Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:
Default Tremblay to CHL

As per QC email:

Tremblay sent to Wichita of the Central Hockey League.

I didn't understand why he was signed in the first place. Possibly some miscommunication between Calgary and QC? Sutter signs Vandermeer for toughness and a veteran presence and then QC signs Tremblay.

I know of the potential tie in between the Mallards and the QC Flames but it seems like giving a guy a contract just because he played for the Mallards wasn't money well spent.

Last edited by Tilley; 10-29-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

hmmm. weird move indeed. sure won't go over well with the fans.

i didn't think he looked too bad out there. but with vandermeer around, he is as needed.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There were only a couple of weeks between the two signings...who really knows what was going on?

This is a great move for Tremblay. He was a healthy scratch in QC....now he'll get ice time and someone to work with him. Brent Bilodeau coached for the Wranglers before going to Wichita this season, so he knows the system. Bilodeau also was a tough guy who was kinda in Tremblay's situation, moving around quite a bit, and can help him develop. In the meantime, he can help the Thunder.

I don't think we've seen the last of Tremblay. He'll be around if we need him....
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dobbles I think that he stuck out like a sore thumb. Hes better than he was last time he was here. I also thought the contract was under Calgarys belt not qc's
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Tilley

Exp:

Quote:
The Quad City Flames announced today that defenseman Dan Spang and right wing Jonathan Tremblay have been signed to AHL contracts. Both players spent the 2007-08 season with the AHL’s Worcester Sharks.
My understanding was that the signing was similar to the Kolanos contract last season. The owners brought him in and were responsible for paying his salary. Calgary was probably aware that the QC owners wanted to sign Tremblay, but McGill's loyalty is to Calgary and playing the guys that Sutter wants in the lineup.

Last edited by Tilley; 10-29-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe Sutter signed him because he couldn't draft him? Strange move.
________
Recall Depakote

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 05-15-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
My understanding was that the signing was similar to the Kolanos contract last season. The owners brought him in and were responsible for paying his salary. Calgary was probably aware that the QC owners wanted to sign Tremblay, but McGill's loyalty is to Calgary and playing the guys that Sutter wants in the lineup.
UGH... Can they take Spang too?

I didnt mind Tremblay as a tough guy but really a waste of bench.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

not to go too off topic, but i do worry about spang. i hope he isn't ramholt/hambly version 2.0
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
This from today's QC Times that Hoody has posted....

Quote:
McGill said Tremblay remains Calgary’s AHL property and could be resummoned if needed.
Sure sounds like it's a Calgary deal....
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Tilley

Exp:

If he signed a deal with the QC, he would still be under contract with the QC team even if he was sent to Russia. Like Nilson and Eriksson, they are not with the big team, but the team still pays their salaries.

Because he signed an AHL deal with the QC, he would have to be traded or "loaned" to another AHL team if he wanted to play for another AHL team.

Tremblay remains Calgary's AHL property because the owners of the QC have signed a contract for this year for his services.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

I'm of the mind that he brings more to the team than Aki does. Disappointed he got sent down, but I won't be surprised to see #34 back up in QC at some point this season ... especially after Jesse Bowl-of-Rice takes a few cheapshots.

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
Tilley

Exp:

Aki is a huge disappointment to me. He's got all the tools, he just can't seem to put it together.

The last year while in Omaha McGill would put Aki out on the powerplay and they would continually feed him the puck for a one-timer. He never connected. Ever. He must have had 10-15 opportunities and fanned on every single one.

I doubt Aki gets another contract. Cracknell on the other hand has surprised me. I always knew about the offensive ability, but hopefully he has developed enough defensively to stick in the AHL.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cracknell was zipping around and hitting last night quite a bit....I was actually surprised that I noticed him so much!

Aki, on the other hand, just sort of disappears....
Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
QCsec113
Draft Pick

wranglers

Aki gets very few minutes i really only notice him out there on penalty kill situations.
Tremblay was never going to be anything but an enforcer here and part time at that i agree that he was a waste of bench space.
Cracknell is turning into one of my favorite players he does seem to be 'getting it' as far as him knowing that he needs to put that extra effort in to stay up here.
And I have to agree with you guys on Spang!!He is terrible with the puck and why the hell does he get so much ice time!?!?!?!It seems like everytime you look up he is back out there and somehow he had the most shots for us last night!!!!This guy is going to be driving us crazy all year i think!
QCsec113 is offline   Reply With Quote