Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #21
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t know, the Larsson and Dunn hits are almost identical. I think it’s on Pospisil to ease up in both instances, but both guys stopping the puck and freezing with their head down towards the boards is putting themselves in a horrible position.

I’m comfortable not liking Pospisil taking advantage of guys in an ugly position and deserving a suspension, while also acknowledging that those vets should know way better than that. It’s not like they received a suicide pass, they were being stupid.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:33 AM   #22
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hate how Dunn just stood there with the puck, facing the boards with his back to the play. I just really hate how thats become normal. You should expect to get hit anytime you have the puck. Full stop. He is partly to blame here, put himself in the worst position.

And sometimes players spin at the last second putting themselves in serious danger. I just dont get it. Someone is gonna get seriously hurt and it'll be 'oh its too violent, too much hitting'. No. You're supposed to keep your head up, keep moving, and expect to get hit.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:33 AM   #23
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to work pretty hard to justify the hit when the defender is in that position.
That being said, it's frustrating to see defensemen put themselves in that position strategically to make it harder on the forechecker, knowing that the forechecker has to decide whether to risk a major penalty and possible supplemental discipline to generate a turnover, or give the defenceman an easier out.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:36 AM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I mean, there's the Flames tax and the media is making a big deal of it, so he's getting suspended for sure... but that hit was from the side, and the D saw him coming did nothing to protect himself.

Does it suck to get hit like that? Yes.
Is it dangerous to get hit like that? Yes.
Do players put themselves in a position to get hit like that, hoping to draw a penalty? Yes.
Do some players take the bait more often than others? Yes.
Was that a moment in the game where playing the puck instead of the body (and staying out of the box) would have been a smarter move? Yes.
Did that hit and its ensuing major effectively end our season? Yes.

There were a lot of bad decisions involved in that hit. The biggest takeaway from it should be that Pospisil needs to learn when to ignore the red blanket being waved in his face.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:37 AM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a way to check (not hit) a guy on the boards to fight for the puck. Pospisil could have just pinned him. His instinct is to hit and he has to learn to tether it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:40 AM   #26
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Pospisil was actually thinking he would turn.

Dunn stayed in that position much longer than a dman in that position would.

I think Pospisil actually expected him to turn to be more facing the net and play the puck that direction, and then he would hammer him more to the side / front.

But Dunn never turned so he tried to get him from the side a bit, but the angle he was coming was almost impossible to not get him a bit from the back.

He does seem weird that Dunn didn't re-position his body at all and kept himself in the dangerous position.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:43 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm....yeah. He's gonna have to take a seat for a couple for that one.

No arguments there.

I like edge and I like agitation but that was just straight dangerous. Nope.

Don't get me wrong. Dunn was being an idiot. I have no idea what he thought he was doing just stick handling a couple feet from the boards with his back turned to rest of the rink, that is baffling.

But it doesnt mean you can cram his skull into the boards from behind.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:48 AM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
And Rempe received nothing for that charge on Lyubushkin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Different rules for different organizations.
Rempe: 6'7" 241lbs. No penalty, no media outcry, no response from the league:

Pospisil: 6'2" 173lbs. 5 and a game, media outcry, league response first thing the following morning:

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-05-2024 at 11:52 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:50 AM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
And Rempe received nothing for that charge on Lyubushkin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
5 games because Flames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Different rules for different organizations.
NHL: Ouch, that was a bad hit. Oh, well, he got ejected, all's good.... wait! That was a Flame who made the hit! Suspension!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:52 AM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, Rempe's is worse - more of a charge, and he seems to leave his feet
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 11:52 AM   #31
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
Omg lol

Dunn and done. And I mean done
Old 03-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #32
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen worse go unpunished...its boarding but it isn't even in the numbers

Flames tax
Old 03-05-2024, 12:07 PM   #33
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Rempe: 6'7" 241lbs. No penalty, no media outcry, no response from the league:

Pospisil: 6'2" 173lbs. 5 and a game, media outcry, league response first thing the following morning:

Those are two completely different hits comparing them is ridiculous, comparing them just feeds the league is out to get us MO that happens every time the Flames get a penalty.
Blaming Dunn is stupid, you can't hit from behind, never could. If you have your back to the boards you shouldn't be hit. Driving the player head first into the boards will be a major every time.
Pospisil had many other options as opposed to that type of hit.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #34
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I'd give him a game or two, but Dunn needs to do a better job of not turning.
I don’t disagree that the hit is a suspension but I also agree that Dunn should take some responsibility. He put himself in a dangerous position and you can see him looking over both shoulders for the hit to come. Almost looks like he wanted the hit and penalty.

He can protect himself by moving tight to the boards and turning to be shoulder on the boards. I hate that the player taking the hit has been absolved of responsibility for playing smart.

Not to take away from Pospisil should let up or play it differently and should be suspended but it’s sad that the sport doesn’t also emphasize playing smart to protect oneself. It’s taught in hockey when hitting is introduced.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:12 PM   #35
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Agreed that a suspension is probably the right call on this one.

Mind you, Dunn had put himself in a bad position: head down, two feet from the boards, flat footed, holding the puck. Pospisil shouldn't have laid him out the hard but Dunn shouldn't compromise himself either.
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:13 PM   #36
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
I don’t disagree that the hit is a suspension but I also agree that Dunn should take some responsibility. He put himself in a dangerous position and you can see him looking over both shoulders for the hit to come. Almost looks like he wanted the hit and penalty.

He can protect himself by moving tight to the boards and turning to be shoulder on the boards. I hate that the player taking the hit has been absolved of responsibility for playing smart.

Not to take away from Pospisil should let up or play it differently and should be suspended but it’s sad that the sport doesn’t also emphasize playing smart to protect oneself. It’s taught in hockey when hitting is introduced.

beat me to it
Flames67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:15 PM   #37
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Those are two completely different hits comparing them is ridiculous, comparing them just feeds the league is out to get us MO that happens every time the Flames get a penalty.
Blaming Dunn is stupid, you can't hit from behind, never could. If you have your back to the boards you shouldn't be hit. Driving the player head first into the boards will be a major every time.
No its not. Slightly different but both very bad hits. I think a 7 foot tall guy charging and jumping another foot in the air is worse but...

And sometimes it's a little bit the victims fault. It's part of being an adult. If Dunn wasn't stupid this wouldn't be a thing.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #38
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meh, back in my day that hit would be soft. Guys used to get plastered to the boards retrieving every Puck. Wish there was a balance between protecting players and playing the game hard. WAY too many players protect the Puck by putting themselves in vulnerable positions.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:17 PM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

When a player has his head down and your momentum has you barreling down on them, should players think about shouting "I'm coming up behind you!"?

Gretzky said he used to get this all the time. It's part of respect.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:57 PM   #40
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Rempe also hit a NJ player, looked like a headshot, nothing from the wheels of mystery.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote