Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Best place to buy television in Calgary/Online

So,

I am in the market for a new television, and was wondering if the CP brain trust had any thoughts on good places to make the purchase. I know Bestbuy/Futureshop or other big box stores will obviously sell them

However was there any lesser known locations in the city or online that people had positive experiences with?

Thanks,

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find you can get the best deals at big box stores because anyone will price match nowadays.

A lot of times they'll sweeten the deal too if you ask.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memory Express and Costco.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally really like Costco for electronics.
Wherever you go, check the price here and have them price match if applicable. (Costco doesn't price match, but they usually don't have to)
http://www.shopbot.ca/
JonDuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Memory Express and Costco.
I avoid Costco for things like that. Best Buy will usually have a couple guys working who actually know their stuff if you have questions, whereas Costco folks usually don't.

Again, Best Buy will match anyone's price, plus I find you get good service at places like that. Call it peace of mind I guess.

I don't like buying my TV at the same place I can buy ladders, strawberries, kitchen cabinets and tires.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Costco because I know what I want going in, can grab it without getting hassled or having some stock kid spend 20 minutes in the back not finding my TV, and If I don't like some aspect of it I can take it back, no problem.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Best Buy will usually have a couple guys working who actually know their stuff if you have questions, whereas Costco folks usually don't.
What mythical Best Buy is this?

TV's I couldn't care less what a 16 year old kid on the sales floor can read off the spec card. I'll spend months researching and I already know what I want, get in, buy it, get out.

Are you looking for somewhere with the best price? Or product knowledge. If you're looking to go check out TVs and ask a ton of questions, go to KW or Sounds of Music.

If you're looking for best price, your answers are already in the thread, but I'll add London Drugs to the list. Everybody forgets about London Drugs.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go on Red Flag Deals > Hot Deals > Electronics/TVs filter and see if anyone has current sales that match your needs.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the consensus on Visions? I like supporting the local guy.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memory Express worked out well for me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.bestwaytv.ca/

In business for almost 60 years. Flames supporters and I think they supply the Saddledome.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I just bought a TV from them about a month ago, and had a very positive experience.

First off all their product knowledge was much better than any kid at best buy -- I wanted to compare a few specific sets and they had them all on display and had the answer (or found the answer) to all my questions.

Secondly, when it came time to buy, I haggled on the price and they were very willing to play ball to make a deal. I don't think you can do that at most of the big box stores.

If you're in the market you should certainly check them out. I will also add, if you get their extended warranty, it becomes an in store credit in the same amount if you don't end up using it over the warranty period.

For some reason I never had the best impression of Visions previously, but this was a good buying experience.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 09-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've bought a couple TVs from there. The first one - I knew what I wanted as far as features and they were able to get me a price I was good with and a model I am still very happy with to this day.

The other was a Black Friday sale and it was one of the killer deals.

I've been happy but I understand how some people may not like dealing with the commissioned salespeople. I just try to make sure I know what features I want, what the prices are for that range of TVs, set a price and then go get the best one I can get for that price. If they can't find something that fits - walk away (once, years ago at SoundSurround while looking at a centre channel speaker, I had a salesman chase me down in the parking lot and give me the price I wanted after I walked out. Don't berate or belittle the sales people but don't feel guilty to leave. You have a choice, they have a choice.)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Best place to buy television in Calgary/Online

Just don't pay sticker at Visions.

When I got my Panasonic plasma it was the only place in the city that had one BNIB and they matched the price of the demo model at MemEx. Forgot about that until now.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #15
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Visions is the best, come in and check out the great *cough* prices!

Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Visions is the best, come in and check out the great *cough* prices!
How does Visions stay in business when Future Shops have folded?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They didn't fold. Bestbuy converted most, closed the rest. Got tired of competing with themselves. Often in the same mall.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #18
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can deal with the greasiness, Visions is the best place to buy AV stuff. Just be hard line on a deep discount and they'll sell it to you just to move the unit out. I just bought some home theatre stuff myself and couldn't believe how deep a discount the guy gave me.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
If you can deal with the greasiness, Visions is the best place to buy AV stuff. Just be hard line on a deep discount and they'll sell it to you just to move the unit out. I just bought some home theatre stuff myself and couldn't believe how deep a discount the guy gave me.
When you know they can see you, stand in front of the TV you want and whip out your phone to browse for cheaper prices elsewhere. Gives you tremendous leverage in getting a discount, but watch them like a hawk at the cashier. Twice now they've "accidentally" put in a higher price or cheaper product than what was discussed on the floor.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #20
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I used to not like Visions, however when buying two new TVs in the last few months, they were the place I went for one of the TVs. Very positive experience, and yes, got them to knock the price down quite a bit.

The other place to look at is Superstore. That's where I bought my latest big TV. They had a sale, plus double no GST, so I got it way below anywhere else. Their selection is quite limited, so you do have to luck out in them having the model you want. However for me I was still buying 1080p TVs as opposed to 4K; with the intention that I would buy these now and wait for 4K to come down, and for broadcast content to become available.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: