Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #2861
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's 767 or A330 for the initial 4 airplane dry lease. Likely 767 at this point.
The first overweight 787's were an option that Boeing was pushing, but after a technical analysis were ruled out.

If this goes as planned, an order for new airplanes would be the next step, and likely 787's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #2862
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
It's 767 or A330 for the initial 4 airplane dry lease. Likely 767 at this point.
The first overweight 787's were an option that Boeing was pushing, but after a technical analysis were ruled out.

If this goes as planned, an order for new airplanes would be the next step, and likely 787's.
I've always liked the 767. I know I prefer the wide-body, especially on a long flight to Hawaii.....would never consider the 737 for that trip.

787 makes sense,state of the art...perfect size too.

Good choices IMO
Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #2863
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't see them straying from Boeing. It also seems like the 787 would be the ideal plane for WestJet since it fits their model of point-to-point flying and would work well connecting the average Canadian market with overseas destinations. Anything larger like the 777 and you're mostly limited to a select number of high-profile routes that you'd be directly competing against AC if not other carriers as well.

Likely they go 767 to start to get the ball rolling, but you'd have to think that if they're serious about acquiring wide body aircraft that they should be sending in an order for some dreamliners soon. Potential lost revenue in fuel costs and a higher average maintenance cost with lower economic life.

The real question is what routes they're going to start pushing? Do they go after Europe first? Asia? South America? The possibilities!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2864
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
The real question is what routes they're going to start pushing? Do they go after Europe first? Asia? South America? The possibilities!
My guess is they start with (After hawaii) the Carribbean/Mexico, then into Europe (they've already tapped into Dublin, so why not further in, I'm willing to bet they go into Gatwick or Stansted), then potentially onto Asia after that.

Again, pure speculation on my part...
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #2865
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many people today are saying they won't stray from Boeing and I simply don't understand. What have we seen from WestJet that suggests they won't buy the best airplane for the job at the best price? What have we seen from any major North American carrier that suggests this? It's a small dry lease. Straying from Boeing is irrelevant. You're training everybody on the new birds either way.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #2866
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not knowing enough, but is there some sort of overlap on Boeing products?

Does having trained people on a 737 give them a similar training level on a 767?

What about parts and maintenance?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #2867
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some stuff might end up being familiar, but they still have to do a full course. FA's and personnel need to be trained on twin aisle ops. A bunch of Encore AME's were in our building at SAIT doing a full Q400 course; some had experience on the Dash 8 already... and that's a newer iteration of the same airplane.

Damn near nothing on these newer airplanes is interchangeable.

A spotter on SSP has found a fantastic spot between the two runways, at a new taxiway bridge that goes over McCall Way.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #2868
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch your head.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2869
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with you Acey, that there is no dominant reason to only consider Boeing and rule out Airbus. As you say, a full initial course needs to be done regardless. If the A330 was the best airplane for the job, then it would be selected.

Having said that, airbus operating philosophy is significantly different. Going from the NG's to the 767 wouldn't be a dramatic difference, whereas the transition to an airbus for most of the pilot group would be much greater. And just like anything in life, the greater the difference the more time it would take to achieve the same level of knowledge and understanding. So it would make a 767 more desirable from that standpoint.

I think the biggest advantage the 767 has is likely that it is the right size for what is wanted right now. If 4 good condition 767's are available at the right price, then it makes the most sense. But it all depends on cost and condition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #2870
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Having said that, airbus operating philosophy is significantly different. Going from the NG's to the 767 wouldn't be a dramatic difference, whereas the transition to an airbus for most of the pilot group would be much greater. And just like anything in life, the greater the difference the more time it would take to achieve the same level of knowledge and understanding. So it would make a 767 more desirable from that standpoint.
That is why I think its more likely to be Boeing. Learning the A330 then learning the 787(if they order it) is bit of work. If they end up ordering the A350 however, then that is a different story.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #2871
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of pics from the "new" old spot:

WestJet Encore DHC-8 402 (C-FKWE) by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

WestJet 737-76N (C-GWSH) by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

Condor 767-330ER (D-ABUZ) by BigtimeYYC, on Flickr

Last edited by Bigtime; 07-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #2872
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe its the wrong thread but does anyone know if the shrink wrapping service at YYC open? I have to travel with my young one and we have a larger stroller so will need to send that as luggage and figured it would be easier to have it wrapped.

If no anyone know of where to wrap something like that or would just putting it all in a hockey bag be a better idea?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #2873
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Maybe its the wrong thread but does anyone know if the shrink wrapping service at YYC open? I have to travel with my young one and we have a larger stroller so will need to send that as luggage and figured it would be easier to have it wrapped.

If no anyone know of where to wrap something like that or would just putting it all in a hockey bag be a better idea?
Gate check. Then you can use it with the kid right up until the gate.Putting it in a hockey bag is a pretty good idea. I assume you can still gate check. just bring the empty bag. maybe call the airline to confirm.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #2874
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gate checking is easiest, for sure. The only time I didn't do that was when my boy was still stroller age, but had his own seat on the plane. So we got one of those dolly things (made by Britax) where you mount your car seat to it (because we needed it at the other end, and preferred it on the plane) and wheel your kid trough the airport in their seat like a piece of luggage. Fantastic invention. Kids are way happier in a familiar seat, restrained, and rolling around the airport like a boss. At least my guy was.

We checked the stroller at the oversize baggage without wrapping it, and all was fine. But it wasn't a high end stroller by any means.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #2875
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Vancouver get any A380s? Is it just YYZ with the Emirates? I know Montreal used to get the Air France one from CDG.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #2876
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Does Vancouver get any A380s? Is it just YYZ with the Emirates? I know Montreal used to get the Air France one from CDG.
No YVR does not have sked A380 service. Not even sure one has ever been there either. I read that LH was going to do MUC-YVR in 2013 with the 380. Not sure if that happened though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Art Vandelay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #2877
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't believe LH did the one off A380 flight to YVR. So only YYZ now getting on on a regular schedule.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #2878
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just arrived from ORD this morning:

Departing for Liege, Belgium in a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #2879
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did anyone one get pics of the B-25 that has been out in Airdrie?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #2880
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airbus launched the A330NEO today. Looks quite nice

The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters