Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 05:17 PM   #521
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's another angle of this somewhere, but a dude sent himself into TOW chair and didn't quite manage to stick the sitting

NSFW (but hilarious) language:
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 05:47 PM   #522
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Is that from the same storm that was projected to dump up to 12 feet of snow on the Sierra Nevadas? A quick look seems to show that isn't the same so does Utah get an even bigger dump in a day or two?
Seem to be a lot of places getting snowfall in the northern rockies and etc. I came through Bozeman and they got a foot, Big Sky was good the next day though the road was nightmare fuel. Drove out the next day in a moderate snowstorm through Yellowstone. Jackson Hole also got a bunch and Mammoth is supposed to get a lot too.

It's been pretty sunny and nice here in greater SLC the past couple of days, had a bluebird day with about 3-4 inches at snowbird earlier in the week. It really just started snowing hard this afternoon and is going to keep going until mid day tomorrow, followed by some lesser snowfalls through the week. A bunch of the cottonwood resorts closed early today for lightning so the road tomorrow is probably going to be a gong show but I'll be taking the shuttle so we'll see how it goes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 10:02 PM   #523
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitefish was dope a couple days ago, and Fernie yesterday,
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 06:39 PM   #524
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First tracks on 120 cm of fresh powder at Whistler today resulted in two full scorpions by me!

I didn’t even know powder this deep existed.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 AM   #525
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My nephew is up from Colorado for a weekend of skiing

Can't wait to spend some time with him

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM   #526
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My nephew is up from Colorado for a weekend of skiing

Can't wait to spend some time with him

I met a few people at Louise recently from Colorado who were out here skiing. They were amazed at how easy of a drive from Calgary to the hills was and how wide open the hills are.

I guess Denver is booming like crazy and the level of people skiing and heading to the mountains is bonkers.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:24 PM   #527
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I met a few people at Louise recently from Colorado who were out here skiing. They were amazed at how easy of a drive from Calgary to the hills was and how wide open the hills are.

I guess Denver is booming like crazy and the level of people skiing and heading to the mountains is bonkers.
I last skied in Colorado pre-pandemic, but even then it was nuts how busy it was.

I think there are two reasons.

1. There are 4.5 million people that live in the front ranges (Denver, fort collins, boulder) so 3x the people.

2. There are so many vacation homes at / near ski hills it makes weekends skiing so much easier. It's like if we had 20 Canmore's within 3 hrs of Calgary serving 10+ ski resorts. This means more people skiing multiple days on weekends.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:43 PM   #528
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having just returned from Utah, honestly I was impressed with how manageable the crowds were. Alta only has 5 lifts and the lines are always reasonable (granted, no snowboarders does decrease the traffic somewhat). Snowbird got a bit busier but by afternoon, everyone has spread out and it's ski straight onto the lift even in the Mineral Basin. Never had to wait more than maybe 3 minutes to get on a chair / gondola at Snowbasin. It was all very reasonable.

It's mostly just slow getting to and from the hill if you're driving up or down at the same time as the crowds. But even then, since the distance is so short (10 miles back to the city pretty much regardless of which of the 11 ski resorts you're going to) that it doesn't really matter that much.

Part of the problem with CO is that Denver to anywhere is a pretty solid drive.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 PM   #529
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunshine was freaking spectacular today. A whole day of epic powder and face shots of the like I have never seen before. My son and I had the best day ever.

From the scrape of last Wednesday to this, the transformation has been remarkable. One of my best ever visits back home. I never want to leave!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 10:43 AM   #530
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
I last skied in Colorado pre-pandemic, but even then it was nuts how busy it was.

I think there are two reasons.

1. There are 4.5 million people that live in the front ranges (Denver, fort collins, boulder) so 3x the people.

2. There are so many vacation homes at / near ski hills it makes weekends skiing so much easier. It's like if we had 20 Canmore's within 3 hrs of Calgary serving 10+ ski resorts. This means more people skiing multiple days on weekends.
Don’t forget ikon / epic pass. The Colorado resorts are unlimited resorts so locals go more frequently whereas in Calgary most people are paying $120 per day.

And with multipasses + cheap flights, there are way more skiers from the east travelling to Colorado for powder weeks.

Colorado also has multiple resorts feeding into a single highway to get back to Denver, so the end of day traffic really gets amplified too.

Last edited by Flames0910; 03-31-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:48 PM   #531
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Sniped a day trip to Island Lake Lodge yesterday after last weeks storm cycle.

That place is magical. Blows my mind that someone actually owns that land and doesn’t lease it. I highly recommend it if anyone gets the opportunity.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 11:48 AM   #532
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to Revy this weekend and it's supposed to rain all week... hoping there's at least something left on the hill.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:32 PM   #533
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm going to Revy this weekend and it's supposed to rain all week... hoping there's at least something left on the hill.
was just there, and we lucked into 6cm on Thursday, and then 11cm + 5cm during the day on Friday. It was still concrete underneath the powder. Everything below the top of the gondola wasn't skiable (but the last spike was open).

If it's nice and warm hopefully the upper mountain will soften up.

Sun Peaks before Revy was perfect spring skiing. Panorama after Revy was just like Revy but without any powder on top of the concrete-so no thaw to counteract the freeze.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:06 PM   #534
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

My nephew could not get over how empty the hill felt and how quick the lines were

he said 5-10 min lines are the norm at his hill

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: