Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I wouldn't buy domestic new due to the massive depreciation. You're better off spending a bit more for an import that won't be worth $0.30 on the dollar in 5 years.

That can also be a positive if you are a used car buyer. In short let someone else eat the depreciation.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Might as well go for the SRT instead of the limited. The local dealership came looking to buy my truck off me so after I stated my selling price I just purchased one of these. Only had it for a week but so far it's been so much fun. Probably the best value/sport suv out there. Not sure what winter is going to be like but I don't have much of a commute to work.
The SRT's are quite expensive comparably though. Something like 70 - 80k?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #23
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

True they are but when u compare them to similar vehicle in their class they are 30k-60k cheaper
spetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
CRV and Forrester have CVT tranny. Make sure you like how they behave before buying them.
Sorry, I'm not really a car person, but can you expand on this?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
I find them a little choppy for my liking but once you're used to them they're great.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really like the CVT in our Subaru Impreza. It is ridiculously efficient with cruise set on the highway, and it's nice not to have the shift kerthunk. I use the paddles more often than I thought I would for "downshifting" when necessary, or when I want to have fun.

The only drawback is it has a slight delay when you step on it. Shifting into "first" fixes that though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really like the CVT in our Subaru Impreza. It is ridiculously efficient with cruise set on the highway, and it's nice not to have the shift kerthunk. I use the paddles more often than I thought I would for "downshifting" when necessary, or when I want to have fun.

The only drawback is it has a slight delay when you step on it. Shifting into "first" fixes that though.
As much as I moan about it, I drive a domestic (Jeep) which I love, with CVT and I do not use the shifting option. I really dont want that to break and I figure if I use it I'll let the magic out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half the time I use it is out of slothly lazyness. If I am coming to a red light I can flick the paddles with my fingers to downshift, and never have to move my foot from the gas to the brake pedal if the light changes in time.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #29
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
CVT has no gears so you won't get the rev up, gear up then rev down sensation during acceleration. At it's worse, it drives like a larger golf cart but I've heard that the latest implementation form some manufacturers has lessen this effect.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #30
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Hello everyone. So since my SUV (2008 ford escape) was written off from the hail storms at the beginning of August I am exploring buying a new one. I told myself I would never buy a car from a Dealer but I have sort of waned on that and feel like I cctually want to buy a new one this go around.

I haev been looking at the 2015 Ford Edge Sport, and may go test drive one this afternoon just to see how it feels.

Anyone have any suggestions for other vehicles I should try out? I am open to all idea, but looking for something "sporty".

Also if I were to go for a used 2013/2014 anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
We're driving our 2nd Volvo XC60. Excellent car, great styling, good power and handling, and honestly for the extra $10 to $15K over a loaded up Edge Sport, you are getting a vastly superior amount of vehicle. Not to mention that they hold their value on resale like a mo'fo'. We sold our 2011 for 67% of original purchase price 3.5 years after we had purchased it.
This thread is so Calgarypuck lol. "For only $15k more look how much better of a vehicle you can have". How can he lose!!!

Then by page two the discussion in a thread with a dude who's looking at a Ford SUV has gone from $30k to $45k to $60k to $80k vehicles in about 20 posts.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #31
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Might as well go for the SRT instead of the limited. The local dealership came looking to buy my truck off me so after I stated my selling price I just purchased one of these. Only had it for a week but so far it's been so much fun. Probably the best value/sport suv out there. Not sure what winter is going to be like but I don't have much of a commute to work.
Quote:
Quote:
True they are but when u compare them to similar vehicle in their class they are 30k-60k cheaper
This was my favorite interaction.

"Might as well go for the SRT".

"But aren't they like $70 - $80k?"

"Sure, but it's like 30 - 60k cheaper than similar luxury priced vehicles. I mean you could easily be paying $140k for a similar vehicle so consider yourself lucky I steered you towards a vehicle that's only $50k over your budget".
Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^A new ford versus a few years old XYZ make levels things out pretty quickly.

EDIT: I assumed his budget was ~40k considering he's looking at a new Edge.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #33
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That's cheaper than I would have thought. It's the Range Rover that's their more expensive line? I haven't researched yet - my next vehicle is 1.5 years away...
Yeah, much less than the Range Rover, which will run up to $100k or perhaps more. Quite a bit smaller, and I wasn't too sure about a 2.4 litre engine, but still quite nice.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This thread is so Calgarypuck lol. "For only $15k more look how much better of a vehicle you can have". How can he lose!!!

Then by page two the discussion in a thread with a dude who's looking at a Ford SUV has gone from $30k to $45k to $60k to $80k vehicles in about 20 posts.
1% ballers
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #35
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

The best words of wisdom I heard when I came into the car business is, "You'll never know what your car truly costs, until you dispose of it."

If you pay $25,000 for a car you get $10,000 for in 5 years.

Or $35,000 for a car you get $22,000 for in 5 years.

Which car was really the cheaper one?

There is certainly examples this extreme out there, and even worse. The original sticker is just a small part of the equation. Buy one Korean car in your lifetime, and you will learn this lesson. At least with certain domestics, like full size trucks, you are safe. SUV's and cars? Imports are well worth the price long term.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #36
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
The best words of wisdom I heard when I came into the car business is, "You'll never know what your car truly costs, until you dispose of it."

If you pay $25,000 for a car you get $10,000 for in 5 years.

Or $35,000 for a car you get $22,000 for in 5 years.

Which car was really the cheaper one?

There is certainly examples this extreme out there, and even worse. The original sticker is just a small part of the equation. Buy one Korean car in your lifetime, and you will learn this lesson. At least with certain domestics, like full size trucks, you are safe. SUV's and cars? Imports are well worth the price long term.
Expected time of ownership is also important here. If you are the type to buy a car and drive it into the ground (10+ years and 200k+ km) then cheaper domestics may still come out cheaper... Dropping a car off at the reyclers vs selling it on kijiji to a kid for $2,000 won't make up the $15K difference between some cars.

However, your example certainly holds true for some, shorter-ownership timelines.

I also disagree with a lot of the "imports better than domestic' lines in here that have 2 decades of senility to their logic train. I'll as you - What is the most american made car?

Answer?

The Toyota Camry. Bet you didn't know that.

It has nothing to do with 'domestic / import' but a lot to do with the specific car and where it is produced and it's historical failure rate. People who "only buy toyota because Japanese is t3h win" live by a pretty blind, dated rule. These cars are all made by third party suppliers and the same robots. The failure rates now between most brands is pretty much delta-zero.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I would have got the Q5 last time, but their refusal to bargain at all forced me to pass. It is a great ride. What is the price on the LRDS?
Buy it out of BC. Drive it back. Only way you're saving on an Audi. Zero discounts in Calgary.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #38
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Further to my point - in a global study Chevy and Ford are in the Top 7 on the reliability index.

Who's below them?

- Lexus
- Subaru
- VW
- All German Brands

So really most Japanese/Korean and American brands are very close (Chrysler is a bit behind).

The Germans are still a statistical deviation behind in terms of lower reliability.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #39
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What constitutes "buying" these days anyways?

Say you pay the minimum lease payment over the 3 year term then return it when the lease is up.

Is that really considered buying? To me it doesn't. Its renting since you don't technically own anything but some would say they "bought" a new (insert luxury brand) car.

(insert lease vs finance argument here!)

To answer the OP's question, we got a 1 yr old used Toyota Highlander last year and it has been great for us. It's our primary family vehicle used for road trips, camping, etc. Lots of space for us, our baby, and our big furry beast of a dog.

We also looked at the Santa Fe, MDX, Edge, and Pathfinder but liked the Highlander the best overall.

Good luck with your search. Buying a new car is fun.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #40
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
What constitutes "buying" these days anyways?

Say you pay the minimum lease payment over the 3 year term then return it when the lease is up.

Is that really considered buying? To me it doesn't. Its renting since you don't technically own anything but some would say they "bought" a new (insert luxury brand) car.

(insert lease vs finance argument here!)

To answer the OP's question, we got a 1 yr old used Toyota Highlander last year and it has been great for us. It's our primary family vehicle used for road trips, camping, etc. Lots of space for us, our baby, and our big furry beast of a dog.

We also looked at the Santa Fe, MDX, Edge, and Pathfinder but liked the Highlander the best overall.

Good luck with your search. Buying a new car is fun.
Yeah, now a days most people justify just permanently renting vehicles so they can have something newish all the time. It's a very odd line of thinking, but I totally get how people get themselves there and justify it.

Usually it's because most people have got to the point where they will always have car payments and then they take the next step of saying "Well, if I always have car payments then I might as well always have a new vehicle with those payments rather than paying something off and owning it."

Again, the reasoning doesn't make a ton of sense from a financial standpoint because obviously the idea that you should always have a car payment is flawed and usually comes more from reasoning yourself into having a nice vehicle than actual financial reasoning, but I digress.