Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #521
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah if I were them I wouldn't open that one up. I'm thinking they're bringing her along not because her paint is quite beautiful, but to advertise the new Rouge product out of YYC. They are bringing us a 787 even after all the delays, so we really can't complain about anything at this point.
I was kind of hoping BA would bring an A380 in to really make a splash at the opening. I'm sure it was something that was discussed but given the smackdown that YEG got when AC was "disrespected" by FinnAir....Rouge A319 it is...

(While the 787 is awesome for AvGeeks, 95% of Joe Public can't tell the difference between a 787 and a 737) A giant double decker plane - that they can wrap their heads around and get excited about)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #522
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
AC doesn't run their 777 between LHR-YYC anymore? That was a great plane.
Summer season it has been the A333, winter the 763. However this year the LHR flight just switched up to the 77W (yesterday in fact). So we are now getting two 77W's from AC daily, FRA and LHR.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #523
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I was kind of hoping BA would bring an A380 in to really make a splash at the opening. I'm sure it was something that was discussed but given the smackdown that YEG got when AC was "disrespected" by FinnAir....Rouge A319 it is...

(While the 787 is awesome for AvGeeks, 95% of Joe Public can't tell the difference between a 787 and a 737) A giant double decker plane - that they can wrap their heads around and get excited about)
BA brought Concorde in for the new terminal all those years ago, I'm hoping the airport reaches out to them to bring the A388 for the new terminal opening next year. History repeating itself and all that. So fingers crossed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #524
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Summer season it has been the A333, winter the 763. However this year the LHR flight just switched up to the 77W (yesterday in fact). So we are now getting two 77W's from AC daily, FRA and LHR.
Cool. Just saw both of them take off back to back.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #525
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that Concorde still looks more awesome than anything flying today.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #526
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I was kind of hoping BA would bring an A380 in to really make a splash at the opening. I'm sure it was something that was discussed but given the smackdown that YEG got when AC was "disrespected" by FinnAir Icelandair....Rouge A319 it is...
I feel like Star partner Lufthansa would have been more likely to bring us something, but it's tough to spare an A380 in their schedules.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #527
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah nuts, British Airways has pushed back the start of 787 operations into YYC. First flight will now be August 11th instead of July 15th.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/06/02/ba-yyc-aug14/
Bloody hell! I've been worried about this happening and had a suspicion as soon as I saw the thread bumped. I'm on the July 20th flight and was looking forward to it! The 767s they have been using for the YYC-heathrow run are practically falling apart. Would have picked the 777-300 with AC had I known....

...Meh, maybe not
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #528
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the new runway, it adds capacity to the airfield system, and from what I know, the 2004 master plan has accounted for this and the full build out of the terminal to accompany +35 million passengers per annum.

My question is this, will the parallel runways accommodate the flight traffic that would be beyond +35M passengers? (As well freight) Or would it reach capacity limits, where it would be practical to build another parallel runway to relieve pressure?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #529
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
With the new runway, it adds capacity to the airfield system, and from what I know, the 2004 master plan has accounted for this and the full build out of the terminal to accompany +35 million passengers per annum.

My question is this, will the parallel runways accommodate the flight traffic that would be beyond +35M passengers? (As well freight) Or would it reach capacity limits, where it would be practical to build another parallel runway to relieve pressure?
I'm not an expert but I believe at some point the airlines themselves will increase the capacity available at YYC by using larger planes. For example, Gatwick sees just over 35m passengers are year but only has two runways.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #530
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Bloody hell! I've been worried about this happening and had a suspicion as soon as I saw the thread bumped. I'm on the July 20th flight and was looking forward to it! The 767s they have been using for the YYC-heathrow run are practically falling apart. Would have picked the 777-300 with AC had I known....
Funny enough the BA 767 went mechanical here last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

Addick is pretty much bang on, if YYC does ever get that busy you'd see flights operated with larger aircraft. London Heathrow only operates with two parallel runways and pushes through 72 million passengers a year. Lots of large aircraft making up the traffic there.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #531
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny enough the BA 767 went mechanical here last night.
Is it likely that BA has been using the exact same 767 for this run for years and years? Being the only BA flight in and out of Calgary, I can't see any reason for them to change its route.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #532
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it wouldn't always be the same aircraft operating the route.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #533
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So anyone here going to the new runway run on Saturday or roam on Sunday?

I'll be there (probably with one kid and my father) checking it all out on Sunday. Looking forward to finally seeing the AC 787 up close.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #534
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Going on Sunday at 10:30. Very excited to get the family out. Huge thanks to those on this board who informed me about it a few months ago so I could secure tickets.

(That being said, looking for 2 more if anyone can't make it, please let me know!)

Last edited by rayne008; 06-12-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: still learning english after 30 years
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #535
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My shuttle time on Sunday is the 10:00 to 10:30 block, so we'll be pretty close to you I'm guessing.

I'm wondering if stuff will be spread out on the whole 14,000' of runway? Quite the distance to walk around.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #536
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I will be there on Sunday at 11:00. Looking forward to it. I figure it is a good way to spend fathers day with the kids.
Superflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #537
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'll be riding the length of the runway on Wednesday on the Big Bike! Should be fun.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #538
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
I'm not an expert but I believe at some point the airlines themselves will increase the capacity available at YYC by using larger planes. For example, Gatwick sees just over 35m passengers are year but only has two runways.
Gatwick while having two runways, only really uses the one bigger runway.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #539
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am doing the race on Saturday, should be awesome! Girlfriend and I got our Hal and Joanne costumes ready to go.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #540
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada 787 arrives in Calgary from Toronto as flight 7087 at 8 pm on Saturday night and that is confirmed through multiple people at AC.

They'll probably go chill at the Air Canada hangar then get towed out to the tunnel area on Sunday. Fly out Sunday night.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc