told to do something or other from Calgary that he doesn't agree with.

Give it some time for him to settle in!!
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I think it's ridiculous that this is even being brought up. As SparkyOne indicated, it's hard to win every night with the number (8) of injuries this team has endured already. Top four defensemen (Pelech, Palin, Eriksson, Baldwin) and the leading returning scorer out (Germyn).

Sutter doesn't care about wins/losses in the QC. All he cares about is the development of the prospects. Looking at Calgary's current roster there are seven players that spent time in Omaha/QC (Nystrom, Prust, Boyd, Moss, Pardy, McElhinney, and Giordano).

The team should make the playoffs this year. There is enough talent that although they are young, they should put up wins. Unless the wheels fall off, I can't see it happening.

Last edited by Tilley; 10-27-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have an opinion on McGill but every time you hear Sutter talking about him, he says he's done a great job. Maybe he just means bringing a long players but he phrases it in the context of the system. Sutter, though, is the same guy that said Keenan is an elite coach.
________
SHINTO DICUSSION

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 05-15-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As Tilley says, and as many QC fans maybe can't quite accept, Calgary uses its AHL team for development. Wins and losses are secondary....they realize they need wins to put butts in the seats, but the development aspect is more important.

If you go to camp and practices that's obviously evident. They work closely with the guys, help them on their weak areas, and prepare them for callups or a future slot in Calgary. In that aspect, McGill does do a great job.... I actually kinda like watching the guys progress, which is maybe why I don't have as much of a problem with McGill as others do. (But I still want wins as well!!)
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Guess it's the way of the big boys....and he's just following instructions, getting guys ready to play in any situation!

Quote:
"We shuffle lines quite a bit and took some time to find some chemistry, but every guy has the ability to pass the puck and put the puck in the net," Bourque said.