Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2023, 06:20 PM   #41
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I gave my wife a PG photo shoot for her 48th birthday. She loved it.
Cmon, be honest, that present was for you
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:43 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are into games and what not, dinner and a fun time at Rec Room can be a hoot.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #43
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm doing some research on this type of stuff as well Christmas gifts etc. Here are a few things that caught my eye so far:

Do a photo portrait session...but with tin type/photo tech from 100+ years ago.
https://www.tintype.ca

Build an acoustic Guitar at Blackforest (should be right up your alley surferguy!):
https://blackforestwood.com/products...-finish-wood-1

Indoor skydiving at iFly.
https://iflyworld.ca

Take an ice-cream/gelato making class, at Made by Marcus, and/or Righteous Gelato
https://www.righteousgelato.com/coll...gelato-academy

Interactive tour at Yamnuska Wolf Dog sanctuary:
https://www.yamnuskawolfdogsanctuary...teractive-tour

I have done zero of these things, so no idea if they are any good.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 11:29 AM   #44
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My budget is tight. I don’t mind spending a bit for an overnight somewhere as an example but we just returned home from a lengthy overseas trip so I don’t have a heap of extra money laying around.

So maybe 1 or 2 bigger nights out and 3/4 date nights planned. We haven’t had much for date nights over the last few years as our kids are younger. So it would be nice to take my wife out again.
If you haven't before, a Chinese Hot Pot is heaps of fun. Well priced too.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 12:27 PM   #45
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Interactive tour at Yamnuska Wolf Dog sanctuary:
https://www.yamnuskawolfdogsanctuary...teractive-tour

I have done zero of these things, so no idea if they are any good.
My wife and I have done this. It was quite a lot of fun. Keep in mind that even with the interactive part, you are not allowed to touch the wolfdogs. They may come up and sniff around/nuzzle you, but you are not allowed to initiate contact or pet one.

The only exception was during one part of the tour where we offered one a treat. You sit with your hand out, and if the wolfdog wants the treat, it comes and takes it from your palm.

It was quite an enjoyable tour/date though. I'd do it again.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 12:38 PM   #46
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always see the turn off towards the sanctuary when driving down 1A. I think this year, I might need to finally make a visit. It's good to hear that it's worth it...sometimes it's a bit hard to tell with these types of places.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 12:44 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the Dogsled tour as a Father's Day gift to my dad years and years ago and it was an absolute blast.

But...you kinda have to know what you're signing up for.

We never had dogs growing up. My dad grew up on a Farm and for him dogs were working animals and thats how he knew and treated them so that was all well and good.

For the rest of us though, its like: "Oh...look at the awesome dogs!!"

Nuh uh. These are not 'House Puppies.' These are working dogs and they are treated as such and respond as such. Not everyone can wrap their heads around that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:47 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working dogs or slave dogs?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:49 PM   #49
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, interesting, what's their compensation package like Locke?

I've been on a dog sled tour in Alaska as well, it was 1000x more humane that what was going on in Canmore.
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #50
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post

Rover is just crunching the numbers.

Quote:
I've been on a dog sled tour in Alaska as well, it was 1000x more humane that what was going on in Canmore.
To be fair, I have hard there is one very poorly regarded outfit in Canmore and one good one. I do not know which is which, or the validity of that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #51
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

There are at least three dog sled outfits in Canmore. It may be possible that Locke used a different one than you and had a better experience.

For what it's worth I've used Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours and didn't have any concerns. Google Reviews aren't everything, but they have a 4.7 average, Howling Dog Tours has a 4.4 and Mad Dogs & Englishmen is only a 3.6.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #52
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
My budget is tight. I don’t mind spending a bit for an overnight somewhere as an example but we just returned home from a lengthy overseas trip so I don’t have a heap of extra money laying around.

So maybe 1 or 2 bigger nights out and 3/4 date nights planned. We haven’t had much for date nights over the last few years as our kids are younger. So it would be nice to take my wife out again.
Polaroid/Instax photoshoot? Costs around $100 and maybe another $10-20 in refills.

Yes, you can do higher quality shots on a phone. Yes you can do even higher quality for a professional photoshoot. But there's something fun and truly nostalgic about whatever you get with Polaroids/Instax, especially for places you frequent regularly. Don't buy those mini printers to print phone pics. It's not the same.

But if you can get a Polaroid or Instax shot of each other playing arcade games, it just seems so much more interesting in a photo collage/shadow box with the receipts and stubs beside it than printed cell phone pics with no context.

TBH, for this, some of it, the dumber the better. Like sledding down a hill or at a sporting event, in front of your own house/old house/car, skating at a park, axe throwing, archery, paintball, cooking class, barista class, even just asking the kids to get some weird surprise shots of the two of you to add to the collage might be kind of neat and different. To perhaps see daily life in a slightly goofier and different context.

Just an idea to add on to the other ideas for experiences.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 03:47 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
There are at least three dog sled outfits in Canmore. It may be possible that Locke used a different one than you and had a better experience.

For what it's worth I've used Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours and didn't have any concerns. Google Reviews aren't everything, but they have a 4.7 average, Howling Dog Tours has a 4.4 and Mad Dogs & Englishmen is only a 3.6.
We did Snowy Owl as well and it was excellent.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-12-2023, 05:41 PM   #54
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We did Snowy Owl as well and it was excellent.
Another thumbs up for Snowy Owl but it was probably 5 or 6 years ago when we went.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:44 PM   #55
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So it was pretty cool going to a Hammam in Turkey, and your question made me look up whether we have a Turkish bath style spa in Calgary.

This place looks sufficiently weird/unique but I can't really tell what's going on. Seems like you can book it to use on your own, privately and it somehow combines wet and dry sauna with Karaoke? Like... wtf? But the people love it, flawless reviews. It does seem like you could book treatments in advance, but I think it would be pretty hilarious to try and do your own Hammams for each other in private, and then sing about it! Haha! https://aquariusspa.business.site/

This place on the other hand looks more traditional, has good reviews and offers different treatments/price points. https://hammamretreat.com/turkish-hammam/

The best part of hammam is getting scrubbed down and then they lay a big puffy cloud of bubbles all over your body and then just flood you with rinsing. Very cool and relaxing experience!
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
So it was pretty cool going to a Hammam in Turkey, and your question made me look up whether we have a Turkish bath style spa in Calgary.

This place looks sufficiently weird/unique but I can't really tell what's going on. Seems like you can book it to use on your own, privately and it somehow combines wet and dry sauna with Karaoke? Like... wtf? But the people love it, flawless reviews. It does seem like you could book treatments in advance, but I think it would be pretty hilarious to try and do your own Hammams for each other in private, and then sing about it! Haha! https://aquariusspa.business.site/

This place on the other hand looks more traditional, has good reviews and offers different treatments/price points. https://hammamretreat.com/turkish-hammam/

The best part of hammam is getting scrubbed down and then they lay a big puffy cloud of bubbles all over your body and then just flood you with rinsing. Very cool and relaxing experience!
Huh....Sauna and Karaoke? Hmm...I think I can skip that.

Sweaty Nude Karaoke? I think I'll pass.

I'm not one to kink-shame but I dont think that one is for me. I'm not even much of a fan of fully clothed Karaoke if I'm honest.

If he can get his wife to do it though....all the power to him.

Old 12-12-2023, 06:31 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright. Thats it.

Table5, Arsenal14 and TheIronMaiden....one of you needs to change your avatar.

I vote Arsenal14. Because Table's avatar is hilarious and I support Cavalry, so he loses out.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:32 PM   #58
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Must be the time of year, but I’ve been heavy on the Christmas lights ideas. Longview campground has pretty good set up of lights in a small town, cutsie kind of way. We’ve had a number of solid meals at Little New York Bistro and it’s rustic and different. I’m thinking you could drive out to Longview, catch a beauty sun set, go for dinner and then drive thru the Christmas lights before heading home.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:22 AM   #59
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alright. Thats it.

Table5, Arsenal14 and TheIronMaiden....one of you needs to change your avatar.

I vote Arsenal14. Because Table's avatar is hilarious and I support Cavalry, so he loses out.
I'm shocked that you think the gunners fan needs to change his avatar. Shocked.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:49 AM   #60
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Check out the Art Commons site to see what acts are coming through on there:
https://www.artscommons.ca/whats-on

Cooking classes can be fun, my wife and I went to the Raman making class here, surprisingly easy!
https://www.cookbookcooks.com/cooking-classes

Check out a Broadway Across Canada show
https://calgary.broadway.com/shows/

I REALLY want to try this - but it's a bit costly. Blacksmithing class, where you make and take home your own chef knife
https://www.blackcatmetal.com/bladesmithingclasses

Made by Marcus ice cream workshop - these sell out fast, sign up for their mailing list if you want to see when they are released, they use eventbrite for buying tickets.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/made-by-marcus-59169194223
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post: