Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #21
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Would Selanne be an import? He's dual citizen, USA and Finland, born in California, so he should be a regular player for WHL.
I think something similar happened with David Musil. Born in Calgary, but holds Czech Citizenship and as he was declared to play with the Czech National Team he technically became an import. He also had dual citizenship and lived both in Czech and Canada.

I believe Selanne falls under the same rule as while he has North American citizenship, he is technically a foreign player (i.e. will not play for Canada or the USA in international tournaments) and has residence outside of the USA.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
As he is only 18 at this point he can have two more years of development in the CHL right? And has another shot at the WJC next as well if his birthdate does not conflict.
He has a 1995 birth date, so he can play in next year's World Juniors.

If my understanding of the CHL rules is correct, I believe he could play the 2015-16 season as an overager if the Flames chose for him to do that.

Also, as a player drafted out of Europe, the Flames hold his rights for four years instead of two before they have to sign him.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he can't find a spot on calgary it would be nice to get him somewhere with prospects already, like Victoria to play with kanzig. Good to hear a Russian kid wants to come here to get better
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that is good, what do we know about him and his play this season? How is he playing so far?
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
that is good, what do we know about him and his play this season? How is he playing so far?
From the flames article this thread is based on.

Quote:
His Loko squad currently sits atop the MHL with 123 points. They’ve lost just five times in regulation all season.

In 41 games this season, Rafikov shares the team lead in points among blueliners with seven goals and 18 points and boasts the third highest plus/minus on the club with an impressive plus-29 rating.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crumpy-Gunt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent news. Flames really need a kid like this in their pipeline - mean defencemen.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
I think something similar happened with David Musil. Born in Calgary, but holds Czech Citizenship and as he was declared to play with the Czech National Team he technically became an import. He also had dual citizenship and lived both in Czech and Canada.

I believe Selanne falls under the same rule as while he has North American citizenship, he is technically a foreign player (i.e. will not play for Canada or the USA in international tournaments) and has residence outside of the USA.
Sorry, know this isn't the topic of the thread, but I'm still curious about this. I still think Selanne would not be an import, because unlike Musil (He played minor hockey in Czech Republic), he played all his minor hockey in California. The feeder league for Major junior for California is the WHL, so you think he would be allowed to be apart of that system? Plus he is a protected player already for the Hitmen I thought, and we've already established you need to be picked in the import draft if you're an import, which I'm positive Selanne never was a part of.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rafikov may come to the CHL next year

I know in the ohl a team was able to get a player selected in the import draft labelled as a non import to his dad being Canadian or having a home in Canada or something. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: http://loosepucks.com/index.php/2011...eclared?blog=3

Last edited by PeteMoss; 02-11-2014 at 10:45 PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be a smart move by Rafikov, and I would like to see it.

He has good size and plays a physical game. He looked pretty good in the WJ tryout squad games (whatever they were called) and a year in junior is the way to show where his game is at.

I think there is some potential here. A year in the WHL and a WJ tourney, and maybe we have us another decent prospect.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #30
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, getting a player acclimated to NA hockey is usually a good thing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #31
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Serious question: Is he good enough to warrant a selection in the import draft? I would think there are many skilled Europeans looking for a chance in NA and only a few spots opening up from year to year.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Serious question: Is he good enough to warrant a selection in the import draft? I would think there are many skilled Europeans looking for a chance in NA and only a few spots opening up from year to year.
If an NHL team takes a chance on him, a CHL team will likely do so as well.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #33
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I think you overestimate the competition for those euro spots. He would definitely get picked IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #34
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do the Hitmen have room?

I am assuming Padakin turns pro in the AHL/ECHL or Europe and the Hitmen keep Fazleev.

Do they have another European waiting to join the team next year?
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #35
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rafikov may come to the CHL next year

Not officially. The only two import picks from the last two years are Padakin and Fazeleev.

As mentioned before, not sure how Eetu Selanne gets classified but he could potentially be an import.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #36
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any more rumours/news about Rafikov potentially coming over?
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #37
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

FYI: The Import Draft is the Wednesday after the NHL Draft.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 AM   #38
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Send him out here, this place is like an NHL dman factory. Wonder how quick he'll go in the import draft.

Myers, Keith, Weber, Schenn, Edler, Gorges, Barrie, Hannan and 3 or 4 drafted dmen on the current roster - I dunno any other CHL teams that have so many current NHL dmen of such a high calibre. Every one except Hannan came through under Ryan Huska as well. Guy knows how to train young defencemen.

Last edited by Matty81; 05-25-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

update:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...d=rss-peterson

Quote:
Craig [Conroy] has been working hard to get him here for development camp," Treliving explained. "There is a visa issue, he’s having a visa issue to get into the country. To be perfectly honest, I haven’t checked on that in a few days. We’re hopeful to get him here in July."

There is also a chance that Rafikov heads to North America full-time in fall. The Russian is eligible in the CHL Import Draft, held on July 2, and if selected, he could land on a WHL, OHL, or QMJHL roster in September.

"There is always an opportunity, potentially, for him coming over," Treliving stated. "That hasn’t been a focus right now. But we’ll hopefully get him here for development camp.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #40
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If he is passed up at the CHL draft, can he play in the AHL?