Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:
Default So whats happening with Sven these days?

I see in 31 games he's got 8 goals and 10 assists and is a +/- of -7

But stats don't tell the whole story... and sometimes not even half the story.

How's he doing? Now that he down in Abby I never see him play anymore and am curious to find out how his game is progressing.

Last edited by Rerun; 03-19-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently his first 14 or 15 games down there weren't good, but he's been close to a PPG since I think.

The Heat have been gutted with callups, and kind of suck compared to what they were for most of the season. I wouldn't put much into the +/- as a result.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's also injured right now.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
He's also injured right now.
He returned to the lineup on Wednesday night and had an assist on the Heat's only goal. He has 7 points in his last 5 games played.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He returned to the lineup on Wednesday night and had an assist on the Heat's only goal. He has 7 points in his last 5 games played.
What can I say? The kid is a playmaker.

I'm willing to bet my 3 children's college tuition that at this year's camps, he's going to be putting his all into it, instead of floating like last year.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post

I'm willing to bet my 3 children's college tuition that at this year's camps, he's going to be putting his all into it, instead of floating like last year.
So you think he'll still be around come next September?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
why not? From an asset management standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense to trade him after a such difficult season. You try to buy low, sell high. Trading Sven now wouldn't exactly be selling high.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
why not? From an asset management standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense to trade him after a such difficult season. You try to buy low, sell high. Trading Sven now wouldn't exactly be selling high.
I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him involved in some big trade at the Draft this summer. He's a good player, but I think Burke figures he doesn't have enough "truculence" and I don't see him having a long time future with the Flames.... as long as Burke is in charge.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Without a doubt
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people think it's blasphemy, but I'd rather see Gaudreau moved than Sven because I legitimately think Sven is more likely to be an every day NHL'er. That being said, I don't see either of them moving, which is totally fine by me.

He took this season very personally it seems, which is too bad, but I really hope the organization isn't moving past him. I see him being an important piece and a more talented Backlund in that he'll just be one of the guys that loves playing for this team.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be totally shocked to see him involved in some big trade at the Draft this summer. He's a good player, but I think Burke figures he doesn't have enough "truculence" and I don't see him having a long time future with the Flames.... as long as Burke is in charge.
I think Burke's criticisms of Baertschi from the Fall, as well as his penchant for truculence are badly exaggerated. In any case, there really is no reason to expect that Baertschi won't be in training camp next year. I still believe that he will be an important part of the Flames future

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post

He had better show up and have a ton of jump. I think Baertschi has fallen on the organizational depth chart and is now behind players like Gaudreau, Granlund, and possibly even Ferland. If the Flames end up having to draft a big LW this spring, it may get even uglier for Baertschi. I think he controls his own destiny, but he has to come to camp next year and outperform the other young players on the left side.

Quote:
I think he'll be around come September. Probably 90% certainty. The only way he isn't there is if Burke has someone pull a Colorado and make him an offer he can't refuse. Whether Baertschi is around come next Christmas is another story. Baertschi needs to knock some socks off next camp. He doesn't look like one of the best players on the team come next fall and I think Burke moves him to improve the team immediately.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 03-20-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think Burke's criticisms of Baertschi from the Fall, as well as his penchant for truculence are badly exaggerated. In any case, there really is no reason to expect that Baertschi won't be in training camp next year. I still believe that he will be an important part of the Flames future
I would agree with the Burke comments. Burke seems hold the preference of truculence to the bottom 6 (if that). Trading for Kessel and signing players like Connolly seems to indicate that he doesn't mind straying from this mentality when it comes to acquiring skilled top tier players.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #14
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.
saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
Rerun

Exp:

You guys are probably right and he will be here next September... or at least the odds of that happening are in his favor.

Just saying though, based on Burke's past comments, Sven's performance in Calgary and his early performance in Abby, I wouldn't be shocked to see his name on the trading block at the late June Draft if the right deal comes along.

I suspect that in Burke's mind Sven is at or near the top of the list of Flames tradeable prospects if he can make a deal at the draft which might shorten the rebuild time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Rerun

Exp:

Just found this article...

Quote:
When the smoke clears on trade deadline day and the Calgary Flames are faced with the possibility of having to summon troops from the farm, Brian Burke isn’t sure Sven Baertschi will be one of them.

That’s because Burke isn’t sure Baertschi is showing enough signs of becoming an NHLer. Yet.

“I wouldn’t say he’s progressed or regressed,” said Burke, whose scathing assessment of the 21-year-old Swiss prospect last fall was followed by a December demotion to the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat hours after GM Jay Feaster was fired.

“His goal totals are disappointing for a player with his skill level, but he’s learning to do things that are vital if he wants to play here in terms of playing all three zones and for 60 minutes. He’s made dramatic improvement. His offensive production has not kept pace with what we had hoped for. But you might well see him.”
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/04...sven-baertschi
Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #17
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
“I wouldn’t say he’s progressed or regressed,” said Burke...

"He’s made dramatic improvement," said Burke...
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
He's made dramatic improvement in three zones but his offense has dropped off so they cancel each other out meaning he hasn't progressed. That's how I read it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's made dramatic improvement in three zones but his offense has dropped off so they cancel each other out meaning he hasn't progressed. That's how I read it.
I read it that he is gaining important experience in the AHL because he isn't ready to play in the NHL. The expectations on Sven is that he should be able to be the difference maker on a line rather then a plug. He was producing just fine with Hudler and Monahan but when put on other lines he wasn't able to produce.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
His offense has picked up dramatically, actually
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: