Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Cut out alcohol. Yesterday was day 100 without alcohol, and I'd estimate that I've dropped 5-10 lbs as a result. Combine that with the exercise regime I've been doing and I'm probably in the best shape of my life.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #42
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Since Feb. 1 I've lost 18 lbs essentially using this app I downloaded for my phone:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Counting calories can be a pain in the arse, but this app makes it really easy - it has a massive database of foods and even has a bar code scanner to record the nutritional information of what you're eating. If you don't have much time to exercise, this makes it really easy to know how much you're taking in on any given day.

May not be the solution for everyone but it's worked for me.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
The zero carb thing is a bunch of bull####. Your body needs carbs as a energy source, of you don't have any it's going too start eating your muscles for energy and deprive your body of protein. What you need to do is watch your carb intake. Eat them early, because you burn energy during the day and at night you don't use that energy.

Eat oats, sprouted grain bread, brown rice. Try to get most of your carbs from veggies. Best thing too do is pre plan your meals, cook them for the week and put them in containers.

Get yourself s good protein powder, of you get hungry make a shake as a snack, or be creative and make protein brownies.
Actually you can get energy just from high protein with very minimal carb foods - called Ketogenesis. The key is instead of eating carbs you replace with it very high fatty foods such as fish, bacon, cheese, yogurt, daily, coconut oil.. a variety of different kinds of fats. Again, obviously this is a bit extreme, but a lot people I know who are bodybuilders follow this diet when they are in their cutting phase.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Cut out alcohol. Yesterday was day 100 without alcohol, and I'd estimate that I've dropped 5-10 lbs as a result. Combine that with the exercise regime I've been doing and I'm probably in the best shape of my life.
But at what cost man?!?!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

You have time for exercise. Get a chin up bar that you can put in a door frame. Use that. Do squats, pushups, and chipups. Or go for a short run. Even 20 minutes a day of exercise or running and you'll start to see a noticeable difference in muscle tone. The more muscle you have, the greater your metabolism will be. Boosting your metabolism will make it even easier for you to see a difference from cutting calories.

You'll also be surprised how quickly the difference will occur. Going from a state of doing nothing to making moderate changes in your diet and 20 minutes of exercise a day will make a world of difference.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #46
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
But at what cost man?!?!
Actually I've saved quite a bit of money, and it's pretty awesome to go out and party with five girls on Thursday night and not have a hangover the next day.

I officially go on record stating that a virgin mojito is better than a real one.

I made it to my goal of 100, so I'm having a drink this evening, and then going to buy a pack of beer because I do miss beer.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #47
kermitology

Exp:

Join this: https://www.facebook.com/events/411608848869290/ and do burpees every day.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #48
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

You sound like a family guy. So for the sake of your family, get some exercise.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
None of what he said has anything to do with that. If you are massively overweight and unhealthy simple things will result in large weight loss. If you're looking to drop the last 10 lbs you're going to need to make very different choices to do so.
Ok I finally see here what happened. I was responding to his claim that "if really want to get results you need to go gluten free"
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Notorious Honey Badger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #50
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Are you able to do your commute by cycling? That's two guaranteed workouts a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtofuhr86 View Post
the dilemma I have is that I work in Fort Mac, commute back and forth, work 12 to 14 hour days,
Based on that, I'm going to assume biking isn't an option.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I officially go on record stating that a virgin mojito is better than a real one.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #52
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

#jerf

Just eat real food.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Skipping breakfast every day and going on fast regimens are different things
I know that too, never said they were the same.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freedogger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #54
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
The zero carb thing is a bunch of bull####. Your body needs carbs as a energy source, of you don't have any it's going too start eating your muscles for energy and deprive your body of protein. What you need to do is watch your carb intake. Eat them early, because you burn energy during the day and at night you don't use that energy.

Eat oats, sprouted grain bread, brown rice. Try to get most of your carbs from veggies. Best thing too do is pre plan your meals, cook them for the week and put them in containers.

Get yourself s good protein powder, of you get hungry make a shake as a snack, or be creative and make protein brownies.
This is easy enough to do until you try to be social. That's where most diets fall down. What do you do when your mother in law worked all day for that Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fathers day dinner? What do you do when you go out with work colleagues. Dieting is lame. You need to get a program that is flexible across a lot of situations.

Another thing, age is a huge factor. A lot of the stuff like don't drink beer works until age 30 or so. Then even that is not enough for most.

Last edited by freedogger; 04-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #55
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
This is easy enough to do until you try to be social. That's where most diets fall down. What do you do when your mother in law worked all day for that Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fathers day dinner? What do you do when you go out with work colleagues. Dieting is lame. You need to get a program that is flexible across a lot of situations.

Another thing, age is a huge factor. A lot of the stuff like don't drink beer works until age 30 or so. Then even that is not enough for most.
It's ok to have the occasional meal away from a "diet". Not allowing yourself any freedom is also where "diets" fail.

I'm on Weight Watchers and the principal is simple. You get "x" number of points per day based on your current weight. Each point is give or take 50 calories. Then you get another 49 points (approx 2450 calories) as weekly points that you get to consume during the week. These weekly points are for the exact scenarios you described above.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #56
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh, good. I'm still on the front page when I google myself.
http://www.emckanata.ca/20110721/new...'+for+2010

When people ask me how I lost the weight, I show them this video that I keep on my iPad:

When you say you don't have time for exercise, you must REALLY, REALLY mean it. Because I have had numerous conversations with people who tell me that they don't have the time and then tell me about all the weight loss tips they got off watching "Biggest Loser" and "Dr. Oz". IF YOU HAD TIME TO WATCH TV, THEN YOU HAD TIME TO EXERCISE. It's all a matter of priorities. In the cases of the people I have been talking to, they put watching others lose weight ahead of their own weight loss. But I tell people that you either sacrifice the time now, or you sacrifice the time later.

And I second using Loseit or a similar app to keep track of your foods and exercise. It mentions in the article that I was "writing" down my foods. Actually, I was using Loseit... and I've gotten a fair number of people to start using it. If you don't have an iDevice to use, you can just go to loseit.com and start tracking there.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #57
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Lowering calories by crash dieting or skipping meals like breakfast is one of the worst things you can do because your metabolism goes down and your body goes into starvation mode and will basically go into a fat storing mode instead of burning anything off.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #58
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Lowering calories by crash dieting or skipping meals like breakfast is one of the worst things you can do because your metabolism goes down and your body goes into starvation mode and will basically go into a fat storing mode instead of burning anything off.
Everything you just wrote down is strong broscience. Read this:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #59
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Everything you just wrote down is strong broscience. Read this:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
I perused this when you quoted this guy before, and I'm really not seeing how his claims are any more substantiated than a lot of the fad diets out there. He appears to wildly cite studies here and there as some sort of mishmash of science.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hehehe, wow, someone just dusted off their 1970's physiology book.

Long term low caloric intake will indeed slow metabolism. Skipping one or two meals will not. What good would it do any organism to lower it's metabolism right when it needs it in order to find more food?