Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Armstrong Assigned From Calgary (qc Pr)

ARMSTRONG ASSIGNED FROM CALGARY
Rookie Center Added to Quad City Roster

For Immediate Release
Friday, October 31, 2008

Moline, IL- The Quad City Flames announced today that center John Armstrong has been assigned from the Calgary Flames. The rookie center will be eligible to play beginning tonight when the Flames travel to Peoria.

Armstrong spent four years in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) with the Plymouth Whalers and Peterborough Petes before beginning his professional career. Last season, he established career bests in goals (21), assists (36) and points (56) while skating in 65 games with the Petes. During his junior career, the 6-foot-2 center appeared in 243 OHL games and recorded 158 points (60 goals and 98 assists). He was selected by Calgary in the third round (87th overall pick) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

The Flames visit Peoria tonight. Game time is 7:00 p.m. The Hayman’s Ace Hardware Pre-Game Show can be heard on 93.9 FM WYEC beginning at 6:35 p.m. Fans can watch the game for just $6.00 via ahllive.com.

Quad City hosts the Manitoba Moose on Saturday at 7:05 p.m. It’s Presidential Election Night. The first 1,500 fans will receive a mask featuring the Presidential Candidate of their choice. Cheer cards of the Vice Presidential Candidates will also be available. Local politicians will be on hand to meet fans. After the game, fans are invited down to the ice for the first post-game skate of the season. Tickets are available at the i wireless Center Box Office, via phone at (563) 326-1111 or on-line at ticketmaster.com. -30-

Flames Fever…it’s spREDing!

For Information Contact:
Aaron Roof
Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations
o: (309) 764-7825

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally forgot that he was injuried. Should be interesting to see what he can do in his first year pro. From what I remember from the preseason/training camp he looked good.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

I've been hyping this kid up since the prospects tourney. It likely will take this season for him to become acclimated to the professional game although it appears that Wilson is performing well under similar circumstances.

He'll be a good two-way player that will add depth. I'd equate his potential impact to Rene Bourque's for Calgary. Armstrong will hopefully be a guy that can kill penalties, check hard, and occasionally score the odd goal.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darryl Sutter said that John Armstrong had a very strong chance of sticking with the team at training camp when everyone was focusing on Backlund. Should be interesting to see how he does in QC.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two games, and I totally love this kid! (Actually, it only took Friday night in Peoria....) He zips and has better puck-handling skills than some of our older players.

He and Wilson make this team fun to watch! Our vets need to get their heads into the game....
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote