Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #401
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, I thought this was a joke by depressed Puck fans. Man, Sutter is more than desperate, he's frickin' insane! Getting rid of Phaneuf without even getting back some first rounder picks? Time to get rid of Sutter!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #402
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt like someone shot my dog when I heard the news this morning...
Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #403
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
People, Phaneuf didn't get "run out of town." Come ON. You honestly think Sutter would trade him because of a few fans booing?

I know you're right, but as a big Dion fan I personally can't help but place some of the blame on how he has been treated this season by some of the masses out there. Logically I know Sutter wouldn't listen to any of this stuff but emotionally that's not what I'm feeling right now. I'm sure I'll come back to the logically side in a bit, but not at the moment. I'm pretty sure my biggest problem as a Flames fan is I get FAR to emotionally involved.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #404
themedicineman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just want to say that I'm really sad to see Dion go but I think it was time as he just wasn't getting it done here and a change of scenery could do him some good.

I now look at the players we got back and what I see is 4 tremendously hard working players. Ian White can run the pp with Gio or Bouwmeester on the other side plus he's a right handed shot which I really like. Hagman will be good and I can see him replacing Dawes effectively on that second line. Stajan seems to be a replacement for Conroy who very unfortunately seems to be on his last legs. Mayers will be a good addition to the fourth line instead of Mcgratton on most nights and he's an absolute beast on faceoffs.

A lot of people may be upset about this deal based solely on potential that may never be realized by Dion. I for one disagree with most and like this deal and can't wait to see if Sutter has something else up his sleave.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #405
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was shocked to hear this and very disappointed at first, as with most trades involving a core player. I talked to my dad who's a Leafs fan and told him about the trade, his reaction was not what I expected. He did not like the fact the Leafs moved Stajan, Hagman, or White. He is also not a big fan of Dion coming to the Leafs. It got me thinking, without my Flames glasses on, that these 3 players could really help this team win now. I'm upset we gave up Aulie more than anything and feel that the Leafs should have had to acquire and send a first round pick to the Flames but thems the breaks. Maybe now I can sit back and watch a team play more consistent hockey and maybe the core will step up and play like they should.

Stajan and Hagman step into our top 6 and push out guys like Lundmark and Dawes. I like both but at the end of the day neither is consistent enough to be in the top 6. White doesn't replace Phaneufs potential but he does replace his points. White is a player who wears his heart on his sleeve and this team could use more of that. Mayers...I hope he gets dumped in the AHL because he hasn't been effective in a long time.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #406
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Duha : You'd think the Flames would have got more quality
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #407
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
This is the worst trade Sutter has ever made and the best Burke has ever done. I'm absolutely shocked Sutter did this and it pisses me off to no end. I was not on the fire Sutter wagon until this deal came through, and I'm not even willing to see how it plays out...just fire him now. Hagman is probably the best player in the deal IMO. Stajan is a good third liner, White is a good 4th d-man, Mayers is a solid worker for the bottom two lines, but Phaneuf is simply having a bad year and we've seen what he can do. Why deal the guy now? And not gaining any top end youth for the future is really the upsetting part. If anything, Sutter should have insisted on Kaberle being sent the other way as a rental, but he gets a bag of pucks. I'm so pissed. Fack man, I don't know what to think. I'm losing my head.
And how much longer do you expect we can pay Giordano 1million a year. Gio shows he's been getting better every year. Gio will be up for a raise and we can't keep overspending on defence. Phaneuf has been on a downward spiral ever since Hammer left.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #408
Grunt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is unbelievable. I don't even know what to say. You don't trade 24 y/o stud defenceman. You just don't do it. It's like one of my friends said... it's like I'm playing NHL10 as Toronto, and I just offered Calgary a bunch of crap for a superstar, and they accepted. Unbelievable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #409
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boyd Stajan Iginla
Hagman Jokinen Lundmark (or Moss or Dawes)
Bourque Langkow Glencross (or Moss or Dawes)
Nystom Prust Mayers (McGratton or Conroy or Glencross)

Spares Conroy and Backlund.

Bouwmeester Giordano
White Regehr
Pardy Sarich (Johnson)

Got a lot lot deeper on paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #410
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

The funny thing is that most Flames fans are pissed, and most Toronto fans are as well. Must mean it was a fair trade.

Oh, and I need a new sig now.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #411
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

is this 100% the deal?

there aren't like 4 1st round picks going to the flames?!?!?!?!?

wow

all I can say is wow
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #412
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
And how much longer do you expect we can pay Giordano 1million a year.
One more year...since that is what his contract states.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #413
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

There goes my day. Fan960 broadcasting all day
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #414
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
The funny thing is that most Flames fans are pissed, and most Toronto fans are as well. Must mean it was a fair trade.

Oh, and I need a new sig now.
I think Leafs fans are pissed for a different reason: Boston has their (likely top-5) 1st-round pick.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #415
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems nobody likes this deal. Leafs fans are as unhappy as the people on here. I'm trying to look on the bright side myself.

a) Maybe White makes Reggie better?
b) Maybe Hagman clicks with Jokinen
c) Maybe there was a problem in the room that gets resolved?
d) Cap-space opens up next year now to add someone thats a better fit?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #416
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
is this 100% the deal?

there aren't like 4 1st round picks going to the flames?!?!?!?!?

wow

all I can say is wow
Says the dude with the handle "Diane Phaneuf."
The Following User Says Thank You to alltherage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #417
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone give me the status on the contracts of the guys we picked up today? Whose a UFA/RFA at the end of the season and who is still under contract after this year?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #418
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I would like to hear what those who adamantly said Sutter would never trade Phaneuf have to say.

This pretty much confirms that you NEVER take what Sutter says as the truth. Ever. He very firmly stated that Phaneuf would not be traed and he didn't know who was making up those rumors.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #419
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, I have an unframed Dion Phaneuf print that I don't need anymore (funny enough, normally I buy the framed season ticket holder gift - which is itself funny that I have to buy a season ticket holder gift, but whatever - but I had a feeling that a framed Dion print would end up in the same place as my framed Tanguay print).

Anyway, I have really been a big fan of Dion until pretty much this year. For $6.5M he makes too many mistakes, even for his age - and it does not look like he is going to be worth the money he is paid next year, or even the year after. I hope this change spurs Dion to be a better player than he is today. Right now, he makes too many lazy and stupid mistakes - stuff I don't know that you can coach away.

I don't know if the return is worthy of Dion, but I also think that Dion's salary limits what you get back for him. I would rather have had Toronto's draft picks from Boston, but having some extra offense this year is good. If Reggie returns to form as a result of this trade, then that also might be worth the trade.

I don't think you can judge this trade until the end of the season and how we do in the post season (if we can actually make it to the playoffs).
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #420
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cap space is useless.

Flames aren't getting Kovalchuk or anything of that calibre on the UFA market, they will get a bunch of pluggers - exactly what they need, right??

This is a horrible trade, Sutter got $0.20 on the dollar.

Couldn't even get a draft pick???????????????

We are all going to regret this move for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

This is worse than the Gilmour trade.
Closed Thread