Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the article over complicated things. If this it they way really wanted to go, why not just use the points after Elimination system. Teams in the 9-12 range wouldn't really have a chance to compete for the 1st overall because they would be eliminated with 3 games left, and presumably even the Oilers and Sabers can stumble into 6 or 7 points in 20 games.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't wait for the Flames to become a good team again. Then I can just go back to not really caring about the draft lottery format or even the actual draft for that matter.

Leave it the way it is, let Edmonton pick top 3 the next 30 years in a row.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
googol
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The problem with this is if you traded your draft pick.

Would you want your rivals to pick higher by winning more games? I suppose you move up in the other rounds too, but this could pose to be a problem. Though more minor than the issues with tanking in the current format.
googol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #24
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Some guy, somewhere suggested that draft order be determined based on number of points accumulated after a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I like that a whole lot better than the system suggested here. The crappiest of the crappy teams would still have the best chance of drafting higher (and so they should) as they'd be eliminated earlier and have more games to get points.
I came to post this exact thing. I love this concept, and seems fair and balanced imo. I would LOVE to see this implemented.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Couldn't have said it better, nik
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #26
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
The Oilers sure made a mess of the NHL draft. Never has there been so much talk of revamping the draft, year after year.
And yet somehow they maintain their status as one of the most arrogant fanbases and management groups around. I mean, how much friggen humble pie does someone have to eat before they become, well, humble?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
This is a BS post. We all wish everyday was trade dead line day but come on...its the middle of summer. I'm grateful for qualitly posters on this site and the effort shown in this thread. Its an interesting read if you click on the link the OP provided.
It might be an interesting read, but it's not news. The [News] tag should be saved for news.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It might be an interesting read, but it's not news. The [News] tag should be saved for news.
It's ruined my day too
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft lottery as it is does not need to be changed.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by googol View Post
The problem with this is if you traded your draft pick.

Would you want your rivals to pick higher by winning more games? I suppose you move up in the other rounds too, but this could pose to be a problem. Though more minor than the issues with tanking in the current format.
The lotto has never applied to any round other than the 1st, but I think after ~pick 20 I think it is probably rare that moving up 1 pick would change the guy a team ends up with. I'm sure the teams lists are pretty different by that point.

Edit: 1 pick being the difference for the last 2 draft lottos, I guess it it were moving up 5 picks every round it could make a big difference.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #31
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet they could work out a pretty good system that ditched the draft and let everyone bid up to 2 years of their cap room for each pick. ie, you could bid 15 million for the next 2 years on McDavid, and the club would have to put that in a pool that distributed to the other 29 times and increased the floor and cap by an equivalent amount.

It would make for some nice parity where teams that are already stacked wouldn't be able to make a good bid unless they tried to sell off their players. All sorts of different build and rebuild risk/reward strategies could come into play.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #32
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this suggestion more than the current system, though it is pretty complicated.

But I'm a believer in the wheel now - just a rotation of who picks where. Now that the 'smart' rebuilding method is to tank, the draft doesnt create parity anymore, it wrecks it. Teams that try are punished while teams that deliberately get and stay bad are rewarded - and applauded. Its gross. And getting worse every year.

Anyone at the bottom of the league now is there because they want to be, or because they are inept. Neither should get rewarded at the expense of teams that do their best to give their fans a decent product.

And get off my lawn.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #33
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I like this suggestion more than the current system, though it is pretty complicated.

But I'm a believer in the wheel now - just a rotation of who picks where. Now that the 'smart' rebuilding method is to tank, the draft doesnt create parity anymore, it wrecks it. Teams that try are punished while teams that deliberately get and stay bad are rewarded - and applauded. Its gross. And getting worse every year.

Anyone at the bottom of the league now is there because they want to be, or because they are inept. Neither should get rewarded at the expense of teams that do their best to give their fans a decent product.

And get off my lawn.
I think that "tanking" is fool's gold. There are teams that tank every year and still have no sign of being "rewarded" with a playoff berth.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #34
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Some guy, somewhere suggested that draft order be determined based on number of points accumulated after a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I like that a whole lot better than the system suggested here. The crappiest of the crappy teams would still have the best chance of drafting higher (and so they should) as they'd be eliminated earlier and have more games to get points.
I like that option as well and I actually wrote about that option over 2 years ago in the article that was linked within the linked article in the OP. (see option #2) It's based on an idea from a NBA writer.

Fixing the NHL Entry Draft Lottery System: Playoff For Number One (Plus Three Other Options)
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

lottery for the top 5 picks

group the percentage to remove any real taking, something like bottom 5 teams have 10%, teams 6-10 have 7%, teams 11-14 have 3.75%

can't pick in top 3 back to back, can't pick in top 5 three straight years
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #36
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am a fan of the points after elimination system.

But if they want to stick with the percentages, I suggested this last year, a little complicated but it would make a fun event for TSN or Sportsnet to air.

Get a Giant Lotto Hopper.

17 & 18 - 96 Balls 21.7%
19 & 20 - 64 Balls 14.4 %
21 & 22 - 32 Balls 7.2%
23 & 24 - 16 Balls 3.6 %
25 & 26 - 8 Balls 1.8 %
27 & 28 - 4 Balls 0.9 %
29 - 2 Balls 0.5%
30 - 1 ball 0.25%

Draw one Ball, Whoevers logo comes out gets 14th overall.

Dump all the balls in a out, and have Girls in Yoga Pants with the Tim Hortons Logo on the butt, come in with bags full of replacement balls for each of the remaining teams, while you interview the disappointed AGM of the team whos name just got picked.

Then lets just assume 17th or 18th place got the 14th overall pick. Chances at the 13th overall pick.

18 - 96 Balls 27.7%
19 & 20 - 64 Balls 18.4 %
21 & 22 - 32 Balls 9.2%
23 & 24 - 16 Balls 4.6 %
25 & 26 - 8 Balls 2.3 %
27 & 28 - 4 Balls 1.2 %
29 - 2 Balls 0.6%
30 - 1 ball 0.3%

Sure you would need to print 6202 balls, held in 196 different bags. but how much could that really cost $1000?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #37
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

NBA is doing the same thing, tanking is just inevitable under the current system
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #38
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The correct term is Dishonor for Connor
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #39
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole point of the draft system is to reward bad teams. Any 'fix' that fails to make rewarding bad teams the main feature of the draft misses the point entirely, and will find no traction with the NHL board of governors. And if that bothers you as a fan, you need to recognize that your wants are sometimes at odds with the interests of the people who own the teams.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only issue I have with the "cant pick top 3 2 years a row" or anything similar is it just makes it that much longer for a team to get better. Say Buffalo sucks again this year they auto cant get a generational talent because they picked top 3 last year? So now they will suck for even longer?

I don't see the NHL ever doing this because parity is the best for business. They want teams to get better quicker, because that will make them more money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connor mcdavid , nhl draft , nhl draft lottery , nhl draft system